PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Transitioning from Rules Light Systems to more Rules Heavy

Odo The Brave
2014-08-06, 07:06 PM
So I'm a fairly new GM that has run a handful of sessions so far using the Apocalypse World hack Monster of the Week. It's a fairly rules light system that emphasizes narrative over mechanics, especially during combat. My games so far have been very well received by my group, and I can definitely note that my skills are improving even if I'm not to the point that I want to be at yet in terms of GM skills.

I've starting talking with my players and there seems to be a lot of interest in doing a longer running campaign in a more "traditional" RPG such as Pathfinder or one of the Warhammer 40k RPG games. The only problem is that I have essentially no experience with such systems, and therefore am somewhat intimidated by the idea of running games in systems with so many rules and clearly defined abilities. Can anybody suggest how I might go about familiarizing myself with these more rule intensive games? While I've read the rulebooks a lot I don't know whether I would be able to keep track of everything I needed to in these systems.

Thanks for any responses, I appreciate all suggestions from people about how I might go about becoming more comfortable with these systems.

LibraryOgre
2014-08-06, 07:20 PM
My constant suggestion: Be forgiving of the rules, and keep the game moving.

If it comes down to an argument about how the rules read, make a ruling, keep the game moving, and look it up later (argue it out over e-mail). When in real doubt as to which way to go, go with the interpretation that favors the players.

You WILL mess up the rules. It will happen often. Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

Thrudd
2014-08-06, 07:29 PM
The key to GMing a game with many rules and options is to organize and be prepared. Have a DM screen or laptop with quick references for rules and spells you anticipate will be used regularly. Preparing for a game is a little like preparing for a test. Write out index cards with notes and enemy stats on them, keep a list of the important stats and abilities of all the player characters as well. For Pathfinder, have a chart with standard modifiers for different situations somewhere easily accessible.

Mostly, it just takes practice. At first, you will inevitably need to pause to reference the book a lot during the game, but it will become less as you internalize the details and learn how to prepare more efficiently.

Amidus Drexel
2014-08-06, 08:37 PM
While it helps to be familiar with the system, make sure your players also know the rules. It doesn't matter how well-prepared you are if they don't know how to say, grapple, or aren't sure exactly how their spell works.

In general, though, it's going to take a little practice to get a decent mastery of the system. Don't go into it expecting everything to suddenly click for you, but don't get too worried about not knowing everything - most of the time, you don't need everything.

And I'm going to second Mark Hall and say that being lenient with the rules and just sort of rolling with whatever works is an excellent way to keep things moving. (My players don't mind if we spend a few minutes every few rounds or so looking up things in the book, but my group is pretty patient)

Knaight
2014-08-06, 08:46 PM
Running rules heavy systems if you're more inclined to rules light is going to be difficult. The GM almost always bears the brunt of those systems - but that can be mitigated. That's particularly reasonable in the context of the players pushing for the system. So, shunt some work off. Get a player who likes character building to make some stock characters. Get someone else to track initiative. Get someone who really knows the rules well to print out some reference material. So on and so forth.

Airk
2014-08-07, 01:37 PM
Discuss with your players why they want to play a more "traditional" game and what they see as the benefits. It's entirely possible that what they really want is a longer, more involved game, or more elements of character growth, or even just a "traditional fantasy campaign" all of which can be done without needing to transition to a rules system you're not comfortable with.

Odo The Brave
2014-08-08, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts everybody, it's very encouraging. I'm thinking I may need to borrow another player's laptop or find another to bring along with me- I tend to run games off my laptop and I just don't have enough real estate to be able to have all the reference documents up that I'd like to. I also may be able to get into a couple games as a player in Pathfinder, which would allow me to get a little more hands on experience with the system.

Knaight- Thanks for the suggestion of recruiting players to help me out, I can think of a couple people who would be good to fit a few of those things.

Airk- I think that we are looking for a bit of a longer, more involved game since the system we are using is by its nature designed more for pick up and play games and one shots than long running campaigns. On top of that, some of the players (and I) have considered that it might be fun to get into a bit more clearly defined actions and abilities and enjoying some of the number crunching aspects of these systems.

Thanks again everybody, I think that I'll be able to figure this out with help from my players and enough planning ahead.

Airk
2014-08-11, 08:49 AM
Airk- I think that we are looking for a bit of a longer, more involved game since the system we are using is by its nature designed more for pick up and play games and one shots than long running campaigns. On top of that, some of the players (and I) have considered that it might be fun to get into a bit more clearly defined actions and abilities and enjoying some of the number crunching aspects of these systems.

Just to clarify - you REALLY SHOULD still have the conversation, because what you think can sometimes not be at all what other people think. No game has ever been harmed by making sure everyone's expectations were correct. :)

And the first half of your needs (longer game, more suited to 'campaign play') can easily be done in a lighter system, so there's that.

Also, since you're launching a new game/campaign/whatever and we're talking about setting expectations, it's time for the obligatory link to the Same Page Tool. (http://bankuei.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/the-same-page-tool/)