PDA

View Full Version : Need a grappling hook crossbow

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-04, 08:10 PM
So, are there d20/D&D rules for the famous grappling hook crossbow launcher anywhere, or do I have to homebrew something? It seems odd, but careful searching of the Arms & Equipment Guide, Complete Adventurer, and Complete Scoundrel has failed to turn anything up, and I think those would be the most likely books for such a thing to be in.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-04, 08:31 PM
I could have sworn that there was a grappling hook crossbow (or something like it) in complete scoundrel.

I know I've seen one some where. I'll go check through my books real quick.

Hzurr
2007-03-04, 09:28 PM
The closest thing (and actually better than a simple grappling hook crossbow) would be the Rod of Ropes from Complete Scoundrel. It shoots a grappling hook 300 ft (or just a normal rope if you prefer). It can also do the bi-directional grappling hook that you can slide on.

Remember the origional Batman movie where Batman uses the bi-directional grappling hook to escape the museum, and the Joker just sits there asking "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" The Answer: Complete Scoundrel.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-04, 09:32 PM
Rods are expensive. This is wanted for a low level character.

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-04, 09:44 PM
I saw grappling hook bolt on a list of weapons online. From faerun or eberron, I think. The same setting that has acid arrows, I believe.

daggaz
2007-03-05, 06:47 AM
Just add the cost of a grappling hook, and a masterwork bolt, and then add a little more for the uniqueness/labor factor. Then require it to be shot from a MW heavy crossbow only, loading action takes one full round due to needing to get the rope coiled properly.. Require it to use only silk rope or better. Finally, reduce the range dramatically from that of a normal heavy crossbow, unless they pay even more (at least triple cost) for a really heavy duty crossbow which takes one round to load, one round to pull the lever back. You will probably want to put in an accuracy penalty as well.

Khantalas
2007-03-05, 06:51 AM
Grappling hook crossbow...

Look at Song & Silence or Sword & Fist. Hell, look at Masters of the Wild. I'm certain at least one of them has a grappling hook crossbow.

Doc_Outlands
2007-03-05, 03:33 PM
I think it is in the Dragon article that covered all the various bows. But yeah, I agree - I *know* I've seen one somewhere recently...

Quietus
2007-03-05, 03:45 PM
Song and Silence.

Medium sized ranged weapon : Crossbow, grapple-firing, 70 gp, 1d3 damage, range 120 feet. 12 lbs, peircing damage.

Bolts, grapple (10) - 200 gp. 8 lbs.

I believe Medium weapons worked out to one-handed, when things updated?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 03:51 PM
Yes, they did.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-05, 04:12 PM
Okay, Song & Silence page 51. It didn't occur to me to dig out the old 3.0 books; they've been boxed for awhile. Thanks.

knightsaline
2007-03-06, 01:52 AM
Dragon 349 is the dragon magazine you are looking for. the problem is that you can't use it like a harpoon gun.

Jack Mann
2007-03-06, 03:35 AM
Captain Nemo's too cool for D&D anyway. Even in Eberron.

BnF95
2007-03-06, 04:49 AM
I believe there were also a version of arrowheads that can do this?

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-06, 10:53 AM
I'll be following this thread with interest, because I too am in the camp of "I swear I read this in a recent (ie 3.5) book." But I can't for the life of me remember where. And I do mean a literal grappling crossbow, NOT the Rod of Ropes (although that is a freaking AWESOME item).