PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What spells can a cat cast?

Ettina
2014-08-06, 08:55 PM
OK, I have a tibbit spellcaster. And for the sake of stealth and misdirection, I'd like to try to cast spells from cat form, if possible.

So, what spell components are available to a cat-form tibbit?

Verbal - obviously, she can't speak in cat form, so unless I use silent spells or an item that allows cats to speak, she won't be casting verbal spells as a cat (she is planning to either have a talking cat item or get the silent spell feat, probably)

Somatic - how complex are the hand movements? Could they be done with paws, or do you need fingers to do them? Would it make sense to give them a Dexterity check to see if I can cast them in cat form, and if so, what would be the most logical DCs?

Material/Focus - does she need to manipulate the object, or just be in contact with it? If she had, say, a focus on her collar, would that work?

I know my DM makes the final call, but if I can give him a good argument for something, he'll probably go with it.

Terazul
2014-08-06, 09:01 PM
The tibbit statblock is pretty unambiguous about this.

A tibbit's cat form is unable to speak or use her paws to manipulate fine objects. She cannot cast spells with a verbal or somatic component, use scrolls, or otherwise activate magic items.

Furthermore, since all of your equipment is melded into your form, any spells that also require any components are unavailable (no pouch!), unless you've got Eschew Materials going. Not that you'd be able to manipulate them anyway.

Pretty much why most people recommend going with a psionic class for Tibbits; nothing to stop you from manifesting powers while you're a cat.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-06, 09:21 PM
Savage Species gives us Surrogate Spellcasting, which allows you to use meows and tail-twitches as verbal and somatic components. I personally would've allowed Natural Spell as well, but Surrogate Spellcasting actually works by RAW, so that's helpful.

Eschew Materials is probably what you want to do for the material side–but again, I would consider asking your GM if you can just pick up Natural Spell, since that feat also allows you to use any spell components or foci you have in your possession, even if they're melded into your current form.

Ettina
2014-08-07, 08:55 AM
OK, that sounds workable.

One more question. What does AF stand for? Necrotic cyst says one of it's components is AF, and I can't find any info on what that it.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-07, 09:00 AM
Arcane Focus.

SimonMoon6
2014-08-07, 12:37 PM
No cute pun replies?

Like, a cat can cast "Magic Meowth"?

:disappointed:

Hazrond
2014-08-07, 12:45 PM
OK, I have a tibbit spellcaster. And for the sake of stealth and misdirection, I'd like to try to cast spells from cat form, if possible.

So, what spell components are available to a cat-form tibbit?

Verbal - obviously, she can't speak in cat form, so unless I use silent spells or an item that allows cats to speak, she won't be casting verbal spells as a cat (she is planning to either have a talking cat item or get the silent spell feat, probably)

Somatic - how complex are the hand movements? Could they be done with paws, or do you need fingers to do them? Would it make sense to give them a Dexterity check to see if I can cast them in cat form, and if so, what would be the most logical DCs?

Material/Focus - does she need to manipulate the object, or just be in contact with it? If she had, say, a focus on her collar, would that work?

I know my DM makes the final call, but if I can give him a good argument for something, he'll probably go with it.

Fun fact, tibbits qualify for several special feats and a special skill called Handle Humanoid, check out the Fabulous Cats article

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-07, 01:42 PM
Said article has been swallowed by the archive of devouring. You can find it here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c). :smallcool:

It's as goofy as you'd expect, but there's some useful stuff there. The Collar of Perpetual Attendance may or may not be the best magical item.

dascarletm
2014-08-07, 02:24 PM
No cute pun replies?

Like, a cat can cast "Magic Meowth"?

:disappointed:

I know they can also cast Purrmanency, and automatically can choose to have a Revivify effect go off once they die. It can only be used 8 times though.

Also Mordenkainen's Hideous Furball

Graypairofsocks
2014-08-08, 04:00 AM
Fun fact, tibbits qualify for several special feats and a special skill called Handle Humanoid, check out the Fabulous Cats article

Note that the "Fabulous Cats" is an April Fools article, so your DM might not allow some of it.

Though the Collar of Perpetual Attendance and the some of the spells are less ridiculous then the rest of the article.

Ettina
2014-08-09, 09:56 AM
My GM has allowed me to give my tibbit the Natural Spell feat.

Firechanter
2014-08-09, 11:28 AM
Note that using a Secret Chest might be problematic, since the tibbit will always jump in as soon as it is opened.

KillianHawkeye
2014-08-09, 11:39 AM
Note that using a Secret Chest might be problematic, since the tibbit will always jump in as soon as it is opened.

That really depends... is your Secret Chest made out of cardboard? Or possibly a suitcase? I haven't known cats to jump into any old box.... :smallamused: