Nevrmore
2007-03-04, 08:29 PM
Artifical
Research and
Telecommunication (em)
Inspection
Satellite

Otherwise known as Artemis.

A satellite orbiting the planet that Town is situated on. It contains small quarters for a few beings to live on, although any normal organism could not stay there for extended periods as it was designed to house a robot.

Every so often, a light blinks to life as new information from the distant realm Mechanus is received by the satellite, which subsequently sends it directly to the robot in question - Nomos.

There is artificial gravity and air inside the chamber, but only because Nomos hasn't noticed nor cared enough to turn them off.

The Fool
2007-03-04, 08:34 PM
Artifical
Lowly
Land
Overhead

(( Not that this is as bad an acronym as F.E.A.R. (They quite obviously came up with this great acronym and had a ton of trouble figuring out what to transcribe it too, its the only explanation!) but I found a slight error in your acronym. Unless you mean for The Town to be above this satellite shouldn't "Overhead" be something else then? Or if you mean that the satellite is seeing the Town in the horizon, which might explain the "Overhead." Meh, just ignore me if you want, I am stingy and ravenous.

EDIT: And of course I fall to my own folly. My point about F.E.A.R. remains though. Artemis is just as good though, so I guess this'll be by the moon(s?) then? ))

Nevrmore
2007-03-04, 08:36 PM
(( Not that this is as bad an acronym as F.E.A.R. (They quite obviously came up with this great acronym and had a ton of trouble figuring out what to transcribe it too, its the only explanation!) but I found a slight error in your acronym. Unless you mean for The Town to be above this satellite shouldn't "Overhead" be something else then? Or if you mean that the satellite is seeing the Town in the horizon, which might explain the "Overhead." Meh, just ignore me if you want, I am stingy and ravenous. ))
((I didn't like Apollo since there was already a famous space program named after the god of music, so I changed it!

Incidentally, since I couldn't think of anything for E or M to stand for in Artemis, I just added them in willy-nilly))

The Fool
2007-03-04, 08:38 PM
((I didn't like Apollo since there was already a famous space program named after the god of music, so I changed it!

Incidentally, since I couldn't think of anything for E or M to stand for in Artemis, I just added them in willy-nilly))

(( Artemist doesn't get enough credit. Too bad the only stories involving her are ones where people are actively attempting to seduce her, saw her naked by chance thus compromising her chastity and precluding violent, angering her in another way that precluded violence, or where every other god is involved. At least she didn't get beaten by Cupid like poor Apollo. ))

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-03-05, 12:10 AM
((Incidentally, since I couldn't think of anything for E or M to stand for in Artemis, I just added them in willy-nilly))

Just one of the scientists stuttering;

"Now this is the Artifical Research and Telecommunication, em *checks notes*, Inspection Satellite."

Nevrmore
2007-03-05, 12:21 AM
Just one of the scientists stuttering;

"Now this is the Artifical Research and Telecommunication, em *checks notes*, Inspection Satellite."
"Eric, you've done it again!"

"My name's Kevin, sir."

"Shut up."

AmberVael
2007-03-05, 12:46 AM
(( Artemis doesn't get enough credit. Too bad the only stories involving her are ones where people are actively attempting to seduce her, saw her naked by chance thus compromising her chastity and precluding violent, angering her in another way that precluded violence, or where every other god is involved. At least she didn't get beaten by Cupid like poor Apollo. ))
((Oh come on, you can practically give such a statement for every Greek/Roman deity.
"The only stories involving Zeus are ones where he is attempting to seduce beautiful women or where he is passing judgement, or where every other god is involved."
"The only stories involving Hera are ones where she is attempting to prove that she is better than Zeus, or where every other god is involved."
"The only stories involving Hades are ones where an adventurer has to go down into the underworld to retrieve someone, or where every other god is involved."
See? Really not too hard.
Its because the Greek gods are caricatures of humans))

Nevrmore
2007-03-05, 04:29 PM
Namos appears in the small quarters aboard the ship. He manually adjusts the satellite's orbit so as to be out of the way of the giant starship battle happening a few miles away. After he is done, he warps away.

The Fool
2007-03-06, 10:04 PM
((Oh come on, you can practically give such a statement for every Greek/Roman deity.
"The only stories involving Zeus are ones where he is attempting to seduce beautiful women or where he is passing judgement, or where every other god is involved."
"The only stories involving Hera are ones where she is attempting to prove that she is better than Zeus, or where every other god is involved."
"The only stories involving Hades are ones where an adventurer has to go down into the underworld to retrieve someone, or where every other god is involved."
See? Really not too hard.
Its because the Greek gods are caricatures of humans))

(( Actually Hera was the quintessential representation of the jealous wife who could never quite catch her adultering husband and punished the unfortunate mistresses and children as a result. I also think she represents a large inferiority complex as she constantly thinks her husband is cheating on her, which he is.

And I wouldn't say caricatures exactly, more like infallible embodiments of a thing that the humans corrupted and made infallible with their mingling of modern tales into the origins about the gods. They were like the ancient GrecoRoman gossip column of the Mediterranean. :smallwink: ))

AmberVael
2007-03-06, 10:13 PM
(( Actually Hera was the quintessential representation of the jealous wife who could never quite catch her adultering husband and punished the unfortunate mistresses and children as a result. I also think she represents a large inferiority complex as she constantly thinks her husband is cheating on her, which he is))
((I think we both have half. That is what she does, true, but you have to admit that she tries to compete with Zeus as well.
For example, one version of the birth of Athena has her born entirely from Zeus, without the need for a mother.
Attempting to best Zeus, as normal, Hera gave birth to Hephaestus. When he was born lame/misformed/ugly/whatever, she threw him down from Olympus.

Plus, in the Iliad you can see her competing with Zeus quite frequently))

((And I wouldn't say caricatures exactly, more like infallible embodiments of a thing that the humans corrupted and made infallible with their mingling of modern tales into the origins about the gods. They were like the ancient GrecoRoman gossip column of the Mediterranean. :smallwink: ))
((The reason I say caricatures is because they have human qualities blown out of proportion and exaggerated. Such a thing tends to happen with gossip, no?))

J_Muller
2007-03-06, 10:17 PM

((So true. I can only imagine that some of his conquests are simply to see if he could or something. Sort of like this: Zeus and Some other random god are having a drink together--
Some other random god: I'm the smoothest one there is with the ladies.
Zeus: No, I am. I can go from zero to sex within fifteen minutes of seeing a woman.
Some other random god: Sure, in your regular form with huge muscles and a crown of lightning. But if you're really smooth, you could do it in some other form. Like, a swan or something.
Zeus: You're on.
Zeus leaves, goes among mortals in swan form, and within ten minutes has had sex with a beautiful mortal woman, not only winning the bet but getting her pregnant and causing the Trojan War sometime down the line.
Some other random god: Dang. Guess the next round's on me.

And, yes, Zeus and Hera bickered incessantly. No wonder Zeus spent so much time outside the house.))

Nevrmore
2007-03-06, 10:19 PM
((Hey guys, how about we cut out all the OOC? Wouldn't that be splendiferous?))

AmberVael
2007-03-06, 10:21 PM
((^: No. :smalltongue: *turns up OOC knob*))

J_Muller
2007-03-06, 10:21 PM
((^: No. :smalltongue: *turns up OOC knob*))

((We go up to eleven.:smalltongue:))

Nevrmore
2007-03-06, 10:52 PM
The satellite lights to life for a moment as it redirects a signal into Nomos's compu-brain.

Nekulor
2007-03-07, 02:09 PM
*closed communication*
Stay out of this conflict. When I've cleaned up this scouting group, I'll move out of interference range. Don't worry. My technicians have just finished installing your new set of phase shields. They can take most of a direct hit from my best guns. Enjoy. As compensation for your understanding, I've also sent plans for an upgrade to your station that would increase range and output by 60%

Xerillum
2007-03-07, 07:41 PM
Another satellite passes by, and sets a gravitational lock on the ARTEMIS. It begins to orbit, and gathers information on the other spacecraft. It locks on plasma beams, and raises ion shields.

Nekulor
2007-03-07, 07:44 PM
*Nekulor's lead tech on the site pulls out his plasma rocket launcher and fires on the enemy satellite*

Nevrmore
2007-03-07, 07:45 PM
And suddenly, Nomos.

The mecha looks out a window, noting with irritation the artificial moon he's picked up. He sends a communique to the second satellite.

"Fly away, little duckling, before I have to destroy you."

Nekulor
2007-03-07, 07:51 PM
*comm from Nekulor's tech*

Your new shields are almost up. We needed to install a larger generator than first thought. Also, your output range has been upgraded. We've fired warning shots at the hostile satellite, but the damned thing won't leave.

Xerillum
2007-03-07, 09:01 PM
The ship easily blocks the shots with it's shield. Hee hee, don't you worry, little dude, I'm just checkin' the specs on this here tin can of a sattelite! The RECON, or Reconnoitering possible Enemy Crafts Or Networks fires it's rudimentary thrusters, and breaks its lock. and prepares to make a landing in the Town.