PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Concept Help - Deva Invoker of Fate

hoosier03
2014-08-06, 10:14 PM
I'm never very good at making interesting characters (not for lack of trying mind you), but I feel like I'm onto something here and i'm hoping some of you can help me flush it out a bit. I've got a new campaign starting up in about a week and i'm looking to have a few interesting quirks to play for my character by then. As a quick summary, this is a 4e game(not particularly relevant but just in case you care), and i'm playing a Deva/Aasimar Invoker of the Raven Queen. I know what your thinking, Raven Queen again? Well not this time. You see, this character isn't focused around her Death domain at all. In fact, he is rarely concerned with death other than putting down the occasional meandering lich. Instead, he is entirely obsessed with Fate.

So far the shtick is this;

The character has the purified soul background (Deva Racial), and is in the process of bouncing back from several lifetimes as a Rakhasha. He (for whatever reason) credits the raven queen for intervening and pulling him back from the abyss. He now is reborn in each life as a Fatekeeper of the raven queen. The Fatekeeper (entirely something I made up) is an agent of the Raven Queen entrusted with the duty of adjusting, correcting, and fixing fate on behalf of the raven queen (as only an invoker can do). I've Included the full background below, but in general I see him a True Neutral and completely enamored with his own personal savior. He doesn't see death as something sad, or even a particularly big deal. He kind of moves about his day. Between the tenants of the Raven Queen and his own nature as a Deva/Aasimar he doesn't really get all the fuss.

He doesn't have a great insight into anyone's fate, but he does have a sense of whether your important to the Queens plans or not. Perhaps he might get glimpses of your someones true fate, I'm not too sure. I imagine he'll have something of a hit list given to him by the raven queen as people he needs to 'handle' in some way or another. Further, he may keep a detailed journal to reconcile his actions against 'the grand plan' and make sure he himself isn't causing issues. In general, you may want to think of the movie 'wanted' where they are watching the tapestry of fate. Kinda the same thing. I thought of making a random table I could roll on to determine what somebodies 'fate' is. But i'm not sure what action I could take without disrupting the GMs plans.

As you can see I haven't got this thought through all the way. In particular, I want to make sure i'm not interfering/disrupting anyone else in the group. And I want to have some good/easy to roleplay quirks that others might find entertaining.

Does anyone have any advice? Thoughts? Concerns? Any ideas at all are welcome.

Azrael, Fatekeeper of the Raven Queen

The Raven Queen has many names, the 'Goddess of Death', the 'Daughter of Winter', and perhaps most overlooked is the 'Lady of Fate'. While she does not plan how a mortal's life may go, she does watch the tapestry of fate unfold on the grandest scale imaginable. From her sanctuary in the shadowfell she watches centuries pass and civilizations rise and fall. From this perspective she is far less concerned with any one individual, but is deeply interested in how each of these fates work together to produce a much larger result.
Given such a large tapestry and the unpredictability inherent in the world, fate is an ever-changing and mercurial thing. While she keepers her goals to herself, the Raven Queen is not above manipulating the course of events to achieve her own ends. With so many factors constantly changing things, she depends on her invokers, called the Fatekeepers to make small course corrections in fate by her command. They represent the will of the Lady of Fate among mortal men.

Azrael is but one of these Fatekeepers. An Aasimar man reborn only but two years ago, he is a deeply devout man whose faith borders on fanaticism. While generally private with his beliefs, he will not stand for her name to be slighted and will vehemently defend her or further her goals at any opportunity. Generally, Azrael is a patient, calm, and collected man in a way that only an Assimar can be. Not easily offended, even when he should be, and always responds with a polite smile.

As a Fatekeeper, he is responsible for protecting the integrity of fate. Understanding that things will fall as they should, his chief responsibility is preventing the derailment of fate and making course corrections when things are not going according to the plan. Those with an important fate should be defended, others are simply too unimportant to be concerned with, others still have been marked for removal by the lady of fate. As the tapestry of fate is so complex, the instructions given may seem unrelated and nonsensical. Today you may need to help an elderly man cross the street, the next you may need to protect an evil despot; it takes great faith to trust in the lady of Fate.

Azrael is a tall but slender man, bald, and covered in the porcelain colored skin. Spread about his body, from his bald head to his toes are various black and grey patterns common among Assimar. A unique pattern is covers his back however, dark hued angelic wings, which of course is a common symbol of the Raven Queen.

Calen
2014-08-07, 03:50 PM
Just a thought. Are you allowed Themes? The seer background would mesh well with this perhaps allowing some nice interactions with your teammates. You might also ask about your GM about s/he telling you what the Raven Queen thinks of a particular creature.

hoosier03
2014-08-07, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the idea, I'll definitely add the seer template. It makes too much sense not to. I would like to have some input from my gm on fate and what not, but I'm reluctant to put extra pressure on him as he is still new.

Any ideas for quirks or behaviors?

MunkeeGamer
2014-08-16, 08:59 AM
It sounds pretty solid as it is. You've got background, motivation, and appearance. Now it's the job of you and your DM to flesh it out from here. Giving this character plot hooks is incredibly easy. Raven Queen sends her desires via dream, nightmare, intuition, or even talking Raven. Then Azrael makes it happen without question.

The true neutral motivation is perfect with this character concept. Like you said, helping an old man across the street or being the number two general for an evil dictator are equally valid choices so long as the Raven Queen wills it. It's obvious to Azrael that her will leads to the greater good (which is defined by him to be the Stability of Fate.)

As for quirks, there are all kinds you could go with. Leaving a raven's feather on the bodies of those successfully assassinated in the name of Queen. Have him knitting in his down time as a form of devotion and prayer to the tapestry of fate. If he has some piece of jewelry or trinket that represents his devotion to Her, have him holding it or rubbing it between his fingers constantly. Just to name a few.

I think it's up to you to come up with the final minute details. Is he totally patient and stoic no matter what's going on? Or does that patience run out the second someone stands in his way? Is he a patient and wise devotee or a ticking-time-bomb fanatic?

As far as the group's story and stepping on people's toes, that's a general concern for everyone, I think. I'd suggest running all your ideas through the DM and let them filter it out into the game world. You said they're new, so take it upon yourself to be clear that the DM has final say. Like, "Here's this idea I had from the Raven Queen, don't feel any pressure to make it official, but feel free to use it however you want in the game world." DMing can be a lot of pressure, so doing you're part to alleviate that would make you a great player. ::smallsmile: