PDA

View Full Version : Megacontinent [IC]

Vellus
2014-08-06, 10:24 PM
A lone observer stands atop a grand building of stone, an effort of some few years in the completing. Historic records don't quite allow a completely accurate summation of the period in which the La'kyesian capital's oldest inn was constructed, but mostly due to a cleric misplacing the proper files. A tail flicked around her leg. Long, slender and furred it extended up to her own waist, casually moving about. Feline ears twitched over scarlet eyes and an otherwise human face. Sharp, long canines expose themselves as the woman yawns with the first breaking of dawn. Ignoring the shades of reds and purples that begin to dot the brightening sky, she turns and walks across the roof, accessing a hatch and ladder which allowed her access to the inn's second floor. Her sensitive ears pick up the sound of a muffled whimper. A wind brushes the stone rooftop as a smile takes her face, curving around the building, breaking against the solid object.

Tendrils of that wind make it past through the city, forming a slight breeze in some streets. A child runs down the street, curling hair taken by the gust. The day begins with the first rays of gold peaking past the distant horizon, the sunrise soon to fade into the blue skies of day. Merchants hawk their wares and servants begin their chores, houses freshly cleaned begin to be dirtied. In length, the wind gusts past the fortress building at the heart of the city. Within the walls, Wogan sits his throne, having foregone sleep the night before, taking counsel with his highest confidantes in the most recent years. And the wind continues past, soon to make its way beyond the city, where other stone walls lay and adventure awaits.

One lonesome woman finds herself at a checkpoint to enter the city. It is the first step on a much greater journey. Beyond this gate lies the first of many streets, all arranged carefully. Long ago Wogan saw fit to plan for the eventual expansion of his seat of power; the streets are arranged in a grid, with streets wide enough to permit carriages and horses. Few of the latter roam the streets, most with people atop their backs likely delivering an early morning letter while the former are fewer still, with none in direct sight of the gate. La'kyesis is a city with distinct districts; traveling left at the gate will take one, in order, to the following districts only to loop around to the gate once more: the residential district split into four subdistricts, the merchant's district also split in two, the secular district where the La'kyesian temples are housed, the martial district for those seeking combat training, the schooling district and the smallest district housing all the necessities of government.

Beyond these districts and the gridded streets, the fortress sits in the direct middle of the city, surrounded by a moat. Each district has streets directly leading to the street surrounding the moat. There are a total of four gates into the city and a garrison for the town guard and military at each, as well as a smaller such building within every district, to promote order in the streets. Though the guard typically works outside of the fortress itself, with a main garrison inside the fortress's walls, there is a secondary garrison within the martial district maintained and equipped to take over if necessary. The captain of the guard is an elven woman by the name of Nassana a'Vila.

As the day dawns and sunrise gives way, the gate opens, allowing a traveler to make her way into the city. Soon after, the gate closes again, pulled shut by a complex mechanism. The air is tinged with a tangible feeling of power for a brief moment. Wind breaks against the wall, slides past buildings and leaves the city entirely. This day, for all the days before and to come, marks a change, a direction and a beginning. As the city awakens, thus is noted.

ddude987
2014-08-07, 07:35 AM
Lucie Finchey slows her pace, staring around, gawking at the city. So many people in one place She marvels at how such things are remotely possible. She begins to meander down street after street, with no clue as to where she is or where she wishes to be.

Vellus
2014-08-07, 12:33 PM
As the traveler walks aimlessly, she passes into the martial district, the sounds of practiced combat muffled behind sturdy walls. Around her pass a variety of people. Some are rushing, others are unhurried and a number would seem to be passing from one building to another. Most seem possessed of a purpose, though others, as the traveler herself, seem strange to the city, unaware of its nature and aimless. If she chooses not to remain in this area, the traveler will find herself passing into the secular district. As one leaves behind the strict, sparsely built and decorated buildings in the martial district, they begin to encounter larger constructions, some open to the sun and others walled.

ddude987
2014-08-07, 05:53 PM
She continues on, now gawking at the large scale buildings. how are these people all fed and watered?

She marvels at the beauty of such structures, yet feels a longing to see nature once again. What was she to do in this stone jungle she had not a clue.

Vellus
2014-08-09, 10:13 PM
As the traveler wandered the city, her legs tracked her through a short tour of the secular district. Forth and back, her meandering, random steps stay in the district until the skies begin to darken. As the sky turns from blue to the scattering reds of sunset, the traveler's steps pass through into the residential district. Here lay the city's inns, old and new, spaced between houses. Here too are the social gathering spots; fountains and parks, taverns and other assorted areas. Visitors are encouraged to traverse to their heart's content!

[DM note: Roll a spot check + another d20 roll.]

ddude987
2014-08-09, 10:21 PM
spot: [roll0]
another roll O.o [roll1]

Lucie walks over to one of the fountains, sits on the edge, and pulls out parchment. She begins making a charcoal drawing of the sunset and the puffy clouds in the sky. As the sun sets, and darkness rules the streets, she puts her paper away and walks into an inn.

In the inn, she sits at a table, orders the hot meal, and a glass of red wine.

Vellus
2014-08-09, 11:53 PM
The traveler enters an inn. A woman working there nods at the request. "Would you rather the wine now, or when your meal is prepared?" She seems unhurried; there are few other customers here, though the inn appears to be well cared for. The sign declares the property's name Harren's Rest with a sign depicting a simple rooster wearing a comical sleeping hat, laying on its back. She idly flicks a strand of dark hair and cradles it behind an ear as she awaits the traveler's response.

Around this time, the traveler becomes aware of a subtle suggestion. She would recognise it as being similar to the call the goddess Merida uses. In fact, it seems to be the same thing, but somewhat guideless.

ddude987
2014-08-10, 12:02 AM
Smiling, The wine now please. Lucie looks down at her hands, staring at something, then, still looking down, asks the waitress as an afterthought, and some cheese if you have it.

Vellus
2014-08-10, 01:06 AM
"Be right there with it, then," she says, turning and walking off. Moments pass. If the traveler takes the time to observe her surroundings, she'll find a pair of men at one table, talking in casual tones, the apparent innkeep, a middle-aged man with dark hair and plain features. His outfit sticks out only in that it is completed by the inclusion of an apron. At one end of the room is a fireplace, burning quite strongly, a woman sitting on a rug placed a short distance in front of the fire. A set of stairs ascend to what is presumably a few floors of rooms. The floors are wood and decorated with a few rugs. Upon the walls are a few paintings, nothing outstanding; seems to be local fair.

ddude987
2014-08-10, 06:50 AM
The traveler once again pulls out paper and begins making charcoal drawings. Accenting the architecture of the room over the people, she begins to draws a picture that does the bar justice. Focusing on the interior of the building itself, sharp defined corners, rafters, and various structural decorations that neither exist nor make sense, make up the drawing.

Completing her drawing, she examines the room again. The fireplace, with a low dying fire, needs to be fixed. Meandering over, Lucie grabs some firewood stacked off to the side of the fire and lays (lies?) a few logs on. She begins to head back to her seat. I wonder if my wine is there.

First - italics = thoughts
second - use color for dialogue :D

Vellus
2014-08-10, 07:45 PM
While the wine was not present at the moment the traveler arrived back at her table, it was in the process of arriving, the woman from before placing a simple cup upon the table, a small plate of cheese accompanying the drink. "Your meal will be just a few minutes more." However, instead of moving off again, the woman instead takes another seat at the same table. "Noticed you scratching away at that paper. Wonder what brings you here. After something?" The pair of men at their table split up, with one heading up the stairs to the room, the other remaining at his seat. At the fire, the lady drops another log upon it.

ddude987
2014-08-10, 07:52 PM
What am I after? Lucie consideres her words carefully. I'm after something, what that is, I don't know. I've been... called... or felt a calling here. This city, it has something for me. As to my drawing, architecture interests me. The older the building the more I enjoy drawing, especially temples or ruins. Lucie pauses a moment before continuing. Do you know of any such attractions in this place?

Vellus
2014-08-10, 09:21 PM
"Attractions? Well, it's temples you're after the secular district will make you happy. All sorts of temples to Destra and the others, some small shrines to other religions." As she talks, the woman gets a slightly sour face. "Has a graveyard if you're after that. But... as to ruins... The king doesn't allow anything broken or in disrepair to remain so. We always have some fixing project going up in the city and the surrounding areas. Although, the oldest building in the city is the fortress itself - even has its old moat still." It would appear that the ruler is against the idea of allowing ruins to happen. That considered, La'kyesis is still something of an old city, with old buildings aplenty.

"Will you be staying the night...?" There is a trailing pause after the woman's words.

ddude987
2014-08-12, 07:39 AM
I wonder if there are any ruins in the undercity. hmm... I wonder if there IS an undercity. Lucie thought. Taking a long sip of wine, before responding to the waitress. I'll be staying the night. She gingerly takes out several silver pieces and places them in the waitresses palm. This should cover the meal and the night.

Lucie takes another sip of wine, patiently waiting for her meal to arrive. Her fingers drum on the table, Lucie deep in thought. What am I to do in this strange place. Why did I come here.

Vellus
2014-08-12, 09:35 PM
The woman nods. "Should, yes, thank you." A voice calls out, sounding muffled, its words distorted beyond recognition. At that, she stood and waved to the traveler. Moments later, a plate containing a simple meal with some meat and what appeared to be a type of gravy splattered on it. Accompanying the meat is a vegetable. "Hope its to your liking, friend. Name's Jill, yours?" Apparently taking the name to heart, Jill sits at the table once more, carrying a cup of some spirit or another from which she takes a long chug.

ddude987
2014-08-13, 05:17 PM
Unaccustomed to much social interaction, Lucie shifts slightly uncomfortably. My name is Lucie. Lucie takes a sip of her wine, and begins cutting the meat with a dagger. Care to join me tomorrow? I need a guide for the city.

Vellus
2014-08-13, 07:22 PM
A nod, a pleasant smile. As the traveler is unaccustomed, Jill in fact is quite actively social. "Of course. You want to see the temples, then?"

ddude987
2014-08-13, 09:28 PM
In the morning light, yes. The older and grander the better. Lucie drains the cup of wine, politely asking for another.

Vellus
2014-08-18, 07:12 PM
"As you say. Now then, I'll fetch you that wine and see you when the morningsun shines." This said as Jill stands. A short minute later the woman returns with the requested replacement glass. "Sleep peacefully, Lucie."

ddude987
2014-08-21, 10:44 AM
Lucie finishes her drink and meal. She retires to her room for an attempt at peaceful sleep, locking the door behind her.

Vellus
2014-08-22, 01:10 AM
Having decided to end her day, the traveler ascends the staircase, finding her room. It is a modest resting place, by city standards. It possessed a bed fit for one sleeper with a comfortable if worn mattress. A clean blanket was folded atop a table along with a pillow. There were other useful things in the room for her convenience as well as a small rope on one wall. A small note nearby indicates that the rope may be tugged to call for service if it be needed. *

As the traveler was preparing to sleep, she heard the noise of a window opening in the adjacent room as well as vague sounds like cloth rustling. There's a frustrated grunt - and then there's a muffled sound of feet lightly tapping against the ground a floor below, outside. Straining her ears, the traveler would hear footsteps walking the length of the building.

*(Actual die rolled a 17. Listen Check bonus is 8, total roll 25, which leads to...)

ddude987
2014-08-25, 06:22 PM
Curious Lucie steps lightly (move silently) [roll0] towards the window, opens it, and peeks outside.

Vellus
2014-08-30, 12:25 AM
However, despite taking care and usually being fairly decent at this whole being quiet thing, the traveler pulled too hard on the window as she opened it, eliciting a loud bang. Below, in the darkness, a face quickly turned to stare at the opened window. A sharp intake of breath could be heard before rapidly retreating footsteps. Moments later from the window next door, another person climbs out and drops down, ignoring the watching wanderer and clearly moving in the same direction as the first person.

In a moment, the two will be out of sight of the inn window, taking a left into a nearby alley.