PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Which path to necromancy?

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-08-07, 06:45 AM
So I've been invited to a game of Pathfinder and I've already set in my mind to play a necromancer, because honestly why would you ever play anything that's not a necromancer?
Now Pathfinder is a wonderful game and a big part of what makes it so wonderful is the class archetypes. If you want to theme your character around a certain set of skills, there's most definately an archetype for that and if it's a certain type of magic you can approach that magic from almost any direction. And here is where the variety starts to bog me: There's literally 4 different ways (that I've read so far) to make a necromancer or something close to it.

There's the arcane school of necromancy, which is always fun. Hunting for forbidden knowledge in old tomes, discretly carrying off a fresh cadaver after battle so you can do some hands-on research, a neat little laboratory in the basement behind a hidden trap door in your study, trying to keep up the normal friendly but eccentric wizard appearance to your friends and neighbours and all that. It's a good lifestyle (har har) but it doesn't really mix with the travelling adventurer job. On the other hand it's the simplest to justify in backstory, all it takes is stumbling across some old spellbook in the library with some juicy, alluring notes that promise power over life and death.

Then there's the undead lord archetype for the cleric, which I also like a lot. Life after death is a pretty big concern for every religion after all, makes sense that some folks who have dedicated their lives to seeking the meaning of things might look towards extending their lives, for whatever reason. A lot of people see undead as evil abominations and I would like to teach them the error of their ways. Only problem with that is, I don't know which gods exactly my GM is gonna run with for the game and to be frank none of the gods in the death domain in the core rulebook are all that appealing to me. I also see this working much better with the concept I have in mind, my necromancer is going to be from a frontier town deep in the wilderness, not much chance for a classical education but probably very religious.

I also like the blight druid. Vermin and pestilence and all that vile and disgusting goodness, because life is vile and disgusting. A healthy respect of death as part of the natural cycle turned into twisted death worship, very classic fall-from-grace story except after the fall they are in fact more in tune with the cosmos that they were before, so suck it non-blight druids! Let's see who can reach enlightenment first when you're all just gonna die one day and I'm not! I also very much like the idea of a necromancer who is also an outdoorsman, if I can avoid making my character just another lab geek hanging out in libraries and crypts all day and who couldn't throw a punch or jog a mile if his life depended on it. Magic is nice, but I also would like for my character to be able to knock some heads when he has to. Again, this also works nicely with the frontier town background.

And lastly there's the gravewalker witch. I adore the witch class in Pathfinder, it's basically a big mean old middle-finger to everything I don't like about the arcane magic users. Magic isn't science, you can't contain it in books and scrolls and define it with rational thought, magic is wild and crazy and weird ad most importantly alive. Magic doesn't want to be scrutinized over with a scientific mind, it wants to be seduced and coaxed and sometimes it likes it rough. It wants sex and death and love and fear and bonds and sacrifice and the witch is all about that. A gravewalker witch with a spirit patron is pretty much my ideal class for the character I have in mind, the only problem since it's not a core class and kind of out-there, I don't know of my GM will get it and I don't want to hold up the game. Also this is his first time playing Pathfinder and I want to go easy on him, I know he can handle the heroic fantasy theme because he's run DSA for our group and others before, but Pathfinder is a very different beast in balance and mechanics. So should I push for it anyway or settle for one of the other classes for the game's sake? I feel like I could contribute so much more to the party and to the story as a witch, but I'm willing to compromise since thankfully I have options.

Which class do you think is the best to represent a necromancer and why? Also is it okay to force a non-core class on a GM new to the system right away in his first game?

Segev
2014-08-07, 07:06 AM
Personally, I go with the wizard version. But you obviously like the gravewalker witch, so I recommend going with that. Make sure you know your character inside and out, and have a "cheat sheet" you can give your GM with the end effects of which you're capable to make things easy on him.

Hamste
2014-08-07, 07:29 AM
I think Juju Oracle if we are allowed to say somesomething not there. It represents all it means to be a necromancer, getting the maximum undead possible. The agent of the grave prestige class counts itself twice for things like animate undead so you get up to 12 hd per level plus your command undead but it loses a caster level.

Amphetryon
2014-08-07, 07:34 AM
Black-Blooded Juju Oracle is a really good representation of type. Personally, though, I'd go for the Gravewalker Witch, simply because it's the one you say best fits the character that's in your head.

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-08-07, 07:56 AM
Hadn't even considered an oracle, looking into it right now through the Pathfinder wiki and it looks really good. Still it presents the same problem as the gravewalker witch, my GM is probably gonna have no idea what to do with it since it's not in the core rulebook and I don't want to be that guy who forces his own obscure special character class into the game.

Segev
2014-08-07, 08:16 AM
Hadn't even considered an oracle, looking into it right now through the Pathfinder wiki and it looks really good. Still it presents the same problem as the gravewalker witch, my GM is probably gonna have no idea what to do with it since it's not in the core rulebook and I don't want to be that guy who forces his own obscure special character class into the game.

Do you own the book? If so, loan it to the GM for a week or two to let him read up on the class.

If not, point him to the SRD.

But in any event, all you REALLY need to do is write your character sheet carefully and clearly. Give him the full mechanics for each ability you use. Then make a shorthand cheat sheet that just has any final numbers and where you track things like hexes and spells used. Then make a one-page bit of prose quickly outlining major capabilities you expect to be using, and a broad overview of the tactics you have in combat and possibly other situations you expect to use uniquely witchy mechanics in regularly.

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-07, 08:43 AM
An additional option, that hasn't been considered yet, is the Undead/Sanguine Bloodline. You know, the highly charismatic mage, pulled to the path of darkness by birth. This magic isn't just a choice among many you might have followed to attain eternal life, it is immortality promised to you, your birthright, from your first waking moment. And more importantly, people need not mind. Unlike the wizard, or perhaps even the evangelistic cleric, people like you. They might find you daunting or unnerving, but unlike the other examples, this just adds to your mystique. They believe you when you claim innocence following a rash of grave desecration, they agree when you ask them not to investigate the lower rooms of your house (even if you have trapped them, why clean up an unnecessary mess), they may even defend your good reputation when a third party's suspicions are raised. All this, and more, can be yours.
Or you could go the opposite route and be a deranged madman living beyond the edges of society, whose ability to frighten and intimidate only adds an additional layer of terror to the stories, and who slowly wastes away into an undead menace, even as their power grows.

Psyren
2014-08-07, 10:38 AM
Juju or Bones Oracle are your best bets because they are Charisma-based and can rebuke undead, which gives you a nice fat control pool.

Failing that Undead Lord or Gravewalker probably come second. Necromancer wizard and some flavors of Sorcerer are more for a debuff-type necro that dabbles in reanimating the dead.

Silva Stormrage
2014-08-07, 01:07 PM
Juju or Bones Oracle are your best bets because they are Charisma-based and can rebuke undead, which gives you a nice fat control pool.

Failing that Undead Lord or Gravewalker probably come second. Necromancer wizard and some flavors of Sorcerer are more for a debuff-type necro that dabbles in reanimating the dead.

I disagree, unless they have some way of getting Command Undead (The spell not the ability) then they aren't the best necromancers. Command undead is a very reliable and easy way to control massive undead monsters without worrying about a HD cap.

Hamste
2014-08-07, 01:47 PM
Agent of the grave level 5 covers this by giving necromancy spells (Up to int bonus so they need at least an int of 12). Juju oracles also get charm monster as a 4th level spell which works with Agent of the grave 2 as a pseudo command undead at a much high level that also work on other things. Unfortunately, even with a much higher number of undead controlled than others they still run into the problem of getting the next level of spells 2 levels later than prepared casters.

You can also get it from Samsaran as a level 3 spell (The inevitable domain has it so it is a possible divine spell)