PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is there any good 3rd party pathfinder material out there?

somethingrandom
2014-08-07, 07:53 AM
Is there any good 3rd party pathfinder material out there? (expect the 2 psionics books which are on the srd). Every other 3rd party pathfinder book I have read so far has horrible balance issues, badly written or both.

stack
2014-08-07, 08:02 AM
Radiance House released the Occultist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/radiance-house/occultist), a PF binder update, to generally warm reception from what I understand. I like it. It is actually two releases, including archetypes for most other classes. Psyren has a handbook around here somewhere (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321543-PF-Pacting-in-Pathfinder-The-Occultist-Handbook).

DSP (the psionics people) also have Path of War in the works (individual classes have been released, full book soon), a Tome of Battle type book and Akashic Mysteries, an incarnum update (first class coming soon). Both have threads on this board (sig for Akashic).

NightbringerGGZ
2014-08-07, 08:23 AM
Dreamscarred Press is the only publisher I've read material from which I would actually recommend. In addition to the Psionics books they're wrapping up a book inspired by Tome of Battle. Kobold Press seems to produce a lot of content too, but none of it has interested me enough to buy it yet.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-07, 08:27 AM
Genius Guide to X Magic comes recommended from me.

Psyren
2014-08-07, 09:36 AM
DSP and Radiance House were mentioned.

Genius Guides has some good stuff, particularly their archetype packages.

I'm also a fan of Adamant's Priest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/priest) for a Cloistered Cleric on steroids.

Larkas
2014-08-07, 09:46 AM
I'm also a fan of Adamant's Priest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/priest) for a Cloistered Cleric on steroids.

Hmmm, that sounds fun. How does it compare to a Cloistered Cleric? I mean, which are the major changes?

Psyren
2014-08-07, 09:49 AM
Hmmm, that sounds fun. How does it compare to a Cloistered Cleric? I mean, which are the major changes?

It pretty much is one - 6+Int skills, all knowledges, 1/2 BAB, simple weapons + light armor.

The two big changes are - (a) no free Knowledge domain (but you still get all the knowledge skills anyway, so it's not like you need it); and (b) you can spontaneously cast your domain spells in addition to cure/inflict spells. They also get an extra domain slot per level. And of course the "channel energy instead of turning" change that happened to PF Clerics as well.

Basically it's a much more "caster-y" cleric. This is how you would play Cadderly in PF.

Larkas
2014-08-07, 09:53 AM
It pretty much is one - 6+Int skills, all knowledges, 1/2 BAB, simple weapons + light armor.

The two big changes are - (a) no free Knowledge domain (but you still get all the knowledge skills anyway, so it's not like you need it); and (b) you can spontaneously cast your domain spells in addition to cure/inflict spells. They also get an extra domain slot per level. And of course the "channel energy instead of turning" change that happened to PF Clerics as well.

Basically it's a much more "caster-y" cleric. This is how you would play Cadderly in PF.

Looking quickly here, they actually do get the Knowledge domain. Hmmm, interesting... It's basically the formalization of the CC in class form.

Psyren
2014-08-07, 10:03 AM
Looking quickly here, they actually do get the Knowledge domain. Hmmm, interesting... It's basically the formalization of the CC in class form.

Derp, misread that. But yeah, there you go.

Libertad
2014-08-07, 11:02 AM
In terms of setting books, Cerulean Seas by Alluria Press is amazing. It's basically an all-aquatic campaign world.

Midgard by Kobold Press is awesome, but I feel that my description won't do it justice.

The Genius Guide to (More/Mythic) Horrifically Overpowered Feats series have some nice options for martial characters. The majority of the actually overpowered stuff tends to be spellcaster-centric.

The Tome of Horrors is an update from the 3rd Edition series by Necromancer Games, now updated into one massive book. It's great to have because it's full of classic old school monsters and some new ones, and it's one of the few 3rd Party books Paizo Publishing regularly makes use of in borrowing OGL material for their own work.

Larkas
2014-08-07, 11:08 AM
Derp, misread that. But yeah, there you go.

I wonder why they went that route instead of simply making a cleric archetype. Not only would it be more elegant, but would also make some archetype stacking possible. Oh well, it's neat, anyways.

Psyren
2014-08-07, 12:39 PM
I wonder why they went that route instead of simply making a cleric archetype. Not only would it be more elegant, but would also make some archetype stacking possible. Oh well, it's neat, anyways.

You could always make it an "alternate class" - thus opening it up to Cleric archetypes. (Though most of those limit you to one domain, and I'd consider trading 3 domains for 1 to be a pretty rotten deal.)

But yeah, it's a cool class, and I absolutely agree that it wouldn't be hard to transform it into a Cleric archetype too.

Slithery D
2014-08-07, 01:14 PM
Are there any existing archetypes that change BAB and hit die? That sounds like the justification right there.