PDA

View Full Version : Savage Tide Core +1

Grimtina
2014-08-07, 08:03 AM
(All maps, and the player's guide, will be here for easier reference, plus linked later - http://www.krath.org/arania/Savage%20Tide/)

http://www.krath.org/arania/Savage%20Tide/sass.jpg

Part 1 - There Is No Honor

Each of you are heroes since a short while. Sure, just small, local heroes, but heroes nonetheless. Whatever deed you've done to catch someone's attention to invite you for a real job, you now can be twice as proud.

One windy evening in early spring, a note reaches each of you.

http://www.krath.org/arania/Savage%20Tide/letter1.jpg

ComaVision
2014-08-07, 12:05 PM
"Yeah. OK," huffed Nicholas dismissively after quickly scanning the message. Crumpling the paper into a ball, he lazily threw it back at the courier's feet. "I'll be there."

Truthfully, he was uncomfortable with the recent, positive attention. Sure, he had gotten that woman's purse back but how was he to know that the person he lifted that purse off of had stolen it initially? He was still bitter that the reward was surely less than the full monetary contents of said purse.

Oh well. Maybe it will pay off. If not, he could always slip in to the Merchant District afterwards and try to find an easy score. Right now, he needed to think. If he's going to be needing to talk to people, surely he can find some way for his powers to help.

As I mentioned in the recruitment thread, this is my first time playing a PBP. Feel free to let me know if my format is inappropriate or anything else.

Alihandros
2014-08-07, 07:59 PM
"This gathering alone should be entertainment enough for the evening, of course I will go." With that Dis-Sanguinius Rex usually known by Dis or Rex began to limber up. "If you could my good sir, tell me what the required dress is for the dinner?"

After the messenger leaves, Rex reflects on the two fights that have brought him to the "prominence" that he now enjoys. The first fight was against a mated pair of wolves who for a little bit had him at his wits end, but in the end, his speed and daggers made a nice trophy for one to enjoy. Since the fight was so entertaining to the crowd he was asked to come back for another match, this time he was facing what appeared to be a hyena faced human with a very very large axe. While the beast had the brawn, Dis had the brains and grace, and eventually he managed to kill it with a specticale worthy of the arena, the beasts great coat in ruin. and the blood flowing from the many cuts he gave it, he finally and deftly removed its head from its shoulders. Another fitting trophy for the hall he was cultivating slowly.

Now if only they would let him do the hunting, or finally announce the Champions Games then he may face a real challenge one worthy of a ruler like himself.

Nightly
2014-08-09, 12:33 AM
Sasserine was oddly welcoming for someone of Quar's appearance. He had grown accustomed to the jeering of those unaccustomed to Dusklings. It was a pleasant change. He could tell that it wasn't quite sincere but more a forced courtesy.

This couldn't have been a result been for the young boy he had saved from the falling tree. That was instinctually, anyone would have done it for another. Although the tree was not too big, the young boy wouldn't have survived if he hadn't intervened; blinking under and with aid of the girallon he guided the boy away while the tree fell into his free arms and pushed it aside.

Walking through the streets the general crowd flowed around him in a radius. No one willing to get too close. Abruptly a man burst through the bubble and handed Quar a parchment.

Quar looked it over and then handed it back to the courier, "Read me it."

The courier gave a quizzical look and to not come off as rude, narrated the letter.

"I'll be there."

Grimtina
2014-08-11, 07:06 PM
Vanderboren Manor is located in the eastern section of the Merchant District; the seven-foot-high stone wall that surrounds the estate is impossible to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-story house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from th e hustle of the city. The front gates have been left open but no one is there to greet you. You reach the front door and knock. After a few moments, the same wizened halfling woman who had delivered the note to each of you answers the door. She introduces herself as Kora Whistlegap and thanks each of you for coming on time and also asks you to wait in the atrium. "Lady Vanderboren shall be with you shortly."

You have barely all arrived when four figures emerge from the hall and head toward where you are waiting. Kora races behind these figur s, which include a jaunty male half-elf dressed in leather armor and armed with a half.dozen daggers ofdifferent shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a large curved spear, an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes and with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek, and lastly, a tall and handsome man dressed in polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword. They have some arrogance clinging to them. The last of the group does stop to size each of you up for a moment before announcing, "Hmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to ya!" Then they are gone.

Nightly
2014-08-12, 03:37 PM
Quar looks the group over and dismisses them from his mind as fast as they appeared. No need to become heated over the arrogance of children. His focus was on those around him and why they had been brought together.

Alihandros
2014-08-12, 03:44 PM
Dis will keep a mental catalog of those 4, they could be a help, or a hindrance in the future, only time will tell. But he was here for his own "pressing" matters, he hopes that this will be worth his time.

Grimtina
2014-08-12, 04:20 PM
http://www.krath.org/arania/Savage%20Tide/manor1.jpg

On her way back, Kora waves for you to follow her.

The private dining hall is comfortable and cozy,softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing blue dress. She smiles as you enter, introducing herself as Lavinia vanderboren. After offering you seats and having some drinks served, she listens to your introductions and then starts to explain herself.

"As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parents' estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need to access my family's vault under Castle Teraknian.

"And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked-keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He neverwore it - he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there isthat the harbormaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Yark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears - he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent.

"Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately,Yark's not the type to react well to diplomacyor logic. I need someone who speaks his language... which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold in return once I've access to my vault."

ComaVision
2014-08-13, 10:28 AM
"Let me get this straight," interjects Nicholas snidely, "you want us to go get information and or gold from a bruiser, and you'll pay us if you are able to access your vault. The vault that you need a key for that you think is on the ship."

Grimtina
2014-08-13, 01:04 PM
"Oh, I know it's on the ship. Just not where," she sighs. "My father was secretive about it, no wonder."

Nightly
2014-08-14, 12:25 PM
"Regardless, we still have to wait months for your mother's ring to be reproduced. Are you sure you can even keep your estate for a time like that with all of your debt?"
Quar sympathized with Lavinia. It was not her fault her parents were negligent with their finances. On top of that she was trying to make right the debts to others, assuming we can help. Still he wondered why the other group turned her down.

"There must have been good reason for the other group to turn you down as well..."

ComaVision
2014-08-14, 12:28 PM
Nicholas tilts his head to one side, "I think she only needs one of the signet rings."

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 12:29 PM
"You misunderstand," she smiles. "With the key, I can open the vault without waiting. That is the point. And those people you saw, they are working for my family for a long time. But they have another obligation to fulfil for me rigtht now."

ComaVision
2014-08-18, 10:03 AM
Following an awkward silence, Nicholas spoke again "It would seem my ragtag compatriots here are about as enthralled at risking their lives as I am. Now, given your lovely estate, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that you're able to sweeten that deal to be more amiable..."

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 10:09 AM
Lavinia nods in understanding. "I know no one can work for free, after all, you have your own expenses. I am willing to pay 300 gold instead, plöus I will likely need your services again once the vault is open and I know just how much money there is." She shakes her head ruefully. "I know we are rich but the exact figures I am not aware of."

Alihandros
2014-08-18, 12:34 PM
"So let me get the exact mission you are asking of us straightened out. Are we going for information on what they are using your late fathers ship for? Are we getting the money that was extorted back for you? Or are we looking to acquire the ring back for you? Sorry for being slightly crude m'lady, but all you asked of us was to figure out why they were not releasing your fathers ship to you, not to get back his ring."

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 02:28 PM
"Yes," she repeats, "I need to know what they are doing, and if possible get the money back they took from me without paying the debt to the quartermaster. Once the quartermaster is paid, I have a chance to look for my ring. Of course if you also find the ring it would save everyone a whole lot of headache," she says with a winning smile.

Alihandros
2014-08-22, 07:33 AM
"Ah I see m'lady, and if you would be so kind as to tell us where exactly your fathers ship is moored."

Rex has a feeling she's leaving or omitting something from what she's saying.
Sense Motive:[roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-23, 05:52 AM
She defintiely sounds sincere to you.

"The BlueNixie is docked at pier five in the Merchant District-that is the long one between the Merchant's Guildhall and the Smith's Guildhall," she explains. "I admit it was foolish to hand over the money to Vark without allied witnesses, but what's done is done. I will not make such a mistake again."

Nightly
2014-08-23, 07:10 PM
"I'm willing to help, if everyone else is on board pun-intended can we get into details of the size and layout of the ship, like places where there would be guards, what the ring looks like, and like places your father would hide it? Anything could be of use with this mission, so please, be as detailed as possible."

ComaVision
2014-08-23, 08:52 PM
Well, it would be a shame for me to rain on the parade, or forfeit my share of the reward, Nicholas grinned.

Alihandros
2014-08-23, 09:22 PM
"Well, we know where our query lies, and if we know what our object is, we can soon be away on this little quest."

Grimtina
2014-08-24, 05:19 AM
"I don't know who will be on it and when - I only went there once. I didn't dare to go back. Adventurous pursuits are just not my forte, and diplomacy has gotten me nowhere. The Nixie is a smaller 3-master in very good condition. Soiler Vark is almost always seen with a woman named Ketrana, if I caught the name right. Very foul mouthed person. I've seen at least 3 other men."

Alihandros
2014-08-24, 08:29 PM
"Hmmm, so we have at least five people versus the three of us, this will take a little more subterfuge then I am comfortable with, though I fear straight combat would be a bad idea, though then again, cutting the head directly off this serpent may not be a bad idea."

Knowledge Local:[roll0]
Trying to see if the names mentioned have a connotation to them.

Grimtina
2014-08-25, 02:03 PM
You've heard of Soller Vark as a disagreeable brute with a tendency towards unlawful operations who usually find people he can intimidate to work for him.

ComaVision
2014-08-25, 02:18 PM
"I'm all right with either approach but either way I need an evening to prepare," Nicholas says, nodding knowingly at Quar.

Grimtina
2014-08-30, 04:16 PM
"I am happy to hear," the lady smiles, obviously relieved. "Preparations are of course needed, I didn't expect anything else."

Alihandros
2014-08-31, 09:33 AM
"Then we shall head out in the morning milady, and you should have your property and funds in your care before supper that evening should everything go alright. And one last parting question, do you have a drawing or diagram of the ring we are looking for? It will help us know rather then gathering up every ring we may run across on the boat and the persons upon it."

Grimtina
2014-09-01, 06:54 AM
"Oh, certainly." She gets up and leaves the room for a moment, returning with a small table-sized portrait of a man, from the looks clearly her father, wearing a gold ring decorated with leaves winding around the family crest.

Pawbarian
2014-09-11, 11:04 AM
Right then, a slightly out of breath human man enters the room, lifting his black dapper head while performing a perfectly in style, wide bow. "My apologies, Milady, and everyone else. I am late, I know, but I have been hold up by a most unfortunate chain of events. But fear not, I'm here now to help, as you have required of me! We are looking for a ring, I just gathered before I entered."

Before anyone can react, the confident newcomer grabs the portrait in a fluid motion and checks it over. "Very easy to recognize, I'd say."

Only then his eyes swipe over the gathered group, almost as an afterthought. "Oh my," he remarks. "What an interesting group of people. Forgive me my rudeness. I'm Klaus Loew, Artificer, adventurer, investigator and finder of opportunities. And I'd say I have found and opportunity right here." He smiles at the lady. "With your help, of course, Milady!"

Alihandros
2014-09-11, 09:26 PM
"Hmm, I see one more has joined us, very well, since we have the likeness of the ring, we shall leave your company madame."

With that Rex will head for the door, hoping the group will keep with him.

"Let us gather our equipment and meet at The Rusty Pirate on the morrow. If that is agreeable with everyone."

ComaVision
2014-09-11, 10:27 PM
Nicholas nods agreeably and follows Rex out the door. "What time?"

Alihandros
2014-09-12, 07:45 AM
"I think it would be better early morning before the docks get busy, don't you? Though again, if we go late at night, we will risk being mistaken for thieves or scoundrils with ill intent, but we will have less people around to pester us."

Pawbarian
2014-09-13, 04:23 AM
"Very early morning , when it is all dark and the late-nighters are off to bed and the early birds aren't yet awake would be best, I believe." The human puts his dapper hat, which he had been twiddling with, back on, and grins. "I have a slight bit of experience sneaking in and out of places unseen."

ComaVision
2014-09-16, 09:28 AM
"How much time does that give us?" Nicholas wonders aloud, "I need at least 7 hours. Have to get a proper rest, you know?"

Alihandros
2014-09-16, 08:40 PM
"Well, as it is early evening now, seven hours from now, should still let us be able to carry this out. Hopefully without a hitch."

ComaVision
2014-09-16, 10:58 PM
"7 hours, Rusty Pirate," Nicholas reiterates, walking in to the night. He didn't want to prolong the conversation unnecessarily.

Grimtina
2014-09-21, 06:35 AM
7 hours later, everyone meets again in the foggy seaside morning. The stars are still up, and while there is a vague shimmer of lighter blue on the horizon, it will still be a while before day conquers the night.

Alihandros
2014-09-21, 07:22 AM
Rex will enter the area, his equipment under his cloak, while as a fighter in the arena he can get away with carrying, he would prefer to try and not draw any attention to himself.

Grimtina
2014-10-01, 07:24 AM
According to the information you have, the Blue Nixie is supposed to be docked at pier 5, but pier 5 is empty. Instead, you can see a ship fitting the description float about 100 feet from the pier's end. There is some activity going on on board, too, it seems they are preparing the ship for a journey.

Alihandros
2014-10-01, 09:11 AM
"Hmmm, that is going to make this interesting, I wonder how they are taking the boat of someone else out under the letter of the law of the town? Or is it they are stealing the boat for their own gain? Seems we need to find our way out their, perhaps a rowboat we can purchase for a short while."

Looking around for a craft/person willing to take them to the boat should no one else have an idea of how to get there.

Pawbarian
2014-10-04, 06:07 AM
"Definitely not a legal thing, I agree. My guess - they needed a ship, and that's why they refused to pay the harbormaster the money the Lady owes. Quite clever, I'd say, considering the Lady is really not the kind to deal with this herself, but they should have considered the possibility of her hiring someone." Then Loew looks around for a rowboat. "I suggest we just borrow it, if we wake anyone to ask we will draw too much attention."

1d20 +8

ComaVision
2014-10-05, 11:14 AM
Nicholas was late. He bound towards the meeting place with a light jog. Soon as he saw his coworkers, he slowed to a walk and tried to hide his quickened breathing. "Good, everyone's here on time," he huffed, "Did you guys figure out a plan yet or do I have to do everything?"

Pawbarian
2014-10-08, 10:14 AM
"Well, unless we want to swim over, which I am not that good at, the idea is to borrow a rowboat or the like."

Grimtina
2014-10-09, 07:27 AM
There are 2 rowboats tied at the dock - one for fishing with space for a heavy load of fish (and smelling like it) and a small one for 4 or 5 people but only 2 oars.

Alihandros
2014-10-09, 08:48 PM
Is there anyone near or in either of the boats that we can see?

"I'd vote for the fishing vessal, while it will be missed sooner, the storage area could be better for us in case of getting something or someone back here if needed."

ComaVision
2014-10-10, 11:44 AM
"They'll smell us before we leave the dock. There's plenty of space in the sanitary rowboat if we had to bring something back.

Alihandros
2014-10-10, 01:59 PM
"Space isn't what I was talking about, if we needed to CONCEAL something larger then a ring for instance, just throwing it in a boat with a tarp over it would be a bad idea. And besides, what do you think would have a better cover, a fishing vessel going into the deeper waters, or a lone vessel approaching a ship?"

Pawbarian
2014-10-12, 07:08 AM
Loew frowns, not too happy about the idea to be in a smelly boat, but he can see the wisdom of the suggestion. "I don't think the smell of fish would cause any suspicion in a harbor, really.

ComaVision
2014-10-12, 12:21 PM
Nicholas continues his argument in wordless grumbling.