PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Possible to abuse Daemon Bloodline?

Barstro
2014-08-07, 08:35 AM
I was taking a quick read through some of the bloodlines and saw this;

Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you cast a spell that kills one or more living creatures with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher, the caster level of any spell you cast in the next round increases by +1 for each creature your first spell killed. This ability does not stack with other effects that increase your effective caster level, and you cannot gain a bonus greater than 1/2 your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). The second spell you cast must be of an equal or lower level than the first one.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of Pathfinder or what other options are out there, but my initial thoughts go like this;
Truly noble PC keeps a jar of intelligent bugs on him at all times. When he needs a great spell, he uses a high level spell to kill all the bugs and take that as a bonus on his next spell.

This requires;
Intelligent bugs (or similar, like a ready source of minions),
A high level spell that can kill them all,
Probably the use of Quicken to cast two spells in the round,
High CHA,
Lack of a better way to increase caster level,
A reason to have a higher caster level (I assume good metamagics, but, again, I'm not well versed)

Is this good for shenanigans, or is it rather pointless?

Snowbluff
2014-08-07, 08:39 AM
How about a bunch of cheap simulacrum?

Deadkitten
2014-08-07, 01:56 PM
not really worthy of shenanigans considering all of its restrictions.
master spellthief says hi.

At 1st level, as a standard action, you can impose either starvation or thirst upon a living creature you can see within 30 feet. This requires the creature to make a Constitution check each round (DC 10 + 1 for each previous check) to avoid taking 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. The creature must continue to make these checks until, as a full-round action, it quenches its thirst or sates its hunger (see starvation and thirst). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier, but can only apply it once every 24 hours to any given creature. Creatures that do not need to eat are immune to this effect.

Its first level Bloodline power is open to more abuse. Its a potential fire and forget that as long as you know the environment you can possibly fire it at something that is not immune to nonlethal damage and simply wait for it to fall unconcious.

Gemini476
2014-08-07, 02:10 PM
Let's assume, for a moment, that you have the maximum possible Charisma at level 20.

So that's what, 18+2(Race)+3(Venerable)+5(Levels)+6(Enhancement)+5 (Inherent)=39(+14)?

So the bloodline ability could give you a maximum of +7 CL.

It's a decent-ish Greater Consumptive Field-light, I suppose, but once you get enough things that boost CL it quickly becomes useless.

Slithery D
2014-08-07, 04:41 PM
That's only the maximum through the easy (or at least obvious) methods. You can still get another +2 from Profane Gift (not that hard), and from some templates the DM might give you. A devilbound pact can get you another +2, and I think Fey creature also benefits Charisma.