PDA

View Full Version : Friend or Foe Contest Thread

Alarra
2007-03-04, 10:37 PM
Friend or Foe Contest

You seldom know what allies or enemies you may acquire in a lifetime of adventuring. And how many people you may have dealings with who will refuse to fit neatly into either category...

In this contest, we hope to obtain useful and flavorful additions to the Tears of Blood setting that has been developing on these boards for some time now. The current draft of this setting's description can be read here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12173.

For the purposes of this contest, however, a brief summary might be as follows: The Tears of Blood setting is intended to be high-fantasy, but gritty. A world in which magic is common, but suspicious, and not outrightly accepted by all. It has proved useless against a devastating and unnatural plague, leaving damaged or shattered civilizations in its wake and twisted wrecks of some of the survivors.

The core D20 races have near equivalents in this world, but with altered characteristics and history. Humans are the least changed, having only new cultures and religions. Dwarves live in a martial culture, with a long history as mercenaries. Half-Elves are replaced by the Feldarin, one-time imperial overlords of the main continent, now reduced to a fraction of their former power. Elves in this world were born from the Feldarin, gifted with celestial powers by a bargain with a malevolent power which yielded devastating consequences. Halflings are lords of the sea, Gnomes ride great mechanical vessels and populate the realms beneath the surface, and Orcs are deeply religious jungle dwellers, with a penchant for sacrificial offerings. Further to this are some new additions - the reflective Giantkin, the twisted Plaguetouched and the still less natural Fleshwrought.

Behind the scenes, other factions come into play. An ancient dracolich plots underground, and has in her long history helped shape the essential nature of at least one of the world's core races. The nature of the Gods or other fundamental forces behind the world is disputed between cultures, but is almost invariably defined according to five concepts - War, Death, Magic, Travel, and Nature. And in addition to these forces, the existence of another god-like entity is undeniable - the Plague Fiend, the being who by its deal with the Elves gained power to cause suffering to all races. He is rumored to have brought the Plague to the world, but, truly, nobody knows the source of the Plague people know as "The Weeping".

Other factions (so far) include the opposing guilds and pirates that run the halfling ship fleets, the magical universities that help regulate magic in Ursoule, secret and not-so-secret organizations that "regulate" sorcerous magic, as well as various guilds, Dwarven clans and Gnome city-states.

Anyone who might wish to contribute, or criticize existing contributions is welcome.

This contest: Entrants to this contest, however, are asked to build anything into the world which may act as either a friend, or a foe, to the PCs without the PCs knowing which. They should have the potential to either be useful or dangerous and able to change on a dime, so the PCs never know who to trust. Creatures, factions, organizations, NPCs, outsiders... the precise nature of the submission is wide open for you, although you might want to consider that Rankle the Dretch Merchant is one good example of the concept.

The Rules:

1.) You will be creating something or someone that can be considered both a friend and foe depending on the circumstances.
2.) Your entry must include the following:
A description of the friend or foe with backstory and stats (as applicable).
Entries should be for D&D only, and specific to the ToB campaign setting. Try to avoid referencing non-core/SRD books if at all possible, but do what you have to do.
Each new entry should be started on a new thread here on the Contests board, dedicated to just that set of items and the discussion of it. Put the tag [FRIEND/FOE] in front of the title of that thread. Any thread without this tag will not be officially entered.
Post on the Entry Thread to let the mods know that you have completed your [FRIEND/FOE] entry. We'll try to keep a post with all the entries listed in one place for easy reference. This post in the Entry Thread is where you must post a link to your thread to be officially entered.Prizes are to be awarded as follows:
Best Overall
Best Group (organization, race, creature type etc.)
Best Individual (NPC, god, outsider, etc.)
Best Fitting ToB Setting
Funniest Entry
Alarra's Choice (Staff) Award
Rookie EntryIf you are eligible for the Rookie award (this is your first entry in an official GitP Design Contest) please note that in your post to the Entry Thread. Otherwise, everyone is eligible for everything else - no need to indicate anything.

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until 4 pm, April 9th (Eastern US Time). Please remember, as always, to follow the general contest guidelines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1396387&postcount=2).

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them to this thread. Good luck!

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 10:42 AM
HODAMN I HAVE SOME READING TO DO...

*ahem*

...but I already have an idea. Let us hope it already hasn't been done.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-05, 10:54 AM
A good entry will demonstrate the heart theme.
Another heart theme, or was this bit just copied and pasted and overlooked in the editting? :smallwink:

Elvaris
2007-03-05, 11:26 AM
HODAMN I HAVE SOME READING TO DO...
Yeah... Speaking as the cranky old guy with the failing eyesight, is the ultra-small text size really necessary?

Edit: That is so much better. A great many thanks.

MostlyHarmless
2007-03-05, 01:03 PM
Good point about the font size. I didn't intentionally make it small but I selected Garamond which goes tiny by default I guess.

I've started the effort of changing the font over to Georgia which is larger. Let me know if this is ok. Alarra, if you have the time to edit any of my posts and change them to 'Georgia', please do.

Alarra
2007-03-05, 04:06 PM
Another heart theme, or was this bit just copied and pasted and overlooked in the editting? :smallwink:

Erm...yeah, sorry bout that. =)

Elvaris
2007-03-05, 07:09 PM
So, um... I have this idea... which is fine as a friend organization, but as a foe becomes an Arab-themed group of "insurgents" stockpiling weapons to overthrow foreign invaders. According to what I've read so far of the Baran, it fits just fine with the canon, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the real world parallels inherent in the above sentence (I don't want to get banned...)

So I'm asking in advance, scrap the idea? Write it and hope nobody is offended? Or agree in advance that when I'm writing about the Baran and the Feldarin I'm really just writing about the Baran and the Feldarin?

Meat Shield
2007-03-14, 01:23 PM
(Speaking as a regular Tears of Blood contributor, not a contest judge)

Elvaris, sorry I didn't see your post until now. I think that your idea sounds fine. The main flavor theme which drive the world is gritty, which we have interpreted as no one trusts anyone, everyone plots agains everyone else, there are always powergrabs being attempted, etc. In this environment, if someone did NOT try to stockpile weapons for a rebellion, I would be surprised.

And as a further thought on the subject, my brother is currently serving in Iraq, and I have no problem with your idea at this time.

Rolaran
2007-03-15, 01:49 PM
No way! You guys are actually using my idea? That is too cool.

Now I'll have to think of something to enter...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-16, 09:25 PM
Had a flash of inspiration today and have an entry lined up... but I'd like to talk to some folks about the setting to meld it on in. Please send me a message if you are interested in helping me out with themish issues (and if you have a messenger of some kind that'd be even better).

Meat Shield
2007-03-18, 11:44 AM
Vorpal, could you give us a part of the world you are thinking about? I know the gnomes, the Dragon, and the Beneath pretty well, but would not be an expert on much else. If I knew which part, I might be able to help you towards the right person.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-22, 02:21 AM
And entered is Phill, the Halfling Pirate Lord, who is probably responsible for over half the piracy encountered, a good quarter of the shady deals anywhere within a good fifty miles from shore, and a sneaky skallywag who will NEVER give anyone an honest fight.

The important thing about this guy is that he is ALWAYS in the shadow, and that he has his fingers in damn near every pie around. Important officials 'never heard of such a fellow' and find it 'preposterous that such a man could even exist'. Pirates working for him don't know who he is or where he is. They just know that if they drop their percentage at a certain place at a certain time, they get smooth sailing. Otherwise, they end up with Bad Things happening.

Now then, he's sure to be a BBEG against a party with a Paladin in it, bloody goody-two-shoes always meddling in a dishonest man's business and all. But for those with fewer scruples, he's a valuable patron with contacts in the most interesting places and able to pull strings in some truely surprising places.

Why hasn't anyone heard of him before? Because he likes it that way. He perfers to be the unseen hand guiding everyone around like little chess pieces.

Om
2007-03-23, 07:09 AM
Despite being completely alien to both ToB and DnD this constest has given me an idea. Can someone familiar with the setting answer two questions for me first though:

1) To what degree are the Plaguetouched tolerated within Human or Feldarin cities/settlements? Are they allowed within the city's walls at all or driven out on sight?

2) How active is the Plague Fiend in the ToB world? Does he have regular interaction with mortals - eg cutting deals with or corrupting them.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-23, 12:11 PM
I also have two questions, one more general than the other.

First, does ToB include psionics? It doesn't appear so, but I wanted to see if its officially not part of the setting or simply not a core option.

Secondly, does anyone remember the generic term for divine casters...?

Meat Shield
2007-03-23, 01:30 PM
Despite being completely alien to both ToB and DnD this constest has given me an idea. Can someone familiar with the setting answer two questions for me first though:

1) To what degree are the Plaguetouched tolerated within Human or Feldarin cities/settlements? Are they allowed within the city's walls at all or driven out on sight?

2) How active is the Plague Fiend in the ToB world? Does he have regular interaction with mortals - eg cutting deals with or corrupting them.
1) The Plaguetouched (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12233) are by-and-large shunned at best and persecuted/hunted down at worst.

Most would fear them as carriers of the disease, or reminders of the horrors the Plague brought upon them. The closest real life analogue would be during the Dark Ages, and how lepers and Black Death victims were treated. There are examples of charity and helping hands, but the life of a Plaguetouched is a curse.

2) The Plague Fiend has had major interactions in the past, but current activities are unknown (or more to the point, we haven't really said). He was the one responsible for the creation of the elven race, so he would certainly play a part in their life. As for current activities, I think almost anything is fair game.

Side note: despite the name, the Plague Fiend is not necessarily responsible for the Plague. Officially, the actual cause is not known. It may be the Fiend, it may be a scheme of the Great Dragon, it may be a version fo the 1918 influenza virus. We have by design left it open to individual DMs to use as possible plot hooks, and because it is just scarier when you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how you could contract it.

Meat Shield
2007-03-23, 01:33 PM

First, does ToB include psionics? It doesn't appear so, but I wanted to see if its officially not part of the setting or simply not a core option.

Comrade, psionics I do not believe have come up in the last year or so that I have been involved with ToB. I don't know of anything supporting or outlawing it so, you may be ok with going with a psi idea but I would IM MostlyHarmless to be sure - he knows as much as anyone about ToB.

Drawing a blank on your second question...

MostlyHarmless
2007-03-23, 05:16 PM
Gorbash, we chose and maybe even voted to not have psionics as a core feature. We don't exclude them either, but we didn't want DMs forced into using them. So, for flexibility, I wouldn't want anything built into the core world that required their use. There are certainly places where they would fit in, for example, in league with the Watchers.

I, too, am drawing a blank on your second question. Are they not just 'divine casters'? For that matter what is the generic term for arcane casters?

No way! You guys are actually using my idea? That is too cool.

Now I'll have to think of something to enter...
Sorry, what idea was that? Just curious. Do you mean the Friend or Foe idea? Yes, it fit very well with the theme of our world.

Another element I'd like to expand on from what Meat Shield said, is that by gritty we also mean life is not easy. Adventuring is not a walk in the park until you get to the dungeon. Things like getting a meal after an adventure is not as easy as walking to town and going to any old tavern. You're likely to get a "we don't serve your kind here" sort of response. "your kind" would refer to any stranger in this case.

As far as plague-touched go, Meat Shield is pretty accurate. There are certainly a large number existing in some cities living in disguise, though.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-23, 05:19 PM
Gorbash, we chose and maybe even voted to not have psionics as a core feature. We don't exclude them either, but we didn't want DMs forced into using them. So, for flexibility, I wouldn't want anything built into the core world that required their use. There are certainly places where they would fit in, for example, in league with the Watchers.
Ah, thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. The concept I have doesn't require psionics, but I wanted to see if I should include it as an option.

I, too, am drawing a blank on your second question. Are they not just 'divine casters'? For that matter what is the generic term for arcane casters?
Arcane casters are arcanists, I believe. There's a similar term - I think presented in CD - for divine casters, but I can't remember it and I wasn't patient enough to wait until I got home to look :smallwink:

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-23, 10:13 PM
Would it be possible for me to get some help with my entry as far as making it better fit the ToB world as a while, or would this be considered Collaberation?

If so, I would like to pick the brain of someone who is familiar with the mainstream halfling community and/or the political situation on the coast, so as to best integrate my submission into the campaign world as neatly as possible.

quotemyname
2007-03-24, 12:30 PM

i believe your first question was answered... but as for your second, i usually use 'ascetic'. monks, clerics, paladins... all can be ascetics so long as they look to a higher/distant power for their inspiration/strength.

quotemyname
2007-03-24, 12:33 PM

Sorry, what idea was that? Just curious. Do you mean the Friend or Foe idea? Yes, it fit very well with the theme of our world.

Another element I'd like to expand on from what Meat Shield said, is that by gritty we also mean life is not easy. Adventuring is not a walk in the park until you get to the dungeon. Things like getting a meal after an adventure is not as easy as walking to town and going to any old tavern. You're likely to get a "we don't serve your kind here" sort of response. "your kind" would refer to any stranger in this case.

As far as plague-touched go, Meat Shield is pretty accurate. There are certainly a large number existing in some cities living in disguise, though.

Generic term for arcane casters in my games is usually 'mage'. it can vary however. depending on how familiar the common people are with different types of magic, they might refer to all arcane classes simply as 'sorcerer' or just mix up sorcerer and wizard alot. different areas may have different terms they commonly use to refer to such people.

Om
2007-03-24, 01:05 PM
Thanks Meat Shield. Is there any reference thread on spells unique to the setting? I'm not keen on duplicating work.

Meat Shield
2007-03-24, 03:51 PM
Would it be possible for me to get some help with my entry as far as making it better fit the ToB world as a while, or would this be considered Collaberation?

If so, I would like to pick the brain of someone who is familiar with the mainstream halfling community and/or the political situation on the coast, so as to best integrate my submission into the campaign world as neatly as possible.
Sorry Shneeky, halflings are not my strong suit. Check out the Halfling (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12146) thread to look up the usual suspects on the halflings. MostlyHarmless, Tantolian, Sktarq, Fire Wolf, etc are the right people to ask.

Meat Shield
2007-03-24, 03:54 PM
Thanks Meat Shield. Is there any reference thread on spells unique to the setting? I'm not keen on duplicating work.
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=140329#post140329) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12165) are the main new magic threads

Charity
2007-04-05, 07:37 AM
The god squad?

Ironfist Orc
2007-04-10, 04:40 PM
Friend or Foe Contest

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until 4 pm, April 9th (Eastern US Time). Please remember, as always, to follow the general contest guidelines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1396387&postcount=2).

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them to this thread. Good luck!

So, is voting going to start soon?

Om
2007-04-11, 09:13 AM
Well congrats to everyone who did get an entry in. I had an interesting idea myself but when I got round to typing it out... well it just didn't click as well as I'd hoped.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-21, 12:47 PM
I've been so out of it I didn't even realize until today that voting time was up and long gone. We going to be seeing the results soon? :nale:

Alarra
2007-04-21, 03:46 PM
Yes. Now that you reminded me, because I completely forgot. :smallredface: