PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Half celest DMM Persist Cleric

Tindragon
2014-08-07, 12:34 PM
I've looked around a bit, but don't see a defined progression that fits this as much as I'd like.

DM allows us 5d6 drop 2 lowest, ends up pretty high organic stats that way, decided to try a build for our campaign, everyone is currently level 5, so using that as start, and some camp flavor, went 1/2 Celest cleric.

Camp is planar travelling based out of Sigil. Currently doing od jobs for others, and in line with the good side since we have a pally of Herioneous who is contact with his church in Sigil (and apparently this is going to be a developing Story arc)

IF there is a way to build it with a cleric of Herioneous, I am open to that as well. Currently looks like this:

Male Half-Celestial (+4 LA) Human Cleric of Pelor 1 (heal/sun)
Neutral Good
{including racial +}
S18
D14
C20
I16
W21
Ch20

1-Extend
1h- Persistent
{Domaint 1- ???}
3- DMM Persist
6- Extra Turn
9-
12-
15-
18- {party beyond 20th if it goes this far}

We have access to the Completes, SC, pretty much all the WotC hardcovers. I've seen some builds that include a 3rd 1st level domain feat to take DMM Persist at 1. Where does this come from, something I am overlooking.

The DM will likely allow nightsticks (1 or 2 anyway)

I know I want to dip The Radiant Servant of Pelor but beyond that with this build, and the +4 LA hit (pretty solidly sticking with it) not sure where to take it. This will end up being a front line combat plus potential scout (fly) for a time that buffs/heals as needed.

The low HP vs party and encounters will likely keep him off the front line till Divine Power comes into play, so party buffs/heal till then.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-07, 01:06 PM
Half-Celestial is not worth the +4 LA, and will hinder your character more than anything. Consider making your character an Aasimar to represent his angelic heritage instead. Honestly, a 1st level Cleric with Half-Celestial is going to go down in a single hit, and contributes almost nothing to the party compared to what a 5th level Cleric could provide. At 5th level, you can put DMM: Persistent Elation (BoED) and Mass Lesser Vigor (SC) on the whole party, but with Half-Celestial the best you can give them all day is Bless. Don't bother trying to turn undead as a 1st level Cleric in a 5th level party, Shadows are CR 3 but effectively 5 HD, Ghasts are CR 3 with effectively 6 HD, a CR 4 Minotaur Zombie is 12 HD, CR 3 Troll Skeletons are 6 HD, etc.

Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) gets a bonus domain at 1st, it has to be the Knowledge domain but you can trade that for the Knowledge Devotion feat in CC. It has a few other benefits and some drawbacks, but you could cast (Greater) Luminous Armor from BoED to make up the lack of armor proficiency. The Planning domain gets you Extend Spell as a bonus feat, which can be used to gain DMM: Persist earlier. You could also get up to two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (more here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258440-The-quot-Best-quot-Flaws#30)) for two extra feats.

I'd recommend starting out Human Cleric 5, and plan to use DMM: Persist on the Visage of the Deity line of spells in SC to eventually get Half-Celestial without a level adjustment. The Sun and Healing domains are good, get the spontaneous domain casting ACF in PH2 for Healing so you can spontaneously convert prepared spells into spells from that domain list. It won't be much different, but you'll be able to spontaneously cast Heal, plus it should have a favorable interaction with the Radiant Servant of Pelor class's empower/maximize healing class feature, which only affects your healing domain spells.

With two flaws you can start out with Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, DMM: Persistent, and Extra Turning at 1st level, and get Improved Turning at 3rd. Plan to pick up one level of Morninglord of Lathander from PGtF which can be adapted to any sun god if not playing in the Forgotten Realms, then grab five Radiant Servant of Pelor levels, and then the other nine Morninglord levels after that. Get Craft Rod as your 9th level feat to be able to make your own Night Sticks from Libris Mortis, their benefit is not expressed as a bonus so having multiples of them will stack.

Start with or plan to get/make the following items: Ephod of Authority (MIC), Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC), Rod of Defiance (MIC), Scepter of the Netherworld (MIC), Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG), Night Sticks (LM). You'll be the doom of any undead that dares to cross your path!

For persistent spells, you want to have Divine Power for sure as soon as you can cast it. Otherwise you should prioritize spells that benefit your entire party, namely Mass Lesser Vigor (SC), Elation (BoED), and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SC). You'll also want to persist Stormrage (SC) as soon as you can cast it, and Holy Star (SC) multiple times to have one in each mode (and switch them around when one's spell turning runs out) is also extremely powerful.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-07, 01:44 PM
Start with or plan to get/make the following items: Ephod of Authority (MIC), Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC), Rod of Defiance (MIC), Scepter of the Netherworld (MIC), Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG), Night Sticks (LM). You'll be the doom of any undead that dares to cross your path!

There's also the Sacred armor/shield enhancement (BoED), Divine Energy Focus (GW) and the Light of Wisdom spell (CC) to further boost your effective turning level.

If you go to that much effort to boost your turning you should make the most of it though and get additional turning pools for as many common enemy types as you can fit into your build, provided your DM lets turning increases count for those.

Air Domain - Turn / Destroy Earth creatures
Earth Domain - Turn / Destroy Air creatures
Fire Domain - Turn / Destroy Water creatures
Water Domain - Turn / Destroy Fire creatures

Cold Domain (SC) - Turn / Destroy Fire creatures
Moon Domain (SC) - Turn / Destroy Lycanthropes

Different types of Rebuke / Command
Negative-energy channeling Cleric - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Undead
Dread Necromancer - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Undead

Air Domain - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Air creatures
Earth Domain - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Earth creatures
Fire Domain - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Fire creatures
Water Domain - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Water creatures
Plant Domain - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Plant creatures

Cold Domain (SC) - Rebuke / Command Cold (not Bolster) creatures
Scalykind Domain (SC) - Rebuke / Command (not Bolster) animals (reptilian creatures and snakes only)
Slime Domain (SC) - Rebuke / Command (not Bolster) Oozes
Spider Domain (SC) - Rebuke / Command (not Bolster) Spiders

Warforged Domain (FoE) - Rebuke / Command / Bolster Constructs

Initiate of Nature feat (PGtF) - Rebuke / Command Animals or Plant creatures
There's also the Turn Anathema (CC) spell which lets you turn/destroy evil outsiders and rebuke/command nonevil ones.

Not only can you destroy a lot of annoying enemies without wasting a spell slot, you'll also have the opportunity to get a whole bunch of useful minions via commanding.

Red Fel
2014-08-07, 02:19 PM
Agreeing with Biff that the +4 LA hurts, even if you can buy it off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm).

Have you considered the Ordained Champion PrC from Complete Champion? If you want to go with Heironeous, it's a great class. Yes, you lose 2 CL, but you gain a bonus domain (and therefore don't need to go with Cloistered Cleric) and spontaneous casting of War domain, the ability to burn Turn attempts to perform a Smite or add Wis to attack and damage, the ability to channel a spell through your weapon, and the ability to burn spells in order to gain DR or bonus damage.

Basically, if you find yourself with an abundance of low-level spells or extra Turn attempts, this class lets you convert them into useful melee power-ups.

As an aside, because Divine Power is a War spell that takes a standard action, you can spontaneously cast it as a swift action. Insta-buffing!

Ellowryn
2014-08-07, 02:22 PM
If you do plan on heavily using the Luminous Armor line then at least 2 levels in Paragnostic Apostle will be helpful as it gives +2 to AC from created armor bonuses and +2 to effective turn level (PA also advances Turning and Lore class features and has only skill requirements).

Tindragon
2014-08-07, 03:40 PM
There's also the Turn Anathema (CC) spell which lets you turn/destroy evil outsiders and rebuke/command nonevil ones....

For this campaign, this sounds beyond perfect. Turn Undead for turning undead, unless we spend time on the negative, shouldn't be very useful, which is why I was thinking DMM at all.

Man, I was hoping half celest wouldnt gimp it too bad, but I digress, and give thanks for the info. I thought all the early stat bumps would help the survive-ability, merhhhh...

So let me get this straight, I could do Heironeus, stay human (keeps in better flavor with current campaign) and I need to get familiar then with how to get that 3rd feat with this via CC, which i have, and apparently need to stick my nose back in....

Thanks again!

And feel free to keep throwin ideas, it's early yet. And I think without killing my wiz off, the only way we are pulling this guy in, is gonna be as the Cohort to the Pally, which means he will be starting level 4 when the pally hits 6 and takes leadership....

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-07, 05:28 PM
LA is almost never worth it, especially on a spellcaster. Even with LA buyoff anything higher than +2 LA usually takes way to long to buy off unless you already start at a high level.

The feat issue is relatively simple. As a cleric you can exchange access to a domain for the corresponding domain feat from CC. Cloistered Clerics get the Knowledge domain in addition to the normal 2 and can trade it in for Knowledge Devotion as normal.

A 2 level dip into Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) is also a decent option. You lose a caster level but gain access to the paladin spell list, Divine Grace and qualify for the Serenity feat (DComp), getting your wisdom instead of charisma as a bonus to your turning and saving throws.