PDA

View Full Version : can you flank with yourself?

Ettina
2014-08-07, 02:24 PM
OK, my brother's making a homebrew with a lot of ooze-style abilities, and one of the ones he's grabbing is the Ochre Jelly's (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ochre_Jelly) Split ability, where certain attacks split the jelly into clones instead of dealing damage. My question is, if his character has been split, can the clones flank an enemy?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-07, 02:30 PM
Do they all threaten squares? If so, yes.

You don't even need to do that to flank with yourself. Adaptable Flanker + any continuous reach weapon (like a spiked chain) will do it too.

Leviting
2014-08-07, 05:30 PM
Now I'm imagining both of those combined with the Elocator's "Flanker" ability...

sideswipe
2014-08-07, 06:09 PM
there is that race where you play a set of twins right? there is also the white raven manoeuvre where you flank with all adjacent allies. i would take that as you can flank with any other creature that is friendly with you. since you count as two separate creatures, just with identical stats, then i would say that if both are adjacent to a creature you would flank. without this it is more ambiguous whether you could. i am a great believer that if you invest enough resorces in something it should count. and that would be enough for me.

bekeleven
2014-08-07, 06:12 PM
When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner.A huge creature can just step over a human to flank it.

bulbaquil
2014-08-07, 06:15 PM
Yep. You certainly qualify as a "character or creature friendly to" yourself.

Werephilosopher
2014-08-07, 06:18 PM
there is that race where you play a set of twins right? there is also the white raven manoeuvre where you flank with all adjacent allies. i would take that as you can flank with any other creature that is friendly with you. since you count as two separate creatures, just with identical stats, then i would say that if both are adjacent to a creature you would flank. without this it is more ambiguous whether you could. i am a great believer that if you invest enough resorces in something it should count. and that would be enough for me.

Dvati are able to flank with themselves - in fact they get a +3 bonus instead of +2.

Curmudgeon
2014-08-08, 01:05 AM
You don't even need to do that to flank with yourself. Adaptable Flanker + any continuous reach weapon (like a spiked chain) will do it too.
No, it won't. From the Glossary (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_flank&alpha=F):
flank

To be directly on the other side of a character who is being threatened by another character. If you can split yourself into multiple characters, two of those can flank an enemy. You can't every flank just by yourself.

Khedrac
2014-08-08, 06:39 AM
No, it won't. From the Glossary (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_flank&alpha=F): If you can split yourself into multiple characters, two of those can flank an enemy. You can't every flank just by yourself.
Thank-you Curmudgeon - I was fairly sure I had seen that rule somewhere, but I just couldn't find it (the SRD under Flank just says "a character who is friendly to you").