PDA

View Full Version : so I have the book now. ..

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 04:24 PM
I have the players handbook. An am duly impressed.

hawklost
2014-08-07, 04:30 PM
Just curious, you in the US and if so, what store did you get it from? Or was it amazon?

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 04:33 PM
Just curious, you in the US and if so, what store did you get it from? Or was it amazon?

From my local they only had two abd I got one on reserve. I trade my stuff in as they pay more then ebay does. Got my phb for a buck fifty .

Lokiare
2014-08-07, 04:44 PM
In that case can you paraphrase how twinned spell works for the sorcerer?

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 04:52 PM
You spend points and a single target spell can select a second target in range.

Oncoming Storm
2014-08-07, 05:33 PM
I'm interested in some of the more 'gishy' feats-what do warcaster, spell sniper, lucky, and mage slayer-can you tell me what they do?

Lokiare
2014-08-07, 05:40 PM
You spend points and a single target spell can select a second target in range.

So basically its like you cast 2 instances of the same spell? That's about what I thought.

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 05:43 PM
I'm interested in some of the more 'gishy' feats-what do warcaster, spell sniper, lucky, and mage slayer-can you tell me what they do?

Am not at that point of the book right now, maybe later :)

And twin spell is much more limited then folks were fearing . You can't cast it twice on the same target, have to be different targets, no casting fireball twice, must be single targeting spells. So maybe abusable (yeah it is) but not as bad as some folks fear.

Lokiare
2014-08-07, 05:44 PM
Am not at that point of the book right now, maybe later :)

And twin spell is much more limited then folks were fearing . You can't cast it twice on the same target, have to be different targets, no casting fireball twice, must be single targeting spells. So maybe abusable (yeah it is) but not as bad as some folks fear.

Ah ok. So you can't abuse it to single target a creature to death every round.

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 05:48 PM
Ah ok. So you can't abuse it to single target a creature to death every round.

bingo exactly

Oscredwin
2014-08-07, 05:58 PM
What do shapechange, polymorph, and true polymorph do?

DireSickFish
2014-08-07, 06:04 PM
Can you say how the elemental monk works? Is it like the Eldrich Knight and Arcane Trickster with a wizard spell list? Do you pick one element and stick with it or will you be able to be the Avatar and master all 4 elements?

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 06:07 PM
What do shapechange, polymorph, and true polymorph do?

Change what you are to varying degrees .

I did a write up on the monk, the monk is rather complex and would be hard for me to reveal more without pushing the limits on what the mods would allow. You chose one element and stick with it.

Eldritch Knight is Adjuration and Evocatoin spells, from the wizard list

Trickster is Illusion and Enchantment from the wizard list.

DireSickFish
2014-08-07, 06:08 PM
Change what you are to varying degrees .

I did a write up on the monk, the monk is rather complex and would be hard for me to reveal more without pushing the limits on what the mods would allow. You chose one element and stick with it.

Eldritch Knight is Adjuration and Evocatoin spells, from the wizard list

Trickster is Illusion and Enchantment from the wizard list.

Thank you for sharing!

pwykersotz
2014-08-07, 06:26 PM
Change what you are to varying degrees . .

Does it carte blanche turn you into a given creature, or give you stat buffs a la pathfinder?

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 06:30 PM
Mixed of both

EternalHobbyist
2014-08-07, 06:35 PM
Are the multiclass rules such that you can remember what you get for each level or will we have to constantly refer back to the book every level?

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 06:48 PM
Are the multiclass rules such that you can remember what you get for each level or will we have to constantly refer back to the book every level?

Okay my last reply until dinner time.

Multiclassing is an optional rule set, need dm approval.

Stat scores are required , some needing two states not just one, all of them at level 13.

There is no multiclass exp penalty.

There is a table of when you mutliclass into something, on what you gain , as far as class skills, and weapons/armor.

Spellcasting is a bit detailed, this section will clearly need to be read through so you understand what is what, as far as casting goes.

Extra Attacks don't stack the highest number of attacks reign , you don't get multiple unarmored defense , channel divinity stacks, but does not provide extra uses.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-07, 06:56 PM
What does the maneuvers known progression look like for the Battlemaster?

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 06:59 PM
Unsure on how to answer that, it has various affects, but basicly put the manuvers are very much all your trip, disarm, and sunder stuff. Instead of them being something everyone can do , seems only the battlemaster can.

Tholomyes
2014-08-07, 07:09 PM
Unsure on how to answer that, it has various affects, but basicly put the manuvers are very much all your trip, disarm, and sunder stuff. Instead of them being something everyone can do , seems only the battlemaster can.Unless they've changed things, my impression was that some of the things were stuff that everyone could do, just that the battlemaster could do it as part of an attack (i.e. everyone can trip with the shove action, the battlemaster is just able to do it, and deal damage at the same time).

akaddk
2014-08-07, 08:41 PM
Since everyone and their dog in Canadia is getting the PHB, I thought I'd check out Indigo.ca and see if I could get one delivered to Australia nice and early.

$46 for delivery.

Yeah. No.

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 09:01 PM
Damn that sucks, I could take teh book I have and deliver it to you I think for about 23 bucks.

Inevitability
2014-08-08, 03:13 AM
So... What do the various 'summon' spells do? Are they strong enough to break the game or turn the fighter into a worthless class? Or are they more like 4e's summoning?

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-08, 04:20 AM
Unsure on how to answer that, it has various affects, but basicly put the manuvers are very much all your trip, disarm, and sunder stuff. Instead of them being something everyone can do , seems only the battlemaster can.

That's really, really disappointing to hear in and of itself, but what I meant was, how many maneuvers does a battlemaster have available each level? Is it like, 3 maneuvers known at level 3, then 1 every 2 levels? Faster? Slower?

TripleD
2014-08-08, 07:44 AM
Big question: Licensing.

In the handbook, does it explicitly say what we can and cannot share, or how to become a third party developer?

PinkysBrain
2014-08-08, 07:52 AM
Is polymorph personal range and if not is it a potent buff for the martials?

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-08, 07:57 AM
How about some Ranger spoilers? I've heard almost nothing about them. Can you play them as a butch commando with great skills, or is it just hippy dippy forest man stuff?

CyberThread
2014-08-08, 08:44 AM
So... What do the various 'summon' spells do?

Unknown they are unusable right now, as none of the monsters that you would summon are in the players handbook.

1337 b4k4
2014-08-08, 08:46 AM
Unknown they are unusable right now, as none of the monsters that you would summon are in the players handbook.

Actually, that leads to a good question:

What monsters are in the PHB?

Cibulan
2014-08-08, 08:48 AM
Unknown they are unusable right now, as none of the monsters that you would summon are in the players handbook.That kind of answers the question though: you summon a copy right from the MM ala AD&D - 3E.

DiBastet
2014-08-08, 09:23 AM
I want to know these things: Licensing, big changes from leaked alpha, topics not present on the leaked alpha; the rest most of us already have an idea of what's inside, at least in form if not in details, based on the leak that I'm sure most had the curiosity to glance over.