PDA

View Full Version : Caster Level of Ancestral Relic?

KingSmitty
2014-08-07, 05:13 PM
As the title suggests, how would I determine the CL of a suit of ancestral full plate loaded up with all sorts of goodies? would it be 10+ character level? I saw someone suggest before that it would be CL20 but that sounds too good to be true for a feat.

Would that limit what abilities i can have awakened if i don't meet the CL prereq of the enchantment? And then obviously dispel DC's are dependant on it as well to supress the magic in the relic

bjoern
2014-08-07, 05:27 PM
I'd say that its the minimum level for the spells that are crafted into it, just like for a wand or any other magic item.

As far as that feat is concerned, there are no prerequisites from you. You can make the item anything in the world you want, any spells, any abilities. Anything at all. The only thing that limits you is your character level on the max value chart. Convert all magic and special properties on your item into a gp value (including the base price of the non magical suit of armor). If that value does notexceed the listed vvalue on the chart you're good. Just need to sac gold into it and spend days to do it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-07, 07:10 PM
Adding abilities to your Ancestral Relic has absolutely nothing to do with the normal magic item creation rules. You never ever have to meet any prerequisites of anything you ever put on it, no exceptions. It simply becomes whatever you want it to be.

The caster level of the item would be the default (printed) caster level of whichever ability on it has the highest printed caster level. If it's magic armor and you put Soulfire (BoED) on it, that has a printed caster level of 7th; if you add Electricity Resistance, Greater to it, that has a printed caster level of 11th. Use the caster level of whichever ability on the relic has the highest printed caster level for the relic's caster level.

Just to note, per the DMG errata an item's caster level is not a prerequisite for crafting it. There's only a caster level prerequisite if there's a caster level listed with the other prerequisites, not on the other side of a semicolon from the prerequisites. The current rules on that can be found in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel).

KingSmitty
2014-08-08, 12:20 AM
Excellent. Thank you gentlemen you've cleared this up nicely for me, well done!