PDA

View Full Version : What are some monsters that people forget exist?

2014-08-07, 10:09 PM
I was thinking about getting a reserve of monsters that almost no one knows exist, but I need some good sourcebooks to do so. Creatures of the Aberration and Undead types would be preferred, but anything goes. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Use any sourcebook you want, not just the Monster Manual.

Forrestfire
2014-08-07, 10:10 PM
My first thoughts are the Thoqqua and Yrthak, but those aren't aberrations or undead.

Vogonjeltz
2014-08-08, 01:18 AM
Seconded on the Yrthak.

Others:
Xill, Yeth Hound, Triton, Tojanida, Stirge, Rast, Locathah, Krenshar, Grimlock, Folugub...basically anything in MM2-5.

Allanimal
2014-08-08, 01:43 AM
Seconded on the Yrthak.

Others:
Xill, Yeth Hound, Triton, Tojanida, Stirge, Rast, Locathah, Krenshar, Grimlock, Folugub...basically anything in MM2-5.

MM2 is full of gems.

From MM1, I really like the Lillend.

Eldan
2014-08-08, 01:56 AM
I've had Lillend and Yeth Hounds both show up in Planar campaigns, but then, it was on the Infinite Staircase.

There's tons in the MM1 I've never seen used. Athach. Digester. Dragonne. Rast. Magmin.

JusticeZero
2014-08-08, 02:14 AM
Plant monsters, i'd think. There's lots of them, and you'd expect people to be cowering in terror of the Druid BBEG who sends her minions rampaging across the countryside armed with russet mold and seeds, but somehow nobody thinks of that.

Curmudgeon
2014-08-08, 02:57 AM
Uh ... I forget. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry, couldn't leave that one alone.

Xuldarinar
2014-08-08, 03:29 AM
Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath, Deep One, Fire Vampire, Flying Polyp, Great Race of Yith, Insect from Shaggai, Mi-go, Shoggoth (and Shoggoth Lord), Star Vampire and the Choosen of Hastur template. (Call of Cthulhu d20) (Most things in it really but im sticking to aberrations and undead)

Unless one is a fan of the Tome of Magic, they likely haven't heard of any of the following: Deadly Dancer, Deathshead, Ephemeral Hangman, Garbler, Pain Speaker, and Tooth Beast.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-08-08, 03:40 AM
Flumph, even the writers forgot to put it in a monster manual. (though it did make it into a pathfinder bestiary)

3.5 stats are in dungeon mag # 118

edit: it's even an aberration.

nedz
2014-08-08, 03:42 AM
Favoured Spawn of Kyuss (DR336 p64) It's a Template you can apply to any Living Corporeal creature.
I almost triggered a Kyussapocalypse with one of these — due to the party screwing up on their plan.

Arbane
2014-08-08, 04:08 AM
Memory Moss?

Know(Nothing)
2014-08-08, 04:20 AM
I think, as far as useful and interesting enemies, Astral Stalkers are about as good as you can get. Powerful skills, feats, attacks, and saves? As a DM, you're pretty much limited to your creativity and the players' lack of precaution as far as what they are capable of. Bonus points for forecasting their presence and still having your players not prepare properly for them. Serious and awesome threat.

Socksy
2014-08-08, 05:15 AM
Brainstealer Dragon... *shudder*

Xuldarinar
2014-08-08, 08:34 AM
Brainstealer Dragon... *shudder* Mindwitness: When you cannot decide if you want the party to fight a mind flayer or a beholder.

Any creature that isn't a mind flayer that is created from the same tadpoles, or belongs to the Illithidae group really. Everyone knows mind flayers but their relatives are often forgotten. Even the Illithids of Thoon and the creatures related to that are relatively obscure. Alhoons are fun when you can't decide between a lich or a mind flayer, and vampiric illithid fill a similar place.

Psyren
2014-08-08, 09:00 AM
There's probably some gems in the Bestiaries too.

Uh ... I forget. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry, couldn't leave that one alone.

I see what you did there :smalltongue:

123456789blaaa
2014-08-08, 02:19 PM
Favoured Spawn of Kyuss (DR336 p64) It's a Template you can apply to any Living Corporeal creature.
I almost triggered a Kyussapocalypse with one of these — due to the party screwing up on their plan.

Could you expand on that? I'm curious.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-08, 03:45 PM
Senmurv: Ever want the quest-giver to be a tie-dyed wolfman with feathery wing-arms? Add in Deadhead paraphernalia and water bongs as needed.

DISCLAIMER: Drugs are bad, kids. They're in the Book of Vile Darkness.

As for undead, wasn't there one called a dust blight or something from Sandstorm? Some of the environmental books had some interesting undead and aberrations.

Svata
2014-08-08, 03:56 PM
Also from Sandstorm, the Cursed Cold Ones. Had a Dry Lich (via WitW) PC of mine stop a group of them attaking caravans by making one of them a dry lich, because the need to stay above a certain temperature or become frozen, and its always very hot around dry liches, unless they choose to supress it.

Zombulian
2014-08-08, 04:01 PM
Yrthak, Xill, and Yeth Hound have all been mentioned. But they're so cool and never used and it makes me sad.

2014-08-08, 04:06 PM
Yrthak, Xill, and Yeth Hound have all been mentioned. But they're so cool and never used and it makes me sad.

Speaking of the Xill, have you guys noticed that a whole bunch of aberrations and outsiders look like they need to get their types switched to the other option? Nagas, Xills, Phantasmal Slayers... The list goes on and on...

Zombulian
2014-08-08, 04:12 PM
Speaking of the Xill, have you guys noticed that a whole bunch of aberrations and outsiders look like they need to get their types switched to the other option? Nagas, Xills, Phantasmal Slayers... The list goes on and on...

I dunno. At least for Xill I think they're pretty good as Outsiders.

But yeah Naga being Aberrations is preeetty weird.

2014-08-08, 04:22 PM
I dunno. At least for Xill I think they're pretty good as Outsiders.

But yeah Naga being Aberrations is preeetty weird.

It just strikes me as strange that we have a huge Ethereal aberration ecosystem, and then Xills, Ethereal Marauders, and all the MM2 Ethereal monsters have to go and ruin it for us.

Harrow
2014-08-08, 04:56 PM
Pixies

I've always been a fan of the more obscure dragons. Song, Incarnum, Battle...

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-08, 06:30 PM
The Xorn, weirdly symetrical scavenging outsiders with the ability to earth glide.

The Achaierai, second in the MM1, and four legged, brightly colored birds that can produce an Insanity inducing toxic cloud 3/day.

I know, neither are aberrations or undead, but they deserve a spot on the forgotten monsters list.

Zombulian
2014-08-08, 06:34 PM
The Xorn, weirdly symetrical scavenging outsiders with the ability to earth glide.

The Achaierai, second in the MM1, and four legged, brightly colored birds that can produce an Insanity inducing toxic cloud 3/day.

I know, neither are aberrations or undead, but they deserve a spot on the forgotten monsters list.

Oh god. The Achaierai always creeped me out so I always tried to skip that page.

ArqArturo
2014-08-08, 06:36 PM
Ethereal Filchers.

squiggit
2014-08-08, 06:59 PM
Dessicator and Forsaken Shell are both creepy as hell and pretty fun monsters. Both are in LM.

Zombulian
2014-08-08, 07:02 PM
I think the Aboleth deserves a mention just because until I got Lords of Madness, I barely ever looked at them. They're the first monster in the book and just look like a fish or something, so when I just started playing I would always gloss over them.

2014-08-08, 07:51 PM
I think the Aboleth deserves a mention just because until I got Lords of Madness, I barely ever looked at them. They're the first monster in the book and just look like a fish or something, so when I just started playing I would always gloss over them.

You have got to be kidding me... I can't believe you didn't hear about them on a forum or something all that time...

Zombulian
2014-08-08, 08:10 PM
You have got to be kidding me... I can't believe you didn't hear about them on a forum or something all that time...

Around the time I was becoming active on these forums (2008, I forgot my password and ended up using this account for more time overall >.>) there was a "Favorite Mastermind Race" thread. There were a bunch of people arguing between the big 3 aberrations (Illithids, Beholders, and Aboleths.) I was almost completely new to D&D at the time and was kind of confused that I hadn't looked at them much before. I shortly after got LoM.

Krobar
2014-08-08, 08:25 PM
I'm a big fan of the Ancient Night Twist.

Chronos
2014-08-08, 08:32 PM
Umber Hulk gets overlooked a lot: It's on the official Iconic Monster List and therefore not in the SRD, but it's not as iconic as illithids or beholders, so people don't hit the book to dig it up.

squiggit
2014-08-08, 08:38 PM
Umber Hulk gets overlooked a lot: It's on the official Iconic Monster List and therefore not in the SRD, but it's not as iconic as illithids or beholders, so people don't hit the book to dig it up.

Gauth and Slaad seem to follow that trend too.

Zombulian
2014-08-08, 08:40 PM
Gauth and Slaad seem to follow that trend too.

Aw no! I love Slaad and even I forgot!

Svata
2014-08-08, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't say Slaad are forgotten. Anyone who even casually reads the Planar Questions thread cant forget that slaad peanut butter rope buckets.

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-09, 12:31 AM

Perhaps, but barring this specific instance, I would say being voted the most popular aberration on the a notable recent "What is the Playground's Favorite Monster" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990) thread kind of obviates its status as most forgotten in general, wouldn't you say?

Zombulian
2014-08-09, 12:41 AM
Perhaps, but barring this specific instance, I would say being voted the most popular aberration on the a notable recent "What is the Playground's Favorite Monster" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990) thread kind of obviates its status as most forgotten in general, wouldn't you say?

I didn't say "most forgotten" I said that I didn't notice it for a long while. The thread is literally called "What are some monsters that people forget exist?" so I put forward mine. I assume that I'm a people.

Arbane
2014-08-09, 12:41 AM
Ethereal Filchers.

aka "The reason for those missing single socks."

(They have four arms and only one foot.)

Chronos
2014-08-09, 08:34 AM
This is the first I've ever noticed that. Was that literally the actual motivation behind the Ethereal Filcher design? That's hilarious.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-09, 09:09 AM
Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath, Deep One, Fire Vampire, Flying Polyp, Great Race of Yith, Insect from Shaggai, Mi-go, Shoggoth (and Shoggoth Lord), Star Vampire and the Choosen of Hastur template. (Call of Cthulhu d20) (Most things in it really but im sticking to aberrations and undead)

I see what you did there.

Chronos
2014-08-09, 09:54 AM
Just for completeness, here's the full list of core product-identity monsters:

The following monsters are considered "Product Identity" by Wizards of the Coast and are therefore not part of the SRD:

beholder
gauth
carrion crawler
displacer beast
githyanki
githzerai
kuo-toa
mind flayer
slaad
umber hulk
yuan-ti
Of those, I'd say that beholders, displacer beasts, gith, mind flayers, slaadi, and yuan-ti are distinctive enough that they get remembered anyway. That leaves gauth (I can't even remember what those are), carrion crawlers, kuo-toas, and umber hulks. Interestingly, it seems like product identity monsters are overwhelmingly aberrations.

Actually, what are gauths? They're not in the 3.0 Monster Manual at all, nor the 2nd edition Monstrous Compendium. How can a monster be Product Identity if it's not identified with the product?

Forrestfire
2014-08-09, 10:01 AM
Gauths are mini-beholders, iirc.

Arbane
2014-08-09, 02:26 PM
This is the first I've ever noticed that. Was that literally the actual motivation behind the Ethereal Filcher design? That's hilarious.

No idea. But I read someone else pointing that out, and laughed.

Theafroscotsman
2014-08-09, 03:02 PM
mimics.
When everything is made of mimics, when will they ever expect a mimic?
That house that recently appeared on the edge of town? mimic.
That Chair next to that table? both mimics.
That cloak on the wall? mimic.
I think this is a good way to make people paranoid of everything. Watch them demolish every piece of furniture! and game progression slow to a halt.

ArqArturo
2014-08-09, 03:22 PM
mimics.
I think this is a good way to make people paranoid of everything. Watch them demolish every piece of furniture! and game progression slow to a halt.

That backpack you carry? Mimic
The waterskin? Thirsty mimic
The floor? Make a wild guess :smallamused:

aka "The reason for those missing single socks."

(They have four arms and only one foot.)

Suddenly, I'm imagining a secret cabal of ethereal filchers conspiring to steal foot-related magical items.

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-09, 03:24 PM
I didn't say "most forgotten" I said that I didn't notice it for a long while. The thread is literally called "What are some monsters that people forget exist?" so I put forward mine. I assume that I'm a people.

I suppose that is fair.

tomandtish
2014-08-09, 03:33 PM

It goes to show the semantics of many arguments. For some, it may be forgotten. For others, it may be "never knew it existed" (anything from MM3-5 is like that for me since I decided not to give Wizards any more 3.5 money. Third party sources may also be like that. Therefore several of the monsters others have already named I have never heard of). And for yet others, it may be their favorite of all time.

A better thought might be "Monsters that seem underutilized" (for example, almost never showing up in published works outside the one they are statted in). Then see what fits. For example, has anyone seen a Yrthak anywhere outside the Monster Manual?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-09, 03:51 PM
Bluespawn godslayer? Frostwind virago? Metrognome?

Theafroscotsman
2014-08-09, 04:16 PM
The floor? Make a wild guess :smallamused:

In DnD, Mimic drinks you!

Svata
2014-08-09, 04:25 PM
Metrognome?

That is the worst pun I've heard in a while. Damn impressive.

Zombulian
2014-08-09, 04:31 PM
It goes to show the semantics of many arguments. For some, it may be forgotten. For others, it may be "never knew it existed" (anything from MM3-5 is like that for me since I decided not to give Wizards any more 3.5 money. Third party sources may also be like that. Therefore several of the monsters others have already named I have never heard of). And for yet others, it may be their favorite of all time.

A better thought might be "Monsters that seem underutilized" (for example, almost never showing up in published works outside the one they are statted in). Then see what fits. For example, has anyone seen a Yrthak anywhere outside the Monster Manual?

There was a whole fluff article on them in Dragon Mag once. Also I know there's an illustration of someone riding one in ToB, not sure if it's actually brought up though.
Also of course Totemist soulmelds often bring up tons of magical beasts, and the Yrthak is one of them.

Coidzor
2014-08-09, 04:48 PM
Ettercaps are fairly obscure, I think. As are Belkers.

Athachs are things that sound like they should be Giants but are Aberrations instead. And I don't think they really fit in very well most of the time.

Dragonnes are practically made to be overlooked, due to it being Dungeons and Dragons.

Zombulian
2014-08-09, 04:56 PM
Ettercaps are fairly obscure, I think. As are Belkers.

Athachs are things that sound like they should be Giants but are Aberrations instead. And I don't think they really fit in very well most of the time.

Dragonnes are practically made to be overlooked, due to it being Dungeons and Dragons.

Just like the Yrthak, Ettercaps were featured in a Dragon Mag :smallbiggrin: so I've since kept them close to my heart. Athachs are silly but Dragonnes were always dumb to me. I don't think I've ever taken the time to read their statblock.

Xuldarinar
2014-08-09, 05:40 PM
I know its not helping add to the list but...
Any monster that had become a 20th level Monk of the Healing Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-healing-hand) and used True Sacrifice. Just look at . Not a lot of people remember the tale of .

HunterOfJello
2014-08-09, 06:30 PM
Derro. They're in the 3.5 Monster Manual I but most people have no clue what they are. (This likely is largely due to the fact that they are one of the few monsters in MMI that has no picture.)

I can't remember the name of the monster that people confuse Derro with. If anyone remembers the dwarf-like creatures that look like duergar, but have a habit of infiltrating Duergar society and taking it over with their magic, then PM me.

2014-08-09, 06:39 PM
mimics.

Whoa whoa whoa! That cloak on the wall is a CLOAKER! I thought of an idea where there was a whole hallway filled of mimics that were stacked on top of each other disguised as suits of armor.

glitterbaby
2014-08-09, 09:38 PM
Phaerimm from Lost Empires of Faerun, the name is really fitting of this thread :), are almost never mentioned and are stupid powerful. They get levels in Sorcerer casting equal to their HD and they can stack with class levels they have so a Phareimm Hatchling Sorcerer 9 has 18 levels of sorcerer casting. Ninths at nine, pretty cool.

Edit: Oh yeah and they're aberrations too.

Forrestfire
2014-08-09, 09:52 PM
I see them mentioned a lot as a potential very strong sorcerer race, actually.

Leviting
2014-08-09, 10:19 PM
Phaerimm from Lost Empires of Faerun, the name is really fitting of this thread :), are almost never mentioned and are stupid powerful. They get levels in Sorcerer casting equal to their HD and they can stack with class levels they have so a Phareimm Hatchling Sorcerer 9 has 18 levels of sorcerer casting. Ninths at nine, pretty cool.

Edit: Oh yeah and they're aberrations too.

combine that with Ur-Priest and who needs theurges...

captain fubar
2014-08-09, 10:19 PM
it's not the requested type but the bone golem is an oft forgotten monster. this is likely because the the tomb or horrors has few creatures so its the last place one would expect to find inspiration for something to include in the next encounter.

Coidzor
2014-08-09, 10:22 PM
I see them mentioned a lot as a potential very strong sorcerer race, actually.

I'd argue that it's more that people want to forget they exist or try to. XD

Chronos
2014-08-09, 10:54 PM
Quoth ArqArturo:

The floor? Make a wild guess
A trapper (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm)?

Graypairofsocks
2014-08-09, 11:22 PM
Senmurv: Ever want the quest-giver to be a tie-dyed wolfman with feathery wing-arms? Add in Deadhead paraphernalia and water bongs as needed.

It obviously looks nothing like its namesake Simurgh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simurgh).

Nando
2014-08-10, 08:30 AM
Bodak. Because aliens with a death glare.

Don't know, how much they are "remembered", but I didn't see them mentioned anywhere except MMI...

Brookshw
2014-08-10, 08:41 AM
I think I fought a mindstealer (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20030727a) drone once but I don't remember.

Xuldarinar
2014-08-10, 10:39 AM
Bodak. Because aliens with a death glare.

Don't know, how much they are "remembered", but I didn't see them mentioned anywhere except MMI...

I recall there is a bodak template in the Dragon Compendium and there is a bodak in Elder Evils in service to Atropus. I think that is about it for those undead.

Qwertystop
2014-08-10, 10:49 AM
Metrognome?

Wait, that's a thing?

Psyren
2014-08-10, 10:59 AM
Wait, that's a thing?

Magic (http://magiccards.info/us/en/301.html) has them, though I think they were part of the game's "punny" phase.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-10, 11:03 AM
Wait, that's a thing?

It was in 2e. I don't think it made it to 3.5.

Qwertystop
2014-08-10, 11:10 AM
Magic (http://magiccards.info/us/en/301.html) has them, though I think they were part of the game's "punny" phase.

Hm. It's been a while since I played and I was never very good, but would I be right in saying that the tokens that makes are a bit expensive for what they do (not much, mostly just block non-flying non-tramplers)?

Psyren
2014-08-10, 11:24 AM
Hm. It's been a while since I played and I was never very good, but would I be right in saying that the tokens that makes are a bit expensive for what they do (not much, mostly just block non-flying non-tramplers)?

You get the 4 tokens for free if an enemy hits you with a discard spell so actually they're pretty efficient. It's card advantage for you as well (you effectively gain 4 cards on the field for losing one.)

If you hardcast it though it's pretty blah.

Qwertystop
2014-08-10, 12:26 PM
You get the 4 tokens for free if an enemy hits you with a discard spell so actually they're pretty efficient. It's card advantage for you as well (you effectively gain 4 cards on the field for losing one.)

If you hardcast it though it's pretty blah.

Oh, right, it works if discard from your hand. I wad thinking the only thing to do was play it and make your opponent choose between getting rid of it (fast swarm) or letting you slowly build up a giant group any time you have spare mana. Or maybe theres some other cars that boosts artifacts by the number you have?

Psyren
2014-08-10, 01:30 PM
Oh, right, it works if discard from your hand. I wad thinking the only thing to do was play it and make your opponent choose between getting rid of it (fast swarm) or letting you slowly build up a giant group any time you have spare mana. Or maybe theres some other cars that boosts artifacts by the number you have?

There's plenty, as well as a whole keyword mechanic that nearly destroyed Standard a while back (Affinity.)

Shieldbunny
2014-08-10, 01:39 PM
Catoplebas, http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_14.jpg

Zombulian
2014-08-10, 01:49 PM
Catoplebas, http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_14.jpg

Oh god no please no

Psyren
2014-08-10, 02:01 PM
I would think Catoblepas would be more popular/well-known; it's one of the first espers you find in Final Fantasy 6, IIRC.

Shieldbunny
2014-08-10, 02:14 PM
I would think Catoblepas would be more popular/well-known; it's one of the first espers you find in Final Fantasy 6, IIRC.

It's one that I forgot was updated.

Oh god no please no

Mwahahaha!

Tathum
2014-08-11, 08:05 PM
Three pages and not one ManBearPig reference. What is the world coming to?

Druegar and their Gnome equivalent are already on here, great monsters people tend to forget in the shadow of Drow for. My personal favorite? Rot grubs.

Sick, tiny, little worms that burrow into your skin and have to be burned or prayed out. Nothing says disgusting, dungeon in the murk and muck like Rot Grub and Otyughs.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-11, 10:31 PM
Three pages and not one ManBearPig reference. What is the world coming to?

I hear it mentioned sometimes when people IRL crack jokes about template-stacking ("How can you even have three half templates? You'd be like manbearpig"), so I think it's far from forgotten.

Thurbane
2014-08-12, 12:05 AM
Aberrations: Bleeder Beholder (DMC), Boneleaf (HoH), Bright Naga (MH), Chaoswyrd (DMC), Corruption Eater (HoH), Dharculus (PlH), Ghosteater (GW), Glasspane Horror (DMC), Mad Slasher (MH), Nothic (MH), Ragewing (DMC), Ripper (Cty), Spark Lasher (MH)

Undead: Bane Wraith (HoH), Bloodrot (HoH), Bodak Creature (DMC), Bog Mummy (DMC), Bonespitter (DMC), Casurua (DMC), Cursed Spirit (MH), Dread Ram (GW), Fire Spectre (GW), Gaki (OA), Ghastly Creature (DMC), Ghoulish Creature (DMC), Gravehound (MH), Hopping Vampire (OA), Necromplasm (GW), Onikage (OA), Pennaggolan (OA), Spectral Steed (GW), Spiritus Anime (DMC), Tainted Minion (HoH), Trap Haunt (DMC), Undead Martyr (GW)