PDA

View Full Version : Halls of the Minotaur IC

Ajacks
2014-08-07, 11:46 PM
It has been four days now since the noble paladin Sir Galwaith departed from your village towards the Thornswild Woods. His quarry? The ferocious and terrible minotaur, Toth-Ror. Claiming he would be back in two days with the minotaur's head, it appears the worst has befallen him...

It is mid-day in summer, yet a chill wind blows thru the deserted streets of your village. The sun is choked out by dark clouds, appearing only as a dimly glowing orb behind them. The air is thick with fog and if you didn't know any better, you would say your village has been abandoned.

And for the most part, it has been. Toth-Ror has claimed many lives over the past few months, and many of those who have survived have fled. Yesterday evening the last remaining village elder, a half-crazed blind woman by the name of Gomjol, summoned all brave and willing souls to convene at her cabin today. You see the very occasional villager standing at their door or window as you make your way there, gazing upon you sorrowfully as if it will be the last time they see you.

Arriving at the cabin, you see four others who have answered the call. You begin to realize this may all be for naught as you look upon them. Mere commoners just like you. You file inside and see Gomjol sitting cross legged before a fire. She waves you towards it, her white eyes staring blindly out into the flames.

"Our hamlet's savior has vanished into the Thornswild. The runes have chosen you to rescue him. See? The runes declare you to be heroes." Her crooked finger points to each of you in turn. The old crone casts a handful of herbs into the fire, sending up a shower of embers. "And the runes never lie...

"We are a humble folk, but you may have your choice of our meager stores. Blessings on you," the toothless hag smiles with a trace of sadness, "for you will need it."

Gareth, a local short and stocky woodsman, unrolls a filthy blanket on the dirt floor. Within are the village's meager stores at your disposal. At a glance, you can see a dagger pitted with rust, a pitchfork, a blacksmithing hammer, a farmer's sickle, a spear, a woodsman's axe, some hide armor that upon closer inspection seems to be infested with lice, a sling and some stones, a small rusted steel shield, some rotting padded armor, a shortbow and some arrows, a field scythe, and what appears to be a huge bone with a leather strap wrapped around the skinnier end apparently intended as a handle.

Dagger pitted with rust
Pitchfork (simple, one-handed, 1d6/x2)
Blacksmithing Hammer (simple, one-handed, 1d6/x3)
Farmer's Sickle (simple, one-handed, 1d4/x2)
Shortspear
Woodsman's Axe (simple, one-handed, 1d6/x3)
Hide Armor, lice-infested
Sling, 15 bullets
Light Steel Shield, rusted
Padded Armor, rotting
Shortbow, quiver with 12 arrows
Field Scythe (simple, two-handed, 1d6/x3)
"Orc-Slayer," a greatclub carved from an ogre femur

Yael
2014-08-08, 02:31 AM
As I got it, you are asking us to go to da woods and get Galwaith back? Eazy task, indeed.

Krosy walks close to the blanket, inspects the contents, and decides to pick up an item with care.

This will do. - Krosy says as he picks up the woodland's axe and checks its status. - It looks like it won't get me killed, so it's cool. - After taking away the axe, Krosy stares back at the blanket, and points his left hand's finger to the rotten, padded armor. - Also, I wouldn't mind putting that on, I don't care if it stinks, "better stinky than dead," my grandmah always used to say.

Krosy walks away from the blanket, as the other "chosen ones" should pick up gear for the mision too. He starts to put on that rotten "armor", and, when ready, he shouts:

No Thornswild is going to scare Kroskur or my little friend right here!

After that, Krosy just sits on the ground, picks up a rock and starts to "sharp" his newly obtained axe (even though he has no idea of what he is doing.) Just waiting for the others to do their stuff. At first glance, Krosy looks happy for either getting an axe or getting out of the town to explore.

firstclassmail
2014-08-08, 08:33 AM
Gidrel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=980164)

After seeing his companions, Gidrel's spirit and excitement for agreeing to go look for this paladin has been replaced by dread. He realizes now this may be the last few days of his life. Anything is better than here, he thinks to himself.

He gives Gomjol a curt nod, then realizing that she is blind, he blushes in embarrassment. Approaching the blanket he grabs the hammer and the shield, butterflies engulfing his stomach. Were his hands shaking? He hoped not.

"I guess these will do, unless anyone has any objections," says Gidrel timidly.

UristMcRandom
2014-08-08, 10:30 AM
William Arroway, the town's tavern keeper, approached the spread of weapons cautiously. He picked the quiver of arrows and bow from the ground, strapping them onto his back. Eyeing the dagger, he lifted it from his place and tucked it under his belt.

I think that Gomjol's finally lost it. There's no way this group of nobodies is going to find a Paladin, he thought to himself, glancing disdainfully at Krosy "sharpening" his axe.

ashifter
2014-08-08, 10:56 AM
Lucius:

Lucius, the surviving town prankster, no mischief remaining in his spirit, takes the sickle.

I'd always feared I'd die with one of these in my hand, though I thought it'd be dying of old age as a farmer thought Lucius.

Though my life may be forfeit, at least I'll have done something to avenge my family.

Kydell
2014-08-08, 11:21 AM
Jin Jasper Ferberite Lunkwell

'Well then, I suppose it's up to us five to get this paladin back, eh? I wouldn't put much stock in our survival, but I'll do what I can,' Jin says as he picks up the shortspear.

Ajacks
2014-08-08, 05:17 PM
Seeing that you have selected your gear, Gareth leads you outside to his house nearby. He brings each of you a waterskin, a day's worth of stale bread, 2 torches, and a sack. Giving you some brief directions, you are sent on your way to the Thornswild Woods to learn of Sir Galwaith's fate.

The woods are only a half day's march away, yet the day remains cloudy and sunless. Coming to the edge of the woods, you and your companions come to a halt. The old crone always warned of the dangers of the Thornswild Wood, but standing before the dark foreboding forest, you know that her tales fell short of the truth.

The trees are all overgrown with ropey, thorn-encrusted vines. Three skulls hang half a dozen feet off the ground, and the vines have wormed their way through the vacant eye sockets to hoist them from the moist rotting soil. Those same vines seem to edge toward you, thirsting for fresh blood.

Somewhere within this wood is Sir Galwaith and the minotaur he swore to kill. Steeling your courage, you grip your weapons tighter and wonder if you'll ever see the light of day again. A raven flaps overhead, wheeling toward the towering cliffs at the heart of the forest. Even from a distance you can make out what appears to be ancient ruins high atop the cliffs. The crow caws from the distance, beckoning you into the wicked woods.

Not long after getting on the path into the woods, you come upon a clearing and hear what appears to be the sound of chewing and the occasional snarl or growl up ahead, though it is too dark to see clearly.

Map
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/Ajacks11/gitp1_zps1ce340aa.png

OOC
I took the liberty of making tokens for those who didn't have a character pic. For clarity's sake - Jin Jasper has the white border, Lucius green, William yellow, Krosey red, and Gidrel blue.

firstclassmail
2014-08-08, 06:26 PM
Gidrel peers through the brush to see if he can spot what is making the noise. He slows his breathing so whatever it is can't hear his heart thumping in his chest like a rabbit.

Spot check, untrained, I think I can still use spot even though it is not my class skill?

[roll0]

UristMcRandom
2014-08-08, 06:31 PM
William steps forward, surveying the scene with a displeased look on his face, "Alright, now I'm sure she's lost it... I don't suppose anyone has a way to actually light the torches we were given?" As he said this, he reached up with his dagger and hacked at a vine in frustration.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

ashifter
2014-08-08, 07:00 PM
Lucius grits his teeth and advances slowly, looking for the source of the sound as well as keeping his ears peeled for any other sounds.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Yael
2014-08-08, 11:48 PM
Krosy inspects the area, trying to figure out what kind of plants surround him, trying to identify noises and to percieve its surroundings.

I have no need for torches. I can see pretty well here. Says Krosy as he walks slowly towards the woods, while he tries to get along the wild. I will scout ahead if needed.

1. Knowledge (Nature) check: [roll0]
2. Listen check: [roll1]
3. Walk 5 feet (from ADx1 to ADx2)
4. Spot check [roll2]

If that takes too many actions (from spot and listen), only the spot will do.

Ajacks
2014-08-09, 01:50 AM
With the rest of the party blind for the most part, Krosey takes advantage of his darkvision and surveys the scene ahead. Relaying information to the party, there appear to be three wild dogs feasting on the flesh of a fallen horse. The remains of the rider can be seen, but they are nearing the point of being unidentifiable. It appears to be the remains of Sir Galwaith, his steed now being the main course.

OOC
The dogs are unaware of your presence. Everyone except Krosey is effectively blind without a light source. He is able to whisper a description of the scenario to each of you, however, without raising any alarms.

Map
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/Ajacks11/gitp2_zpsbd322876.png

ashifter
2014-08-09, 06:49 AM
Lucius

Trying not to stumble, Lucius continues down the path staying behind Krosey.

"Well, that's great for you but the rest of us can barely see our hands.

Lucius winces and says, "I-I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. It's just with everything that's happened... Do you think we could light a torch?

Kydell
2014-08-09, 09:40 AM

'I got it!' Jin shouts before shaving off some flint and striking the steel to light his torch.

Ajacks
2014-08-09, 11:29 AM
Hearing the sound of the flint and steel and becoming aware of the light of the torch, the wild dogs look up from their gruesome meal and snarl menacingly as if about to attack!

Initiative
Lucius - 17
William - 16
Wild Dogs - 15
Krosey - 13
Jin Jasper - 11
Gidrel - 7

ashifter
2014-08-09, 03:49 PM
Lucius:

With senses honed from avoiding the often violent retaliation to his pranks, Lucius is quick to react to the danger. He draws his weapon and advances to the left. Once there he prepares himself to react to any danger.

(Move Action: move to AC4, Standard Action: Total Defense, AC is now 17)

UristMcRandom
2014-08-09, 09:30 PM
William stepped to a point where he had a clear line of fire, notched an arrow, and fired at one of the Dogs (the one currently at AC8).

Move Action: AE0 - AD2
Standard Action: Attack with Shortbow
Damage: [roll1]

Ajacks
2014-08-10, 07:44 PM
Lucius positions himself and takes a defensive stance as William nocks and arrows and looses it towards one of the dogs missing by a narrow margin. The dogs bound toward Lucius, their nearest target, and quickly surround him with much growling and gnashing of teeth.

Wild Dog Actions
Northernmost dog to AC5. Attack - [roll0]. Damage - [roll1].
Easternmost dog to AD5. Attack - [roll2]. Damage - [roll3].
Southernmost dog to AD4. Attack - [roll4]. Damage - [roll5].

One of the dogs manages to grab hold of Lucius' arm as he tries to defend himself and shakes its head viciously, tearing flesh and drawing a good deal of blood.

Yael
2014-08-10, 11:30 PM
No!

Krosy sees the dogs and rushes to aid its fellow teammate. When in reach, Krosy tries to take out one of the dogs with its wooden axe, hoping for the best for Lucius.

Die doge of evil!

Moves from AD1 to AC3
Attack Roll: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Kydell
2014-08-10, 11:53 PM

'Ack! I hate dogs!' Jin yells as he hefts his shortspear and throws it at the nearest hound.

[roll0]

firstclassmail
2014-08-11, 06:49 AM

Gidrel, shocked by the sudden light and attack of the dogs, acts last out of the group. Seeing Krosy's valor inspires him to move to the nearest dog, hammer raised to try and save his companion. He swings with all his might at the nearest dog.

Move to AD3. I'm assuming I can't move through the thorns.
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage if hit (assuming no crit): [roll1]

Ajacks
2014-08-11, 09:57 AM
The dogs manage to scamper out of the way of Krosy and Gidrel's attacks, but the wee mage's spear aims true and strikes the now westernmost dog, yelping as it punctures it's side.

Map
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/Ajacks11/gitp4_zpsa7fbaa11.png

OOC
Sadly the critical hit was not confirmed and the dog has suffered 2 points of damage. The second round of combat begins

ashifter
2014-08-11, 10:06 AM
Lucius

Gritting his teeth at the intense pain, Lucius once again prepares himself to dodge the dogs' attacks.

Lucius thinks to himself,

Brilliant, I'm a dog chew toy now.

(Total Defense again, AC = 17)

UristMcRandom
2014-08-11, 10:57 AM
William winces as the dogs tear into Lucius' arm, before sidestepping around them and swinging his dagger at one of the dogs.

Move to AE5
Attack Dog at AD5 with Dagger, slashing damage.

Ajacks
2014-08-11, 05:47 PM
William stabs at one of the dogs and misses with his shot going low, but raises the blade in a slashing manner and cuts the wounded dog's throat wide open. It lets loose a gurgled yelp and falls the ground, kicking its hind legs twice before its eyes widen and glaze over. One of the dogs advances angrily towards William and bites at him, the other focusing on Lucius.

Wild Dog Actions
The westernmost dog is felled by William's dagger.
The southernmost dog attacks William in retaliation. Attack - [roll0]. Damage - [roll1]
The northernmost dog continues its assault on Lucius. Attack - [roll2]. Damage - [roll3]

Clutching his wounded arm, Lucius is able to avoid the aggression of one of the wild dogs. The dog attacking William manages to grab his leg and cause a deep puncture wound.

Yael
2014-08-12, 02:06 AM
Krosy sees the dogs biting again, he responds with violence, as if there were another thing to do.

Leave puppies of evil!

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Kydell
2014-08-12, 09:05 AM

The gnome moves closer and holds the torch up so everyone can see.

firstclassmail
2014-08-12, 10:11 AM

Gidrel takes a small step forward and swings once more with his hammer, lets out a scream, blindly hoping to connect.

Move Action: 5ft step to AD4 where the dead dog is. (I think no one is there now.)
Standard Action: Basic attack on the southernmost dog in
To Hit Roll: [roll0]
Damage if hit: [roll1]

Ajacks
2014-08-12, 09:19 PM
Gidrel's hammer misses, but Krosy's axe aims true and cuts deep into the side of one of the dogs. The dog yelps and staggers, obviously greatly injured and barely clinging to life.

Map
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/Ajacks11/gitp5_zpsdcbd3416.png

ashifter
2014-08-12, 09:44 PM
Lucius:

Lucius decides he's had enough of this dancing around and slashes at the dog in front of him (AC5).

Attack:[roll0]
dmg:[roll1]

UristMcRandom
2014-08-13, 01:58 PM
William gasps and drops to one knee in agony as the dog's teeth tear into his flesh. Suddenly, the look of pain on his face shifts in a darker direction, and he mutters something incomprehensible beneath his breath, releasing a blast of fire from his hands at the dogs.

Cast Burning Hands towards AB5.
Damage: [roll0]

Ajacks
2014-08-13, 03:03 PM
Lucius strikes the dog in front of him, cutting deep and producing a yelp.

William, dropping to his knee and having a look of rage upon his expression, clasps his hands together and unleashes a devastating hail of fire upon the two dogs. The smell of burnt and singed hair is in the air as both of the dogs fall and crumple into a fetal position still ablaze.

OOC
Victory! Combat over. For now.

UristMcRandom
2014-08-13, 03:37 PM
William, panting, looks at and feels his hands, shock painted on his face, "Wha- What did I just do?!"

ashifter
2014-08-13, 04:28 PM
Lucius:

Lucius plonks down onto the ground, breathing heavily from the adrenaline.

"We-we won! I can't believe it! We were amazing! Did you see me slash that dog? And Jin what a throw! And William, you just made fire come out of your hands!" And, and, my arm... hurts..."

Lucius stares at his heavily bleeding arm.

Yael
2014-08-13, 07:06 PM
Krosy.

Krosy stares at the dead dogs, and he turns his sight to Lucius.

I tried to help too... He whispered to himself.

After those congrat words, Krosy walks a bit and says: We must go on, can you continue, Lucius? If you cannot go on, we might rest a bit. Says with a concern on his voice. While waiting for its wounded friend's response, Krosy scouted its surroundings, it's still a hostile terrain, after all. Maybe he could look for herbs that are useful for medical purposes.

Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Survival: [roll3]

ashifter
2014-08-13, 07:26 PM
Lucius:

"I-I'll live. While I'd love some healing, I won't die either. If that's Sir Galwaith's body, perhaps there is something useful on it.

Ajacks
2014-08-13, 08:16 PM
After examining the remains of the humanoid beside the half-eaten horse, it becomes clear that this is not in fact the body of Sir Galwaith, but that of his squire. Further examination of the scene reveals the horse still has its saddlebags and within lay three similar concoctions in steel vials, a crushed lantern, two broken glass flasks that once apparently held oil, a ceramic flask full of what appears to be water, 50 feet of silk rope, and six days worth of trail rations (for one person).

Beneath the corpse of the horse, the handle of a sword protrudes. Further investigation reveals that it is in fact a sword that has been broken in twain. It appears to still be functional and quite sharp. It also appears to be the sword Sir Galwaith carried with him when passing through town. Half of it at least.

OOC
The broken-in-half sword functions as a short sword +1.

Kydell
2014-08-13, 08:47 PM

Seeing his new comrade hurt, Jin excitedly pipes up, 'Lucius! I have just the thing for you.' The gnome hurries over to Lucius and waves his hands about, starting a spell.

[roll0]
*do I add +1 or +0 because of my class level?

firstclassmail
2014-08-13, 08:49 PM
Gidrel

Gidrel looks around him at the carnage. His adrenaline ending, he looks at his mace to find no blood. He quickly fumbles to put it away, hoping no one noticed.

UristMcRandom
2014-08-13, 08:49 PM
William limps to his feet, gripping his bleeding leg, and lifts the sword, "I could stand some healing myself. Who's going to use this sword?"

ashifter
2014-08-13, 09:07 PM
Lucius:

Lucius watches with amazement as his wounds close. He rises, clasps Jin's arm and says,
"Wow it's good as new! Thanks!"
He then says to the rest of the group,
"Can I have the sword? It'd be nice to have an actual weapon instead of a farming tool."

UristMcRandom
2014-08-13, 09:35 PM
"Go ahead," William says, looking at the vines with the skulls hanging on them, "Any healing stuff in those bottles?"

Kydell
2014-08-13, 10:57 PM

Jin's grin widens with pride, 'No problem. Just a trick my great aunt Brickle taught me.' His eyes light up at the mention of mysterious bottles, 'Let me see those. I might know a thing or two about magicks.' He examines the vials closely.

Knowledge[arcana] check:
[roll0]
Spellcraft check:
[roll1]

Whichever is appropriate to find out what's in the vial.

Ajacks
2014-08-14, 12:22 AM
The liquid in the steel vials smells of peppermint and they appear to be potions of cure light wounds.

Kydell
2014-08-14, 12:31 AM

'Aha! Just as I suspected. These are potions of light curing. Drink one of these and you'll feel just fine. Bill,was it?' Jin holds a vial out to William.

UristMcRandom
2014-08-14, 01:43 AM
"William, actually, but Bill's fine," William says, taking the potion from Jin and opening the cork, "As many the customer has said, 'Bottoms up!'"

After drinking the potion, he walked over towards the vines, "You know, I wonder..." he swung his dagger through the vines, cutting off a length of about 15 feet and shaving the thorns off of one end to use as a grip, taking it in his hand and cracking it like a whip.

Potion of CLW: [roll0]

Just wondering, would it be possible for me to hack off some of the vines for use as an improvised melee weapon? (If so, can I cut a long enough vine to have reach?)

At best, I'd let you use one as a whip - exotic weapon, 1d3 subdual damage only, no damage to a creature with a +1 armor bonus or greater or a +3 natural armor bonus or greater, 15 foot reach.

Ajacks
2014-08-14, 01:48 AM
The path ahead appears to take off in two different directions. One leads north and the other, south. You can hear the sound of rushing water up to the north and you think you can hear the call of birds to the south.

ashifter
2014-08-14, 08:24 AM
Lucius:

Lucius stands up, picks up the broken sword, gives a few experimental stabs and says,

"Mwah ha ha, fear me creatures of darkness, for I am armed with a broken sword!"

He then strolls up to the fork and says,
"North, or South... Decisions, decisions. Well one direction is as good as any to me."

Kydell
2014-08-14, 10:55 AM

Jin picks up his shortspear before heading to the fork in the path. Listening to both directions, the gnome pipes up, 'I say we go north. If there are other nasty dogs there, we can at least sneak up on them with our noises masked by the water.'

UristMcRandom
2014-08-15, 12:20 PM
"Hm..." William said, looking at the paths, "North also has a definite source of water, and a potential source of food if any of us can fish, and there are fish in the river." Theonan coiled his vine whip, and looped it to his belt, before walking over to the squire's corpse, "These could come in handy, I imagine," he said, taking the ceramic flask, the rations, and the rope, and then looking around, "Think we ought to give the man a proper burial?"

Search check for the arrow I fired at the dogs: [roll0]

ashifter
2014-08-15, 05:07 PM
Lucius:

"Do we have time? Sir Galwaith might still be alive, however unlikely that may be. Perhaps it'd be best to give him a funeral pyre. Then again, he was brave enough to face death in the pursuit of killing the Minotaur, and so deserving of at least a shallow grave."

Ajacks
2014-08-15, 05:19 PM
Heading up a narrow trail to the north, a rushing brook cuts a deep notch across the forest path tumbling down a series of steep falls. A mossy log has been laid across the brook. The path continues on the far side.

Map
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/Ajacks11/gitp6_zps0db3de75.png

[B]OOC[/B
You are able to determine the mostly eaten remains are not those of Sir Galwaith, but those of his squire. There is not much to bury and Sir Galwaith's fate remains undetermined.

ashifter
2014-08-15, 06:06 PM
Lucius:

"Hey a log bridge!"

Lucius runs up to the middle of the bridge and starts balancing on one foot, arms spread open.

"Wheeee!"

(move to S15, and start balancing)

[roll0]

Ajacks
2014-08-15, 06:17 PM
Lucius steps onto the log and makes it about halfway across before the makeshift bridge suddenly collapses. It appears the log has been carefully sawn through and booby-trapped.

Reflex Save - [roll0]

Damage - [roll1]

Unable to avoid the danger of the collapsing bridge, Lucius tumbles down into the brook and begins to be swept away by the current.

OOC
DC 15 Strength check to find your way out of the rushing stream

ashifter
2014-08-15, 06:41 PM
Lucius:

Lucius cries out as he falls into the water. Gasping for breathe, he tries to swim to ashore.

[roll0]

UristMcRandom
2014-08-15, 06:46 PM
Thinking quickly, William throws one end of the rope to Lucius, holding tight to the other end, "Grab hold of this!"

Attack Roll to throw rope to him: [roll0]
Strength roll to help pull him out: [roll1]

firstclassmail
2014-08-16, 05:45 PM
Gidrel

Gidrel turns his head quickly after hearing Lucius scream, and sees him fall into the brook. Gidrel runs over to William and helps him hold on to the rope, getting ready to pull in case Lucius grabs hold.

Strength Check for holding the rope and pulling:
[roll0]

Yael
2014-08-22, 01:17 AM
Sorry, had no internet nor access.

Krosy was daydreaming, staring at the dead dogs, when he heard Lucius' scream, he quickly jumped over to its aid.

I'm going to help 'ya buddy!

Strength check to pull the rope. [roll0]

Holy crayons! Hope that helps :)