PDA

View Full Version : Attune Gem

tadkins
2014-08-08, 05:54 AM
Found this interesting feat and wanted to get some opinions from others on it.

http://dndtools.eu/feats/magic-of-faerun--20/attune-gem--136/

Assuming I'm playing a wizard with a love of gems and some investment in Craft: Gemcutting, how practical and effective would attuning gems be? A friend of mine was saying that this is just a more expensive version of Scribe Scroll, but it looks like this might have some extra potential when used in the right way.

What are your thoughts?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-08, 07:12 AM
The cost is twice that of an equivalent scroll even before you add in the cost for the gem.

That said, you can do some neat stuff with it. The fast creation time is a definite bonus and you can use them to create quick and effective traps, especially if you know what enemies you are facing a day or two in advance.
For example if you know you're going to undead you could set them to trigger on proximity to undead and use them as thrown weapons or with Launch Item. Or scatter a few in a hallway to delay pursuit.
You can also use them to store buffs but for everday stuff i'd look into spellstoring items to avoid the cost. Spending a few thousand gp and a few hours per day for buffing gems just isn't worth it.

You just can't really use it very often because it gets expensive fast. Sadly, they lack an equivalent to the Runecaster PrC with it's ability to create reusable runes.

tadkins
2014-08-08, 01:58 PM
Ah that's a shame. I had an idea where my wizard's lair could be fortified with gem-turrets that shoot blasting spells at intruders. xD

In either case, I agree, it would be cool to have some kind of Gem Master PrC for this kind of thing.