PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Nature Warrior without Divine spells?

OverdrivePrime
2014-08-08, 11:37 AM
For an IRL game, I've had a fairly specific character concept in mind for a while now, but I can't figure out how to implement it without bending Pathfinder rules.

Available Resources:
10th level. Standard WBL. Human or Half-Elf.
All Paizo resources on d20pfsrd are allowed. I might be able to swing some 3rd party materials as long as they're well-reviewed and I can get the DM access. No 3rd or 3.5 edition resources. Really no Forgotten Realms for any reason.

The Concept:
A melee striker, wilderness skill monkey and secondary caster. A ranger, essentially. The difference here is that he'd use formulaic spells, preferably with Intelligence as his casting stat. This character disdains the gods, having seen their influence in the lives of others and wants no part of it. I'm picturing his magic as more elemental based - perhaps mastering the formulas of earth and water or some such.

How would you build this character? Are there obvious archetypes or prestige classes I'm missing? Are there any Pathfinder feats or traits that switch a class's magic from divine to arcane?

Thanks for your help!

Ssalarn
2014-08-08, 12:29 PM
I think you'd probably need to play a Magus and invest your skill ranks accordingly if INT based casting is that integral to your character concept.

Alternatively, you could probably pull off some kind of multi-class shenangins and grab the Magaambyan Arcanist prestige class, whose Halcyon Magic ability allows him to cast druid spells as arcane spells. That might be rough for a melee striker though, as the PrC is only 1/2 BAB.

Secret Wizard
2014-08-08, 12:40 PM
You could always go Skirmisher Ranger if you don't mind giving up spells for strong abilities. Otherwise, you can go Archaeologist or Arcane Duelist bard and then hop on to Arcane Archer.

Psyren
2014-08-08, 01:32 PM
Alchemists are Int-based and get Survival and Knowledge (nature.) For even more of a nature focus, take the 1st-party Bramble Brewer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-elf/bramble-brewer-alchemist-half-elf) racial archetype for Half-Elves. The mutagen gives you nice physical bonuses, and so you may want to pair it with Vivisectionist and wade into melee.

LunaLovecraft
2014-08-08, 02:42 PM
I tend to view druidic and ranger magic as divine but not necessarily from worship of gods. Rather, a general appreciation of the spirits and souls that inhabit the wilderness are what grant the druid her powers, and they grow as she proves her ability to protect the wild with experience.

I once built an int-wis combo druid who dipped a level in alchemist for flavour reasons (and because mutagens before treesinger wild shapes is a fun concept). Their goal was to protect plants and they practiced alchemy to learn how to experiment with and alter plants to increase their strength-- her goal was to create a strain of fire-proof flowers and transmute that into some sort of air-borne disease that would eventually make all plants fire-resistant.

OverdrivePrime
2014-08-08, 03:12 PM
Wow, lots of good directions to go in. Thanks guys!

I literally have never considered the Alchemist before, for any reason, and that prejudice has apparently caused me to overlook some tasty goodness. I'll dig into it!