PDA

View Full Version : Secret of the Ooze: or how do i open this door?

GutterFace
2014-08-08, 11:46 AM
So this will be the last post on the subject for me for a while: then it's playtesting.

if you have seen my other posts, awesome; if not, then i am rolling out a Living Spell (Random Action) Awakened Ooze.

Here are the question. first: im an ooze, a blob for the most part....right?

can i ride a mount? Climb a ladder? open a door handle? i dont have arms or hands to articulate so i cant even put on armor if i had body slots....

is this right? am i missing something? can i shape myself like ectoplasm?

toapat
2014-08-08, 12:26 PM
I would assume anything you can engulf you can affix yourself to. You dont ride mounts so much as digest/explode them though, but you should be able to climb ladders

theres also bunnyhopping and even gliding depending on whether you are more liquid goo or semi-motile putty.

Either way you are still going to be playing Sargent Schlock

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-08-08, 12:51 PM
You probably can't ride a mount, well maybe with a special saddle that's a real ask the DM case, but you could be carried by an animal. This is a situation I've often found myself in with low level PF summoners that either don't take Ride or have non Mount Eidolons.

You should be able to climb ladders and even ropes and walls with appropriate skill checks. You should also be able to Balance, Jump and Swim btw.

Opening a door handle is going to be awkward. It's probably as hard for you as it is for cats and dogs. Being more intelligent I'd say you unquestinably can do it, but it probably takes longer than it takes people.

The rules for item slots on creatures lacking anatomy are fairly loose, but you probably don't have a body slot and your pseudopods won't be able to wield weapons effectively. I'd rule that you can "use" rings, amulet, belt and back items that are floating in your mass and that you can "hold" wands, scrolls, etc and drink potions.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-08, 04:36 PM
You should have the correct NUMBER of magic item slots, but what those slots actually ARE is up to the DM. I would not allow you to equip boots, for example, but would allow an extra belt or ring perhaps.

Xaktsaroth
2014-08-08, 08:52 PM
You should have the correct NUMBER of magic item slots, but what those slots actually ARE is up to the DM. I would not allow you to equip boots, for example, but would allow an extra belt or ring perhaps.

In my mind, it'd be super funny to see all the oozes items floating inside of it. Helmet, boots, body armour, belt, etc......

Or take VoP.

Don't take VoP. :/

KillianHawkeye
2014-08-09, 07:12 AM
Am I the only one who wanted this thread to be about Ninja Turtles? :smallamused::smallsigh:

Darrin
2014-08-09, 08:29 AM
Obligatory RustyAndCo Link (http://rustyandco.com/wallpapers/cube_of_rock_800x600.jpg).

GutterFace
2014-08-09, 09:37 AM
Am I the only one who wanted this thread to be about Ninja Turtles? :smallamused::smallsigh:

That's how i lure people in ;)

Ettina
2014-08-09, 10:24 AM
Opening a door handle is going to be awkward. It's probably as hard for you as it is for cats and dogs. Being more intelligent I'd say you unquestinably can do it, but it probably takes longer than it takes people.

But if the door isn't completely airtight, you won't need to open it - just ooze past it.

If you want an idea of what an ooze might be like, look at cephalopods. They're not quite as versatile as oozes, but they do have no bones, and can squeeze through tiny cracks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6L82iJ_NTI

If you do have items floating in your ooze, though, you won't be able to bring them through any hole smaller than they are. Unless you have some sort of ability to change the nature of those objects - form example if you became an ooze through shapeshifting the objects would become ooze with you.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-08-09, 11:50 AM
But if the door isn't completely airtight, you won't need to open it - just ooze past it.

Unless they go the VoP route there will be issues with magical gear floating in the mass.

KillianHawkeye
2014-08-09, 12:29 PM
That's how i lure people in ;)

You got me, but unfortunately I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to the actual topic at hand. In other news, does anybody actually buy Megan Fox as April O'Neil? :smallconfused::smallconfused:

Blackhawk748
2014-08-09, 12:50 PM
If your familiar with Castle Crashers the little ooze things in the cave can jump, pretty freakin high actually, so you should be ok. Doors, may be an issue but you should be ok

Off Topic: Saw the movie last night, honestly it was great.

Vaz
2014-08-09, 12:55 PM
Time Hop.

That is how everyone should open doors in D&D.

Demons_eye
2014-08-09, 01:17 PM
Edit: Nevermind, this is what I get for searching for keywords and not reading