PDA

View Full Version : Item Familiar and their Special Abilities - what to pick?

Firechanter
2014-08-08, 02:14 PM
Hey folks,

I've been aware of the Item Familiar feat for a while now, but have never used it in a game. However, now I am considering it for a new character in an upcoming game (after we have completed the current campaign, which will take a while, so no hurry).

I plan to play a Warblade. Probably straight Warbie without multiclassing, skilled as a Charger, wielding a Meteor Hammer as primary weapon. (The Meteor Hammer is basically the same thing as a Spiked Chain, just with Bludgeoning damage instead of Piercing)
So, since that is a really exotic weapon, I probably need not hope to ever find such one as a loot drop. Hence I am considering to pick up Item Familiar, so I can get a decent base weapon once and then upgrade it myself.

It's gonna be a bit tricky to fit in the IF reasonably early, seeing how I want EWP, PA, IBR, Leap Attack and Shock Trooper. We play with the PF Feat progression but normally don't use Flaws, so that's gonna be a bit tricky. Especially since it would make sense to take the IF asap to benefit from the Skill Rank Investiture. Concentration boost hel-lo. ;)

Well anyway, the other thing is the Special Abilities you get to pick at level 10, 14 and 18. Is there any consensus on which Specials are really good deals and which rather aren't worth it? I am asking because I am sometimes a bit unimaginative in terms of synergies, so I might be on the entirely wrong track with my initial assessment.

Thanks in advance. =)

Firechanter
2014-08-19, 05:45 PM
*bump*

Did this just get rolled back, or was my question so dumb? xD

bjoern
2014-08-19, 05:56 PM
*bump*

Did this just get rolled back, or was my question so dumb? xD

If you're a caster the "spell use" ability is good. Its free and boosts your action economy. Otherwise it just depends of how much $$$ you have.

If its a weapon giving it the free +1/+2/+3 upgrade is nice since its given for free and can save you cash to do other stuff. The lesser , greater, and dedicated power abilities all require you to put money Into it.