PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection/Replacement in starter set campaign

Smegskull
2014-08-08, 03:10 PM
I can't find anything on what to do if a character dies in this. Normally I would have the player role up a new character at 1 lvl lower than party average per party member. But the PHB isn't out yet and when it comes out I suspect the freedom would give the player heavy advantage over the campaign's default characters.

I don't want to reuse the character sheet as it has a fixed backstory (and its a lame move).
Are there any rules on resurrection maybe that the party can use? They have made friends with the 2 richest and 1 most religious people in the campaign so I am ok giving a discount but cannot find rules on lost XP ability score penalties etc.

pwykersotz
2014-08-08, 03:12 PM
Short version, you take a -4 penalty on your d20 after being raised, and it decreases by 1 per long rest. I'll edit with the complete version if I'm not beaten to it.

Edit:

From the basic rules PDF (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules?x=dnd/basicrules)

Raise Dead
5th-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 500gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: Instantaneous

You return a dead creature you touch to life, provided that it has been dead no longer than 10 days. If the creature's soul is both willing and at liberty to rejoin the body, the creature returns to life with 1 hit point.
This spell also neutralizes any poisons and cures nonmagical diseases that affected the creature at the time it died. This spell doesn't, however, remove magical diseases, curses, or similar effects; if these aren't first removed prior to casting the spell, they take effect when the creature returns to life. The spell can't return an undead creature to life.
This spell closes all mortal wounds, but it doesn't restore missing body parts. If the creature is lacking body parts or organs integral for its survival-it's head, for instance-the spell automatically fails.
Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The target takes a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. Every time the target finishes a long rest, the penalty is reduced by 1 until it disappears.

Jeraa
2014-08-08, 03:15 PM
Revivify is a spell in the Starter Set that can bring back the dead. However, it must be used within 1 minute of death.

If you also use material from the Basic PDF, Raise Dead can bring back someone who has died within the last 10 days. Requires a 500gp diamond, but as a 5th level spell it is beyond the abilities of the players to use. However, maybe there is an NPC capable of using it, or maybe a scroll can be found.

Also in the Basic PDF is the Gentle Repose spell. It doesn't bring someone back, but stops the body from decaying. Time spent under the Gentle Repose skill doesn't count toward time limit for bringing someone back.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-08, 03:30 PM
I recommend rolling up a fresh character using the rules from the Basic PDF.

Smegskull
2014-08-08, 03:35 PM
Raise dead won't work if it needs all body parts. The redbrands ran off with the rogues head to show their boss the traitor is dead.

Unless I have the party look for his head when they take out the rest of the redbrands. I think I will do that.

It's a bit silly that nothing on what to do when a character dies was put in the box.

pwykersotz
2014-08-08, 03:50 PM
Eesh...this is getting spendy then.

Resurrection
7th-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 1000gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: Instantaneous

You return a dead creature you touch to life, provided that it has been dead no longer than a century, that didn't die of old age, and that isn't undead. If its soul is free and willing, the target returns to life with all its hit points.
This spell neutralizes any poisons and cures normal diseases afflicting the creature when it died. It doesn't, however, remove magical diseases, curses, and the like; if such effects aren't removed prior to casting the spell, they afflict the target on its return to life.
This spell closes all mortal wounds and restores any missing body parts.
Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The target takes a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. Every time the target finishes a long rest, the penalty is reduced by 1 until it disappears.
Casting this spell to restore life to a creature that has been dead for one year or longer taxes you greatly. Until you finish a long rest, you can't cast spells again, and you have disadvantage on all attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.