PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Help build a Canal City heavily Commerce based.

Zenchi
2014-08-08, 03:46 PM
The premise of the city is that of being a major trade hub for a number of prime material planes. About 60% of the pathways are canals of various sizes (the parts of the city above water). Since all of my campaigns take place in or around the city I need help designing some of the city. I've already designed about 700,000 square feet of city, but thats a small fraction of the whole city. That and the city is supposed to have a wide variety of archetecture and forms of design. As a single entity I only have so much creativity so I need your help.

What I need.
Design and submit here, block sizes are as follows:
200x200ft square
100x200ft rectangle, two levels
200x200ft right triangle, two levels
100x200ft right triangle, three levels

Knowledge you need to build the city,
There is literally at least 1 of every intelligent species living here and about as many or more visiting at all times, try and be slightly accomodating to large races sometimes, but honestly do what ever you want, design a small size only part of the city if you want. Going from block to block almost always involves some form of floating vehicle, usually a boat, except the occasional bridge, no more then 2 per block.
There are many market districts but they tend to blend some, for example you might have a block which blends part of the red-light district with religous district. Unless otherwise stated all building outer-walls are 4 inch masoned stone reinforced with magic to make them water proof and protected from most forms of wear and tear. Internal walls, unless otherwise stated are inch thick oak (or otherwise similiar strength wood). Putting in strange things like a waterfall or a ship in the middle of a block with only 10‘ water ways. Go wild. Magic is low fantasy for most planes so magic is a bit rare, however this city has been a focal point for millienia so within the city high-fantasy, tourists are common. As for macro geometry, probably wont help, is a double crescent port with a sharp rise of mountains behind, city is half in the mountain, half multi-layered above ground. The Assassins and Thieves guild, or at least the most powerful versions of these in this multi-planar group reside here. However they don't poop in their own backyard, ever. All guilds have an alliance to keep the city free of government and in continual state of semi-ordered chaos. Most blocks need places to give room and board from really cheap to really absurdly exspensive.

What I should be telling youare the few do not's
-No banks or money changing, this is all operated by a single bank with a single rather large building.
-If your going full detail, don't list individual items rather the range of goods sold and range of quality, I'll need an idea of the same shop in different market conditions.
-Nothing touching the port, although you can have a block at the edge of one of the higher levels. If this is true, make sure every building on the edge has at least 1 cannon. Is it a bar, candy store, bath house, chapel...there's a cannon for the mutual defense of the city.
-Don't worry about plumbing unless it's something special.
-No jail or prison, this doesn't include special rooms in the red-light district.
-No road can be straight all the way across a block.
-Only blue, green, gold and silver dragons are allowed in the city, and then only polymorphed to medium size. Too long to explain why, except that one incident involved about 20 dragons attacking the city attempting to take it's wealth, they failed.

Thats probably good enough for a start

*Disclaimer if this ever becomes published any block submissions are entilited to a % of profit based on the number of pages your blocks take up divided by total pages, this probably won't happen.