PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.x] Giving Epic Level Spells Spell Levels

Eighthling
2014-08-08, 10:33 PM
In the ELH, for the base spellcraft dc of a seed, it says that the base dc of the seed is 10 + the max spellcraft ranks a sorcerer of the minimum level required to cast the spell that the seed is based off. So, as a variant rule, you could reverse this formula to give epic level spells spell levels. This could also be used to modify existing spell. Say, for instance, you want to be able to cast gate without using any XP. In Mitigating Factors, 100xp subtracts 1 from the spellcraft DC. Since gate costs 1000xp to summon creatures, getting rid of all of it would bring it up to a 14th level spell. If you wanted to make it lower level, say 12th, you could choose to take 4d6 backlash. This isn't intended to completely replace epic casting, because some epic spells have incredibly high DCs, and normal epic casting should still be possible. This would just be a way to fill out spell levels above 9th with non-metamagic spells, and make some smaller DC epic spells usable more times per day.
EDIT: Something I forgot to mention; the speelcraft dc to level would us sorcerer level / 2 as max spell level (soley for the purpose of calculating level).

Gavinfoxx
2014-08-08, 10:56 PM
But I thought all epic level spells have 0 DC?

Cause, you know, your army of simulacrums providing spell slots??

Eighthling
2014-08-08, 11:08 PM
This also adds a mechanical way to research be spells (including non-epic ones). And much more epic spells per day

Gavinfoxx
2014-08-08, 11:09 PM
But researching 0 DC epic spells is free though? You can do it as like a free action, right?

Tvtyrant
2014-08-08, 11:12 PM
For 10-12 spell slots I suggest picking through the old Netheril and Dark Sun books. Karsus folly could easily just give you a couple divine ranks.