PDA

View Full Version : Weird Low-Level Build

Naanomi
2014-08-08, 11:53 PM
At my local card shop, people were doing some 'arena' style play; level 5 characters, no magic, no story... just fighting. Pretty generic overall, but one guy had an interesting early-entry build I hadn't seen before.

Lesser Tiefling
Monk (Cobra Strike Style, UA) 2/Aerial Avenger 3 (Dragon Compendium)
Flaws (2), Quick Trait
Feats: Fiendish Bloodline, Outsider Wings, Air Heritage, Improved Flight

At level 5 that was Perfect Maneuverability flight of 80; another level of monk would make it 100; extra feats from E6 advancement would boost it further (Hidden Talent/Speed of Thought; Dash; Catalog of Enlightenment: Celerity)

Not terrible for E6 maybe, and was fairly functional in a magic-less arena. Never seen that particular early entry path before.

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-09, 12:23 AM
What was his strategy exactly though? If he tries flyby attacks, opponents can ready actions to hit him, and if he engages them at range...well its nice and all, but they can do likewise, and better if they are built for it. Plus, he gets shut down by a tanglefoot bag, so...I guess it is a nice concept, and it could actually be very thematic and useful (somewhat ironically, considering he was made for arena combat) in a normal campaign, but here...it's cool, but just sort of eh.

Naanomi
2014-08-09, 12:29 AM
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I think he dropped tangle-foot bags and burning oil on people and flew around opportunistically attacking people who were otherwise engaged during the grand-melee.

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-09, 12:33 AM
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I think he dropped tangle-foot bags and burning oil on people and flew around opportunistically attacking people who were otherwise engaged during the grand-melee.

Ah, so it was a battle royale type deal. Well in that case, that would be a good way to either avoid incurring too much notice, or incurring all of the notice, depending on everyone else there. Still, not bad.