PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Blowguns?

JusticeZero
2014-08-09, 12:34 AM
I felt like putting together a character or group that uses blowguns, but the rules on them seem very lacking. Also, poison is traditional, but very expensive. How do they work system wise, and how would one go about making it an effective weapon choice?

The Oni
2014-08-09, 12:57 AM
They're super weak. I'm pretty sure they follow the same rules as longbows, or perhaps crossbows. To make them more effective...try Warpriest for Sacred Weapon damage?

Diachronos
2014-08-09, 01:00 AM
I'm assuming that they work just like other ranged weapons mechanic-wise: standard action to fire one, can do a full-attack if your BAB is high enough, etc. I may be wrong on that though, I've never used blowguns or seen anyone use them.

Probably the simplest way to "cheaply" acquire poison would be to harvest it from monsters with poison attacks, like giant spiders. You're not very likely to get anything potent since the only monsters with "good" poison are usually high-CR and aren't really worth hunting just for collecting poison.
You could roll as an Alchemist and take the poison-enhancing discoveries to boost your effectiveness, and it'd also give you the poison use ability.

JusticeZero
2014-08-09, 11:53 AM
Well, they look like they are defined as a missile weapon like a bow, and the only Simple missile weapon without reloading times. The only thing I have seen to clarify beyond this is that it is in the DSP Marksman "Thrown weapon" group, which would be useful by giving strength I suppose, though the lack of mention in the entry on projectile weapons in core doesn't necessarily agree. It has fluff about being silent from stealth, but infuriatingly has no crunch to back it up that I can find.. I'm not sure if any of that is either cleared up 1p or if there is anything that those traits opens up.