PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Adapting some PF races into 5e

ArqArturo
2014-08-09, 01:42 AM
I'm planning converting my campaign world into 5e to test the game, and since it was written under the PF rules, there's lots of work to be done. I wanted to start with the alchemist/oracle, but that will be for another time. Right now I want to focus on three races: The Dhampir, the Aasimar, and the Strix.

This is what I have so far:

Aasimar.
Charisma 1, Wisdom 2
Medium
Darkvision
Celestial Resistance: Resistance to electricity damage
Celestial legacy: Guidance at level 1 once per day, Celestial Bolt at level 3 once per day, Augury at level 5 once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Languages: You can speak, read and write common and Celestial

Dhampir.
Charisma 2, Dexterity 1
Medium
Darkvision
Undead Resistance: Resistance to necrotic damage
Intimidating: proficient with the Intimidation skill
Sense Undead: Detect Evil three times per day, but only for undead creatures
Languages: You can speak, read and write common.

Strix.
Dexterity 2
Medium
Flight: you fly at your speed.
Darkvision
Suspicious: Advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and spells of the illusion school
Nocturnal: Advantage on Perception rolls during the night
Languages: You can speak, read and write common and elvish.

Any thoughts?.

T.G. Oskar
2014-08-09, 02:26 AM
I'm planning converting my campaign world into 5e to test the game, and since it was written under the PF rules, there's lots of work to be done. I wanted to start with the alchemist/oracle, but that will be for another time. Right now I want to focus on three races: The Dhampir, the Aasimar, and the Strix.

This is what I have so far:

Aasimar.
Charisma 1, Wisdom 2
Medium
Darkvision
Celestial legacy: Guidance at level 1 once per day, Celestial Bolt at level 3 once per day, Augury at level 5 once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Pretty much a good version of the Tiefling. Yeah, this might very well be the eventual Aasimar/Deva. I'd change the Celestial Legacy of Aasimar to the Light cantrip (they originally began with Daylight), and maybe Prayer of Healing and eventually Beacon of Hope 1/day as 2nd and 3rd level spells respectively. It all depends if Daylight crosses over to 5e (the language of Darkness suggests so). It could also be that 1/day you can treat the light from the cantrip as a 3rd level or higher spell, cancelling the Darkness effect (and directly opposing the Tiefling). Personally, I believe the Aasimar's Celestial Legacy will work more along the lines of having one spell and more applications of said spell.

Dhampir.
Charisma 2, Dexterity 1
Medium
Darkvision
Undead Resistance: Resistance to necrotic damage
Intimidating: proficient with the Intimidation skill
Sense Undead: Detect Evil three times per day, but only for undead creatures
Languages: You can speak, read and write common.

Seems fair. I'd do Sense Undead much like the Paladin's Divine Sense (automatically sense all undead within 50 ft.), though.

Strix.
Dexterity 2
Medium
Flight: you fly at your speed.
Darkvision
Suspicious: Advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and spells of the illusion school
Nocturnal: Advantage on Perception rolls during the night
Languages: You can speak, read and write common and elvish.

Any thoughts?.

Aren't Strix basically playable Gargoyles?

Anyways: Strix would be one of the few races with one ability score increase instead of two, so add a minor increase to, say, Constitution or Strength. Nocturnal should also grant advantage to Stealth checks. Finally, in languages, I'd do a cool nod and say they begin speaking Gargish, and that they speak Common in a strange way ("To be an enemy of the Strix. To be hunted with Passion. To be seized by Control. To never give up, as Diligence provides. To be the destiny of the enemies of the Strix*).

As an easy port-up: find what's common between the Ifrit, Oread, Sylph and Undine. Call them "Genasi", and make the four races sub-races of the Genasi. All but the Oread have Dexterity as a boosted ability score: thus, start with Dexterity +2, then define the bonus as such. All have Darkvision, and a SLA based on their element (which could easily be a cantrip). All have Medium size and Darkvision, and an affinity to their native element. Thus, they could easily be written as follows:

--

Genasi.
Ability Score Improvement +2 to Dexterity
Size Medium
Speed 30 ft.
Darkvision
Languages Common and one other language, based on subtype.
Subtypes Genasi have four main subraces, one for each element: Ifrit, Oread, Sylph and Undine.

Ifrit (Fire Genasi)
Ability Score Increase +1 to Charisma
Fire Affinity Advantage on saving throws against fire attacks
Fire Magic Fire Bolt cantrip at-will
Languages Ignan

Oread (Earth Genasi)
Ability Score Increase +1 to Strength. Unlike other Genasi, Oreads don't gain a +2 to Dexterity, but a +2 to Constitution instead.
Earth Affinity Advantage on saving throws against acid attacks
Earth Magic (No idea; there's no Magic Stone spell. Maybe on the Warlock cantrips?)
Languages Terran

Sylph (Air Genasi)
Ability Score Increase +1 to Intelligence
Air Affinity Advantage on saving throws against electricity attacks
Air Magic Shocking Grasp cantrip at-will
Languages Auran

Undine (Water Genasi)
Ability Score Increase +1 to Wisdom
Water Affinity Advantage on saving throws against cold attacks
Water Magic Ray of Frost cantrip at-will
Languages Aquan

--

That way you collapse 4 races into one, and find a superb way to port each race into proper D&D terms. You also have integrated fluff for Forgotten Realms.

Tholomyes
2014-08-09, 03:16 AM
A potential for oreads is to give acid splash, given Earth's traditional association to acid. I'm not too fond of that association, but another solution is to give a non-combat cantrip, for the symetrical flavor, and then add weapon proficiencies, due to their more martial stats.

TheOOB
2014-08-09, 03:43 AM
I hate to be that guy, but you should really wait for the core rulebooks to come out before you start to home brew. Some of these might already be made, and it's hard to balance things for a game that you don't even have a third of the materials for yet.

Jenckes
2014-08-09, 08:46 AM
I posted a similar topic earlier with a homebrew alchemist, next week will be our first campaign session. On paper it looks pretty balance but I suppose only time will tell. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bK3A4EuL1gs8vQq23onmR9nhD1dwKfCHH7ay3opthWI/edit

I did make this before the players handbook was out so the spell list is based entirely off of the basic rules. Most spells that are single target and provide some sort of buff, healing, or some such could be added to the spell list.

Edit* I think those player races look fairly balanced, though honestly I think half-elf in the player's hand book is a lot better than some of the other races. The only thing I have to say is really in no way your fault- Strix is stupid. Allowing PCs to fly at first level was never something I was okay with in any DnD esque system. Flight is a very powerful tool. I would consider saying they can't fly in medium+ armor, or even giving them 1 or 2 less hp less per level due to a body that has evolved to be light, and to some extent frail.

Chaosvii7
2014-08-09, 10:24 AM
This ground was covered to a minimum degree in another topic.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365781-So-what-s-the-ETA-on-playable-Goblins-Non-Core-Race-Thread

Somebody posted their take on a few non-core races that are also found in Pathfinder, and had an intent to also make more. These might be useful for those looking for them.

Lastly, don't we have a homebrew forum for 5e yet? I think if this topic gets popular it might be a little better off there.

ArqArturo
2014-08-09, 11:46 AM
Snip

Well, I always regarded Strix as flying monkeys of sorts :smallbiggrin:. But, the idea of Strix as gargoyle-esque... You're plating with my childhood, man! XD.

And I love the idea of the genasi, so I might use it :)

I hate to be that guy, but you should really wait for the core rulebooks to come out before you start to home brew. Some of these might already be made, and it's hard to balance things for a game that you don't even have a third of the materials for yet.

I hate that guy :smalltongue:, but, you may have a point. Perhaps they might add some things in the future, and we are so close to get the PHB.

I posted a similar topic earlier with a homebrew alchemist, next week will be our first campaign session. On paper it looks pretty balance but I suppose only time will tell. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bK3A4EuL1gs8vQq23onmR9nhD1dwKfCHH7ay3opthWI/edit

I did make this before the players handbook was out so the spell list is based entirely off of the basic rules. Most spells that are single target and provide some sort of buff, healing, or some such could be added to the spell list.

Edit* I think those player races look fairly balanced, though honestly I think half-elf in the player's hand book is a lot better than some of the other races. The only thing I have to say is really in no way your fault- Strix is stupid. Allowing PCs to fly at first level was never something I was okay with in any DnD esque system. Flight is a very powerful tool. I would consider saying they can't fly in medium+ armor, or even giving them 1 or 2 less hp less per level due to a body that has evolved to be light, and to some extent frail.

I will definitely get a look on the Alchemist, since it's relevant to my interests. I am looking also to try and see if I can adapt the Oracle, but it seems I can do a swap with the cleric and work my way from there on different curses/revelations.

In the case of the strix, I think the Raptoran approach might work to make things more balanced. Although, to be honest, flying is not that much of a problem, since you can always use wind, and there's the fact that there's other non-flying characters to look out for.

Angelalex242
2014-08-09, 02:40 PM
I'd prefer my Aasimar to have +2 Cha, +1 Str myself.

Remember, they're the Paladin Race, not the Cleric race.

Tholomyes
2014-08-09, 03:21 PM

Remember, they're the Paladin Race, not the Cleric race. But even in 3.5, when their favored class was Paladin they got +2 Wis, +2 Cha. And since then, in both PF and 4e, they've definitively drifted to favor cleric over Paladin. +2 Wis, +1 Cha seems about right to me, unless you were to split them into subclasses, where I'd probably make it +2 Wis, and either +1 Str or +1 Cha (or maybe +1 Int as a nod to the 4e deva).

ArqArturo
2014-08-09, 03:36 PM
But even in 3.5, when their favored class was Paladin they got +2 Wis, +2 Cha. And since then, in both PF and 4e, they've definitively drifted to favor cleric over Paladin. +2 Wis, +1 Cha seems about right to me, unless you were to split them into subclasses, where I'd probably make it +2 Wis, and either +1 Str or +1 Cha (or maybe +1 Int as a nod to the 4e deva).

Well, it could be this way:

Aasimar.
Charisma 2
Medium
Darkvision

Subtypes:

Devas:
Descendants of those angels charged with protecting mortalkind's souls, Devas gain their inherent ability to reveal the truth in lies, and shine a light in an otherwise opressive darkness.

Wisdom 1
Celestial light: Light at level 1 once per day. At level 3 you gain an extra use of Light per day, but you designate an object 10 feet away from you as the source of the spell. At level 5, you can use Light to cancel the effect of a Darkness spell.

Vanir:
Descendants of those angels charged with fighting demons, Vanir Aasimar charge headlong into battle, bringing the wrath of the Heavens to their enemies.

Constitution 1
Celestial might: You can use Wrathful Smite three times per day. You use Charisma to determine the difficulty to pass the Wisdom save.

rlc
2014-08-09, 04:43 PM

Remember, they're the Paladin Race, not the Cleric race.

in some editions, sure, but who's to say that in this one, they aren't going to be the cleric race? clerics can still be pretty militant, especially with the life cleric getting heavy armor and all. but, that being said, if they are the paladin race, maybe they sould get something cleric-y that paladins usually don't get (or vice versa, if it's the cleric race and there are things that paladins have that clerics don't). or, they could get something completely different.

Angelalex242
2014-08-10, 10:03 AM
In the back of my Head is Pathfinder's Angelkin, which are basically perfectly suited to be Paladins.

rlc
2014-08-10, 12:15 PM
that's fine. i can see it going either way and until, we get an official one, we won't really know.