PDA

View Full Version : Monk Way of the Four Elements, Fangs of the Fire Snake, Water Whip and Flurry of Blow

Wolfsraine
2014-08-09, 01:43 AM
Monk Way of the Four Elements, Fangs of the Fire Snake, Water Whip and Flurry of Blows. Can all of these be used in the same turn to make 6 attacks at level 7.

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-09, 02:16 AM
Monk Way of the Four Elements, Fangs of the Fire Snake, Water Whip and Flurry of Blows. Can all of these be used in the same turn to make 6 attacks at level 7.

Short answer: No

Slightly longer answer: No, because you are only allowed 1 bonus action a turn so water whip and flurry of blows can not be used on the same turn.

You can, however, use Fangs of the Fire Snake and either Water Whip or Flurry of Blows.

Wolfsraine
2014-08-09, 02:20 AM
Ah ok, thanks!

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-09, 02:27 AM
Not a problem :)
Monk is still pretty amazeballs. I'm looking forward to playing basically the Avatar someday soon.

Wolfsraine
2014-08-09, 02:32 AM
Follow up question. Is the extra attack from Martial Arts considered a bonus action? Can I take my attack action, get a free attack, then take my second attack and then use flurry for 5 attacks a round?

1of3
2014-08-09, 05:01 AM
Martial Arts is a Bonus Action. Either that or flurry.

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-09, 05:43 AM
Basically you always get a second attack free. Normal attack action, then bonus unarmed attack. BUT you can instead spend a ki point to do two unarmed attacks.

Martial Arts
Attack Action, Bonus Unarmed Attack
No Ki Spent

Flurry of Blows
Attack Action, two Bonus Unarmed Attack's
1 Ki Spent.

Jakinbandw
2014-08-09, 09:09 AM
Flurry of blows takes 1 ki AND a bonus action. So discounting the traditions, the most attacks a monk can make is 4. Oddly the fighter maxes out at over twice that at 9.

ImperiousLeader
2014-08-09, 09:37 AM
sorry, misread.

CyberThread
2014-08-09, 10:18 AM
Does it seem they can blow thorugh ki rather quickly ?

Surrealistik
2014-08-09, 02:25 PM
Monk was my favourite class by far during the closed alpha playtest, particularly the Elementalist variant, and it's good to see that it will be more or less unchanged in the retail release; can't wait to rock it when the 5e campaigns start up in earnest.

Wolfsraine
2014-08-09, 02:38 PM
It's very disappointing that the monk's free attack is a bonus action. What's the point of monk if you can't pump out a massive flurry of attacks?

Jakinbandw
2014-08-09, 09:35 PM
The wreck casters. They are proficient with *ALL* saves. They can spend Ki to reroll a save. They can take a single action to dispel any mental effect on them (and then with their bonus action still move or dodge). They have improved evasion from 3.5e. Later on they can follow a mage anywhere with astral projection that they can use it more often than the mage can (twice every short rest, with Ki left over).

HorridElemental
2014-08-11, 12:03 PM
The wreck casters. They are proficient with *ALL* saves. They can spend Ki to reroll a save. They can take a single action to dispel any mental effect on them (and then with their bonus action still move or dodge). They have improved evasion from 3.5e. Later on they can follow a mage anywhere with astral projection that they can use it more often than the mage can (twice every short rest, with Ki left over).

Can someone confirm this?

I heard it was just Strength and Dexterity saves they were proficient in.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-11, 12:10 PM
They gain proficiency in all saves at level fourteen. That's still thirteen levels of failing every Constitution and Wisdom save they're forced to make.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-11, 12:13 PM
They gain proficiency in all saves at level fourteen. That's still thirteen levels of failing every Constitution and Wisdom save they're forced to make.

*Shrug*

So have an ally hit the spellcaster and break their concentration. Dex saves are the money save.

Jakinbandw
2014-08-11, 05:51 PM
once they hit 14th they monks laugh at reflex saves. They can use Dodge as a bonus action which allows them an advantage on all reflex saves (so roll two dice take the best), if they don't like the original result they can reroll it (roll two more dice, take the best result), on a success they take no damage, and on a failure they only take half damage anyway. I could see them disarming traps with their face.