PDA

View Full Version : Race Breakdown

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-09, 07:27 AM
Classes have been getting a lot of focus, but how'd the races turn out? Here's my two cents.

+2 Con, always relevant. Like it or not Con determines hit points and hit points are kind of a thing you need to keep living.
Speed 25 ft, below average but not bad.
Darkvision, handy.
Dwarven Resilience, Advantage against poison is niche but it's also free advantage and poison sucks.
Dwarven Combat Training, Free weapons but if you're going to use them your class likely already gives you the proficiency. Not the reason you play Dwarf.
Tool Proficiency, Craft will not be as dominating as it has been in the past, but this is still nice and flavorful. Plus, Brewers Supplies. Come on.
Stonecunning, when stone work becomes important suddenly so shall you.

Hill Dwarf
+1 Wis, Perception is still a thing and Cleric's, Monk's and Druids will like the bonus.
Dwarven Toughness, if you're +2 to Con didn't tell you that you'll be hard to kill this should.

Mountain Dwarf
+2 Str, a +2 in Con is good. A +2 in Str is good for combat classes. A +2 in Con and Str for combat classes is bonkers.
Dwarven Armor Training, did you pick the Mountain Dwarf to not play a class that already has proficiency in Armor? Well ok, you're call but here it is anyway.

Thoughts: Dwarves don't have all the best racial features but they don't need to. +2 to Con is already reason enough to play a dwarf. The Darkvision and various proficiencies are situational but still fun and very in the spirit of being a Dwarf. As far as subraces go, I like Mountain Dwarf a little better but it's not strictly better than Hill Dwarf. Hill Dwarf's Toughness is universally probably better than armor training anyway but unless you're playing an armored mage you don't pick the Mountain Dwarf for their Armor Training. Pick the subrace that best fits your build and go nuts. 4/5, great for certain builds or if you just want to play a dwarf.

+2 Dex, While Dex may not be quite as universally good as Con it's still pretty nifty. You still need it for initiative and unless you're wearing heavy armor you'll need it for AC. Monks, Rogues, certain Rangers and Barbarians will love it, as will most casters.
Speed 30 ft, Solid.
Darkvision, Nifty
Keen Senses, Free Skill
Fey Ancestry, doesn't always come up but when it does you'll be happy

High Elf
+1 Int, doesn't determine spells anymore but Wizards still like it.
Elf Weapon Training, unlike the dwarf I think these do come into play more. Rogue might want a longsword.
Cantrip, Pretty great. It's a free at/will and cantrips aren't bad in 5e
Extra Language, neat.

Wood Elf
+1 Wis, See "Hill Dwarf". Though with the +2 to Dex already a Wood Elf Monk is looking pretty fun right about now.
Elf Weapon Training, see "High Elf"
Fleet of Foot, You don't have to be faster than the Tarrasque, just faster than the High Elf behind you.
Mask of the Wild, If you're a stealthy type you'll like this. Even if you'e not a stealthy type but you find youself needing to hide in the woods, you'll be happy you're a wood elf.

Dark Elf (Drow)
+1 Cha, it's not the most universally useful stat but there are a few classes that need it this time around: Bard, Cleric, Paladin, Warlock.
Superior Darkvision, Haha, I can see better than you can-
Sunlight Sensitivity, Aww....
Drow Magic, Free Spells. Not quite as versitile as High Elf's Cantrip might be but you also get two more spells than they do.
Drow Weapon Training, Sadly I think this is along the same lines as a dwarf. If you're using them you'll probably already be proficient in them.

Thoughts: Elves are pretty strong. Ignoring the stat boost they have a few pretty relevant abilities. A lot of what you'll get is in your subrace though, so that's a big factor. I think Drow might be the weakest subrace but they'e not bad. My problem is I feel like if you're picking them to play a Drow than you'll be happy but if you're picking them for a class than there are better races out there. High Elf and Wood elf are both very strong. 4/5(3/5 for Drow), Elves give you a lot. You're likely picking them for a stat boost or racial ability but you'll be getting even more than what you actually want.

+2 Dex, just as good for halflings as it is for elves.
Size, doesn't help with AC in 5e to my knowledge. Now it's actually slightly hindering.
Speed 25 ft, Below Average but not bad.
Lucky, Nobody likes you nat 1. Go Away.
Brave, Niche but nice. When I'm the only one not frozen by frightful presence it won't matter that the Wood Elf could run faster than me.
Halfling Nimbleness, Turning a slight hindrance into a strength. That's pretty freaking halfling.

Lightfoot
+1 Cha, like the Drow it's not universally useful but classes do want it more than they use to.
Naturally Stealthy, pretty hilarious and I know every halfling rogue will want this.

Stout
+1 Con, arguably better than the Cha boost from lightfoot. Everyone likes more hit points.
Stout Resilience, Like the dwarves this is niche but nice.

Thoughts, A lot of what makes the Halfling good is in the core halfling which is nice. It means you can pick your subrace based on class or build and know you have a solid base of racial traits to back you up. Stout if probably better if you'e picking your class by throwing a dart at a bunch of options but Lightfoot has it's place. 4/5.

+1 to er'ythang, .... yup, that's nice.
Speed 30 ft, solid.

Thoughts, So human is kind of bland but good. You won't get anything out of them but you probably don't need to. You're taking this because you might be over extending in abilities and human can help you out. You're taking this because you want a boost in at least three things. If you only need two solid ability scores than there might be a better class out there. It's hard to find flavor in something that's trying to be generic so I'm gonna give humans 3/5 as a base. They're not bad, they're just... human. They'e actually pretty good.

Variant Human
+1 to two things, still pretty good.
Skills, Free Skill
Feat, free Feat.

Thoughts, It's hard to tell how good the free feat will be. I'm tempted to say "GREAT" since a lot of the feat's look very nice. Since several of the feats give a bonus to an ability score anyway this might end up reading +1 to three things plus some other stuff that's relevant to your class, in which case great!. A Barbarian taking "Durable", A Wizard taking "Keen Mind", A Monk taking "Athlete" or a Bard/Sorcerer/Warlock taking "Actor" are all great ways to get your human to read "+2 to primary stat, +1 to Secondary Stat, Free Skill, Bonus stuff". That reads pretty well on paper. Now you have to have a DM who's allowing Feats which is why I'm rating this separate from generic humans but even the flavor of this speaks better to the "Humans are a versatile class". I'm going with 4/5 but depending on how feats turn out this could end up being a 5/5 since you can pretty much tailor it to be the perfect race for whatever build you want.

+2 Str and +1 to Cha, It's an odd combination to be sure. Half the classes you'd pick this for like one side a bit more than the other. But y'know who loves both? Paladin. Well, Cleric might too. And I suppose a Warlock with a Blade Pact... and a Bard of Valor.... actually you know what? This is pretty good.
Speed 30 ft, Solid.
Draconic Ancestry, Versatile and badass.
Breath Weapon, it's once per short rest so it's not amazing but it's still pretty great and I can't think of a build that would say, "Y'know what? Nah, I don't really think I'd want a free breath weapon".
Damage Resistance, Icing on the Draconic Cake.

Thoughts, Dragonborn are great. They're not the go to for every build but they don't have a single racial feature I can see that isn't relevant at some point. 5/5.

+2 Int, As I mentioned with Elves Int isn't as good as it has been but Wizards still need it and Wizards are pretty good and short of a variant human this is the only class that get's the +2 off the bat.
Size, See "Halflings"
Darkvision, Nifty
Gnome Cunning, Wait, what?! Free advantage on all Int, Wis and Cha saves against magic? That's pretty great.

Forest Gnome
+1 Dex, Got to get that AC up somehow.
Natural Illusionist, ILLUSIONS MICHAEL! (It's a free spell, what do you want from me?)
Speak with Small Beast, Niche but Nifty

Rock Gnome
+1 Con, So it's boost to AC or boost to HP? Gnomes are pretty sweet.
Artificier's Lore, Considering how much adventurers tend to run into all of these things, having a Rock Gnome is pretty Handy.
Tinker, ALL OF THE FLAVOR!!!! Plus some cool toys.

Thoughts, I think I love gnomes. I've never played a gnome, I don't know why they just never looked super appealing to me. Now, I might have to. They look like SO much fun. I'm so tempted to just give them the full 5/5. I mean, both subraces have good abilities and even if a +2 to Int isn't appealing to everyone Gnome Cunning is a pretty awesome ability. But the cunning only applies to magic, and honestly I feel like a bunch of the scarier magical saves require Dex so I'm gonna give them a 4.5/5 and say that this is the best Gnomes have ever been done.

+2 Cha, +1 to two other abilities, I've already noted that Cha is more relevant (if only slightly) this time around. What I like most about this though is it feels like icing on the cake. You have two other abilities of your choice to help out and if you're build happens to have Cha as a main stat? Score. Half-Elf Sorcerer all day. +2 Cha, +1 Dex, +1 Con.
Speed 30 ft, Solid.
Darkvision, Nifty
Fey Ancestry, doesn't always come up but when it does you'll be happy
Skill Versatility, Free Skil-, I'm sorry, TWO free skills.

Thoughts, In a campaign that doesn't allow feats I think Half-Elf beats out Human as the best versatile race 8/10 times. It doesn't have a lot of mind blowing abilities but all of them are just... nice. And at the end of the day I'll take 4 nice features over a handful of good and bad one's any day. More than that I think this feels like the best blend of Human and Elf to date as well. 4/5, best half-elves have ever been done as well.

+2 Str, +1 Con, Not quite a mountain dwarf but still pretty nice.
Speed 30 ft, Solid
Darkvision, Nifty
Menacing, Free skill
Relentless Endurance, Super relevant for a race that's 9 times out of 10, gonna be right in the front lines.
Savage Attacks, Forget Barbarian! I'm going Fighter Champion!

Thoughts, Mountain Dwarf might get out with more things but Half-Orc goes for quality over quantity. The reason Mountain Dwarf still get's a nice spot is that extra point in Con and the fact that I could see non-martial builds wanting to play dwarf just for some of the resistances, stonecunning and the armor proficiency. If you're playing Half-Orc? You're playing martial. You don't have to, but if you're building with purpose you will. That said as a martial race its fantastic. I'm glad they get intimidate off the bat and I'm even happier that they no longer have a penalty to Cha. 4/5

+1 Int, +2 Cha, This is actually a little sad for me. Cha and Int are both fine abilities but I can only think of one class that would want them both and that's Bards of Wit. If Tiefling's were the only race that got the +2 to Cha that would at least give them the niche of go to race for Warlock and Sorcerer but they aren't. And Half-Elf might be able to do them better.
Speed 30 ft, Solid.
Darkvision, Nifty
Hellish Resistance, Fire is common so that nice.
Infernal Legacy, Free Spells!

Thoughts, Sadly I think this is the worst of the uncommon classes. The free spells and the resistance to fire save it I think. For a Bard build it's quite nice but more for a Bard of Wit than a Bard in general since a Dragonborn can easily do the Bard of Valor better and a Half-Elf can do either fairly well. But Half-Elves also burn like the rest of you so HA. 3/5, situational but solid. You're probably playing one because you want to be a Tiefling though.

All in all I'm really happy with the races. Even the worst are still pretty good and the best really knock it out of the park. The whole race section probably merits a 4/5 from me.

... I still miss my Shifters though.:smallfrown:

Falka
2014-08-09, 07:57 AM
I don't think I would play a race just for the bonuses, but that's just me. I think races should just make sense, not become a random stat boost package to min-max your class. So, Tieflings look pretty nice to me: they're supposed to be cunning and deceitful. I can't see a more appropriate combination for them besides + Int and Cha.

Overall I think this edition has done a good job by making all races good at what they're supposed to be good at. Want to make elves nimble and graceful? Don't just give them +2 Dex, make them actually run faster. They should have keen senses? Then give them free Perception proficiency. That's neat. It tells a lot more about what can a character do rather than a passive stat bonus.

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-09, 08:08 AM
I don't think I would play a race just for the bonuses, but that's just me. I think races should just make sense, not become a random stat boost package to min-max your class. So, Tieflings look pretty nice to me: they're supposed to be cunning and deceitful. I can't see a more appropriate combination for them besides + Int and Cha.

Overall I think this edition has done a good job by making all races good at what they're supposed to be good at. Want to make elves nimble and graceful? Don't just give them +2 Dex, make them actually run faster. They should have keen senses? Then give them free Perception proficiency. That's neat. It tells a lot more about what can a character do rather than a passive stat bonus.

I actually quite agree with you. I like the design of all of the races and just judging them on design for feel of the race I think they all do a stand up job. But here I'm looking at the races from a build standpoint. If you started out with a class, or a build you wanted to do, which races pull you in? And in that regard Tiefling only draws looks from a few of them. If you want to play Tiefling, play Tiefling! It's a fun race and I'm sure you can make a suitable build in any number of classes but I'm not sure you jump from class to Tiefling as much as you would some of the others. So to clarify, I think +2 Cha and +1 Int is solid design for a Tiefling. But unfortunately not a lot of classes like both Cha and Int, it's usually one or the other so you may look to other classes if there's a design you really want to play out.

Jenckes
2014-08-09, 09:06 AM
With how this game is set up, I might not choose my race specifically so that I can maximize my effectiveness in a given class, but there are races I would not choose based on my class.

You really don't want to start the game with a +2 stat bonus to your primary stat. You certainly could, I just happen to think it'd be a bad idea. So if I wanted to play a bard I wouldn't necessarily think that I had to play half-elf or lightfoot halfling which would likely be the optimal choices, but I definitely wouldn't want to play wood elf or dwarf. It would likely be level 19 before my saving throws caught up with where they are meant to be.

Malifice
2014-08-09, 09:10 AM
Im still not sold on Dwarven Wizards being a go to due to armor and weapon proficiencies.

Guess the idea of a Dwarven wizard in splint mail and with an Axe casting sleep off the bat at 1st level just feels wrong to me.

TheOldCrow
2014-08-09, 09:14 AM
Wow, so much Darkvision! Seeing in the dark has really become the standard, soon it will just be assumed and instead we'll be handing out "Night Blindness" to Humans and Halflings as a racial disad instead.

Falka: If I were designing races, I'd skip the stat boosts altogether and do exactly as you described. Things like Dwarven Resilience are so much more flavorful than a con boost, and really get across how being a Dwarf makes one tougher than an Elf, even if they had the exact same con score.

Prophet_of_IO: Thanks for your analysis, I had a fun time reading about all the different races and how useful their abilities would be.

I do think you are overrating humans, though.

+1 to all stats sounds good, but the standard array is not human friendly. Eventually the human would get around to boosting their mostly odd stats, but until they do the points are wasted, and it requires them to devote their stat boosts to bring up stats they might not otherwise want to invest in in order to get any benefit.

Rolling is slightly better, because half the stats will be odd on average and so will benefit from +1, but the other half will not. From there, its like the standard array as humans gain stat boosts as they go up in level.

Point buy is a bit more friendly, since you can cherry pick your stats to get a benefit from all those +1. Of course, with non-humans getting at least +2, +1, the human's racial ability is 3 extra point buy points. Although that non-human's +2 could go into a high stat that costs 2 for 1, so its more like humans get 2 extra point buy points. That have to go into their lowest stats. Because that 8 turns into a 9 and the boost is worthless unless it is bought up to a 10.

I think the variant human is just as weak, but a lot more interesting and fun. Feats are the new shiny, and the variant human allows you to grab a feat at first level instead of waiting until 4th. I think variant humans will be very popular for the first few months because of this.

If we assume that people will eventually want a mix of feats and stat boosts, though, the variant human has questionable value over the long haul.

Say you want to play a Dex based class. So lets cross off what both a human gets and what an elf gets and see what the net gain is. If you play a human, you get a feat. If you play a Wood Elf, you get +1 dex , Darkvision, +5' to movement, advantage on charm, and better at hiding in natural surroundings (and a few odds and ends). It seems that the thought here is that non-humans' racial abilities are worth only a half feat, because non-humans get that extra stat boost. I really don't think it is worth so little, especially when it comes to Darkvision.

Tholomyes
2014-08-09, 09:57 AM
I think the variant human is just as weak, but a lot more interesting and fun. Feats are the new shiny, and the variant human allows you to grab a feat at first level instead of waiting until 4th. I think variant humans will be very popular for the first few months because of this.Have you not played 3e or 4e? Humans were, outside of niche cases, the best choice for almost every class, due to their extra feat at first level. And those were systems where a) Feats were less powerful, b) Feats were more numerous over 1-20, c) you got another one at level 1, and didn't need to wait until level 4 to have even the choice of one, and d) the racial Ability score boosts mattered more.

TheOldCrow
2014-08-09, 10:07 AM
Have you not played 3e or 4e? Humans were, outside of niche cases, the best choice for almost every class, due to their extra feat at first level. And those were systems where a) Feats were less powerful, b) Feats were more numerous over 1-20, c) you got another one at level 1, and didn't need to wait until level 4 to have even the choice of one, and d) the racial Ability score boosts mattered more.

I have not played 4e. I've played 3e. Humans were good. Non-humans got a stat bonus and an equal stat penalty-- which meant it was possible for them to come out ahead with point buy, though that penalty could often hurt. But feats and stat boosts were not interchangeable. You got both, so if you got an extra feat, it was always an extra feat.

Let us say that the human and elf in my above example reach level 4, and the elf takes the exact feat the human took at level 1, but the human opts for a stat boost. Now the net gain for each is +1 stat for the human, and racial goodies for the elf. Basically, that's what humans boil down to in this edition.

Tholomyes
2014-08-09, 10:44 AM
I have not played 4e. I've played 3e. Humans were good. Non-humans got a stat bonus and an equal stat penalty-- which meant it was possible for them to come out ahead with point buy, though that penalty could often hurt. But feats and stat boosts were not interchangeable. You got both, so if you got an extra feat, it was always an extra feat.

Let us say that the human and elf in my above example reach level 4, and the elf takes the exact feat the human took at level 1, but the human opts for a stat boost. Now the net gain for each is +1 stat for the human, and racial goodies for the elf. Basically, that's what humans boil down to in this edition.Or they could take two feats by level 4. Two feats over 1 was enough of a reason to take Human over other classes in 3e. And remember, with the stat caps at 20, both races will get their requisite stats to max, but one will have more feats than the other. Assuming you only spend your stat ups increasing your main stat, which started at 16 or so, you're at 3-4 feats left for most characters. That 5-to-4 or 4-to-3 will make a difference, and for the most of the game, it won't even be that, but will probably be closer to 3-to-2, or 2-to-1, or even 1-to-0. Some of the feats aren't the best, but the ones that are really good definitely weigh in favor of the human.

Malifice
2014-08-09, 11:34 AM
Or they could take two feats by level 4. Two feats over 1 was enough of a reason to take Human over other classes in 3e. And remember, with the stat caps at 20, both races will get their requisite stats to max, but one will have more feats than the other. Assuming you only spend your stat ups increasing your main stat, which started at 16 or so, you're at 3-4 feats left for most characters. That 5-to-4 or 4-to-3 will make a difference, and for the most of the game, it won't even be that, but will probably be closer to 3-to-2, or 2-to-1, or even 1-to-0. Some of the feats aren't the best, but the ones that are really good definitely weigh in favor of the human.

Juggling feats and stat increases has been the biggest trick with Multiclassing so far.

My Barbarian/Fighter doesnt get his first feat till 7th level, but they come thick and fast after that.

Most of the MC builds I am working on generally come up a Stat bump or Feat short when compared to a vanilla class.

Which is probably a good thing as a limiter to many dips. There is a price to pay for venturing outside your class.

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-09, 12:11 PM
The Old Crow: I do think you make a strong case. I might actually overestimate even the basic Human's as a +1 across the board isn't as powerful as it seems. If you roll for stats than it does get better but with the elite array you are essentially looking at two +2 stats and one +3. I could've bumped them down to 2/5 but I don't think they're quite that bad. They still have some level of flavor and since they're a very basic race they're a viable option for every class and so I kept them at 3/5.

As for the Variant human, I stand by that call. First off it's worth mentioning the free skill. It's not much and stacking it up against, say an Elf as you did, it's basically Keen Senses. It's nice, however, since you can pick any skill so it gives you more flexibility in what skills you're proficient in, even one that your class and background wouldn't have granted. You are right, however, that feat's in this edition aren't as defining. Yes, they have more to them than feats of the past but we're comparing them to a system where everyone get's feats and considers them in a build and humans simply get one more. In this edition Feat's are an option and are more specialized so you likely won't pick more than one or two in any given build. What makes the human variant good in my opinion is, once again, flexibility. Yes, the elf and other races get more abilities and at higher levels can simply pick the same feat in a similar build and now we compare a human's +1 stat against all the other elven class features. It certainly looks to be in the favor of elves and in certain builds it probably is but humor me.

Let's compare a few of these builds. Say, a Fighter, Wizard, Cleric and Rogue using the standard array with a quick build. In these example's I will be comparing similar builds. I'm assuming they just reached level 4 in the Starter set builds, only with Feat's available. They have the same class features we're just looking at stats and implied class abilities.

Human Fighter
Str 17, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Feat: Durable

Wood Elf Fighter
Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8
Feat: Durable

15 in Con, 14 in Str, 13 in Dex, 12 in Wis, 10 in Int, 8 in Cha
The Human at lv 4 puts a +1 in Str and Dex since Str is the "primary" stat and Dex was the "odd number". The Elf took Durable like the human gaining a +1 in Con. The Human is ahead in Str and Con, both of the Primary stats and the two stats that the elf is "ahead" in (Dex and Wis) don't have enough to make a difference. The Elf still has all of their racial features and the human has a bonus skill.

Human Wizard
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feat: Lightly Armored

High Elf Wizard
Str 8, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feat: Lightly Armored

15 in Int, 14 in Dex, 13 in Con, 12 in Wis, 10 in Cha, 8 in Str
Like before, the Human at lv 4 puts a +1 in Int and Con since Int is the "primary" stat and Con was the "odd number". The Elf took Lightly Armored like the human gaining a +1 in Dex. The Human is ahead in Int and Con. Only Int is the Primary stat but it's not high enough to matter. Similarly the elf is ahead in Dex but not enough to matter. In this case it's the "odd number" that makes the difference. Con isn't the secondary that we were working with but it is an important secondary skill for wizards and in this case, it makes the difference.

Human Cleric
Str 14, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 12
Feat: Resilient

Wood Elf Cleric
Str 13, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12
Feat: Resilient

15 in Wis, 14 in Con, 13 in Str, 12 in Cha, 10 in Int, 8 in Dex
Like before, the Human at lv 4 puts a +1 in Wis and Str since Wis is the "primary" stat and Str was the "odd number". The Elf took Resilient like the human gaining a +1 in Con and proficiency in the save. The Human is ahead in Wis and Str. In this case Wis doesn't matter and the wood elf is still neck and neck. It's a trade off of Str and Dex. The human could've put both points into Wis going up to 18 but chose to spread out.

Human Rogue
Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 16
Feat: Actor

High Elf Rogue
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16
Feat: Actor

15 in Cha, 14 in Dex, 13 in Int, 12 in Con, 10 in Str, 8 in Wis
In this case the human puts both points into Dex since it's the "primary" stat. The Elf took Actor like the human gaining a +1 in Cha. This turns out to be a practically identical build. The Human has the Dex advantage ove the elf and the elf has a +2 in Int over the humans +1. In this case, however, Int isn't as much of a feature.

Now, these are slightly biased builds since the elf is just copying the human and not attempting it's own form fitting build but what we're looking at is why the Human variant can be considered great. Versatility. The human picks the feat more or less to have the stats to best benefit themselves in any class. Getting that +2 in an important stat is what they take the free feat for, the extra benefits of the feat are largely bonus. If the elf copies that feat it doesn't mean as much for them as it does for the human off the bat. That's how I envision the Feat will be beneficial to human variants.

Jeivar
2014-08-09, 12:36 PM
Say, does Keen Senses still mean an advantage (as in two rolls, pick the better one) on all Perception rolls? I found that massively useful in my groups playtest.

Secret Bard
2014-08-09, 12:47 PM
Say, does Keen Senses still mean an advantage (as in two rolls, pick the better one) on all Perception rolls? I found that massively useful in my groups playtest.

And if so, how does it affect passive perception?

pwykersotz
2014-08-09, 01:11 PM
And if so, how does it affect passive perception?

+5 to passive perception.