PDA

View Full Version : What should I write?

RationalGoblin
2007-03-05, 10:46 AM
Like the title says, I don't know what I want to write. I've tried to write science fiction, fantasy, the whole genre shebang.

So, anyone have something they want written? (Or typed more likely)

I honestly have tried, but for some reason, nothing fits.

I've tried more fantasy and I am a little tired of it, so if you can, try not to have fantasy.

Even post what kind of personality you want characters to have, and I'll try to put it in writing.

slapdash
2007-03-05, 11:10 AM
If there's nothing you want to write, why would you force yourself to do it?

There are more genres besides sci-fi and fantasy, too...

RationalGoblin
2007-03-05, 11:22 AM
Ah, but those are the genres I've wrote the most.

And I want to write, I should've worded my comment better, I just can't think of anything to write that sparks my interest.

Khantalas
2007-03-05, 01:10 PM
Here's my advice as a person who likes to write, but can't:

Be patient. Divine inspiration rarely works easily.

If you can't think of anything that interests you, find several topics that are at least slightly interesting and free write about each of them. The length may vary, but free write. After you're done, read what you've written. If you have written long enough and about topics not completely unrelated, you will probably have reached a common point in all of them. Since you're not writing an essay, your subjects will not be ideas, but probably plot hooks.

Keep your standards low. I can't remember who said it, but my English 102 teacher often quotes: "There's no such thing as a writer's block for someone whose standards are low enough."

You don't become a novelist or a storywright if you don't know anything about people. I am a terrible writer, for example, because I can't observe people and their personalities as I should.

Read a lot. You're probably doing that already, but read critically. Study how an author constructs the sentences, the paragraphs. Study his choice of words. Study his style. And try to emulate those styles until you can find a style of your own.

Broaden your horizons. While you may find it easier or more enjoyable to write sci-fi or fantasy, you learn more when you write in different genres.

Write a lot. I believe that is a must. Write a chapter of a story. Read it. Think about how you could do it better. Work on it again. Repeat. Sooner or later, when you're satisfied with the outcome, post it somewhere to receive criticism. And my advice is, don't post it in sites where there are people that rate even lousy stories such as mine 8 out of 10.

These are what I can tell you as a lousy writer. If you're already doing those stuff, do them more often.

Zephra
2007-03-09, 03:49 PM
write a fairy tale with a twist

Totally Guy
2007-03-09, 05:19 PM
write a fairy tale with a twist

That's loads of fun! I once wrote Little Red and the Rival Hood, which was the set in the old 1950 gangster genre.

"She walked into my office..."

ufo
2007-03-09, 05:47 PM
Yeah fairy tale twists are good. Also, serious stories set in unserious settings are one of the best.

Totally Guy
2007-03-09, 05:50 PM
Yeah fairy tale twists are good. Also, serious stories set in unserious settings are one of the best.

That's also good however they tend to start off as comedies and change gear towards the middle. That way you can have things like power rangers in the context of the story.

ufo
2007-03-10, 05:03 AM
I once read a book (called "An Ugly Adventure*) where some office-buisness men somehow got suits that looked like over-sized lizards and via a machine travelled through the adventure's of the borthers Grimm. Little Red Riding Hood eventually was 60 years old (still in the body of the small girl), smoking and was hte main villain, having murdered her mother with a knife and trapped her father (the one who invented the adventure-travelling machine) in the adventures.

Crazy CRAZY stuff, but a really REALLY good book.

You should write something like that.

*"Grim" is the danish word for ugly. So the brothers Grimm's name with one M taken out would be ugly, so the original title is "Et Grimm't Eventyr" translated to "An ugly adventure".