PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cheap protection for allies against burst spell

duboisjf
2014-08-09, 10:16 AM
I would like to cast sunburst in small rooms but the 80ft burst radius means we'll be in the AoE

Is there a cheap way to protect my allies : our ninja got a bad habit to fail his save in crucial moment and a blind ninja is even more useless than a ninja :)

Tower shield could provide total cover but it needs coordination and they would lose a standard action to do so.

So I'm looking for cheap way to provide total cover or other mean of protection against burst spell.

Thank you

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-09, 10:26 AM
Selective Spell (ShS) lets you exclude one creature in the area.
Spellguard of Silverymoon (SM) has a similar ability that lets you exclude a type/subtype or only target creatures with a certain type/subtype. It's restricted to arcane casters though.

Wings of Cover (DM) cast by someone with the dragonblood subtype can shield adjacent allies. It's also usable from a wand and not too expensive. If your Ninja has UMD he can use it himself.

Diachronos
2014-08-09, 10:44 AM
Ring of Evasion with Dex/Reflex buffs?

Khantin
2014-08-09, 03:02 PM
If you are looking for a Pathfinder solution, get a metamagic rod of selective spell, or learn the actual feat. The rod costs 11k and only lets you exclude 4 allies and has only 3 uses/day, whereas the feat requires 10 spellcraft ranks and uses a higher spell slot, but you may exclude up to your casting stat mod.

edit: 11k for a max of 6th level spells, I didn't realise sunburst was 8th level. Greater rod is 24.5k, which is probably outside the "cheap" range.

Forrestfire
2014-08-09, 08:26 PM
Get him a wand of Emergency Force Sphere. Sunburst is a burst, so the sphere would block its effects.

duboisjf
2014-08-09, 10:17 PM
Get him a wand of Emergency Force Sphere. Sunburst is a burst, so the sphere would block its effects.

I like the idea. Think I'll get it into a object that allow it once per day, would cost about 11,2K might be handy for other situations.