PDA

View Full Version : Tome Of Magic - Truenamer

Akennedy
2007-03-05, 11:20 AM
Now, If I'm not horribly mistaken, the truenamer, in the tome of magic, is horrendously underpowered on many different levels, and here are a few reasons why:
- The DC to say a truename [15 + (2 * Cr of target)] is rediculously high.
- The target gets a save (as all spells, but increases the chance for failure of the spell ultimatly)
- Every additional time a spell is cast, it becomes harder to cast, adding 2 more to the DC of the truespeak check. (Understandable, because there has to be some limit to casting in a day).
- No real damage spells, just utility(Limited) and garbage spells.
- Need intellect and charisma for spell casting. Int for Truespeak checks, Cha for save DC's

I mean, i love the idea, the words of the universe can be used against other creatures though hours of study and hours of practice. However, the chance for a spell to be cast, and it actually penetrate their defences (saves), is practically impossible, for levels one, through twenty.

I want to play one in an upcoming campaign, but, I'm not going to play one if they just suck and make it impossible to cast spells. Might as well be an Expert (npc class) since without spells, that is all this class would be, essentially.

All in all, does anyone have ideas or fixes to make this class a decent option for playage?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 11:30 AM
The_Demented_One made some homebrew Utterances that helped.

Lowering the CR to 10+(2*CR) helps too.

There's also ways to boost your check: high Int, Skill Focus (Truespeak), that amulet in the back, custom items of +x to Truespeak (try any of the following: ring, gloves, boots), circlet of intellect, tome of clear thought...

Khantalas
2007-03-05, 11:56 AM
I did a quasi-fix that changed the DC of Truespeak checks to 15 + creature's CR (for monsters) or HD (for characters) or caster level (for items) + utterance level (for Evolving Mind) or utterance level + 3 (for Crafted Tool). Any other modifiers apply.

I am not sure about Perfected Map, though.

Catch
2007-03-05, 12:38 PM
Great idea. Lousy execution.

It's a baby-step towards a skill-based casting system, but so far, that's as far as I can see WotC going. Personally, there's a third party Chaos magic system done by Mongoose that I like, but that's a story for later.

As far as the Truenamer is concerned, the DCs for Utterances are the crux, and tinkering with the base vrs. the rate of increase is more math than I'd really like to invest. I'm hoping that the listed numbers are the results of an in-depth think tank effort by Wizards, but a lot of times I feel that they just pull numbers out of a hat.

Baalzebub
2007-03-05, 12:42 PM
And that's why the official Truenamer stinks, give me a Bard anyday.

ImperiousLeader
2007-03-05, 01:18 PM
The problem is that you can't really do skill-based casting with the current D&D system, given the ease with which you can augment skill checks. You think these are high DCs, but there are a few well-designed builds that make make them easily.

Skill-based casting? Wait for 4.0.

Akennedy
2007-03-05, 01:51 PM
Fax - where are the utterences? I've browsed around but cant find em, if you could link, plz do :)

Khantalas - I like your idea, i might impose it with a little modification *thumbs up*

Catch - I agree... *cries*

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 01:55 PM
Utterances (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10964) and Racial Substitution Levels (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10962), both by The Demented One.

Akennedy
2007-03-05, 02:16 PM
Thank you generously sir!

Akennedy
2007-03-05, 02:51 PM
so what about damaging spells? I mean, at this point, a cleric still looks more appealing

Catch
2007-03-05, 03:26 PM
so what about damaging spells? I mean, at this point, a cleric still looks more appealing

Well... we're talking about clerics here. Clerics.