PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel 5e warlocks stack with 3e warlocks?

CyberThread
2014-08-09, 12:56 PM
Are you seeing a mature growth of the class from 3.5 e to 5e? Seems we have given up raw eldritch damage, for more spells, higher recharge rate , and the potential class abilties that make warlocks grow into more then just one or two trick ponies.

How do you folks feel?

pwykersotz
2014-08-09, 01:13 PM
Well, your question is a bit leading and I don't have the PHB yet, but I definitely like what I've seen so far. I've always loved the feel of a warlock, even if I don't think the mechanics represented it well in the past. This new one feels...cool.

lianightdemon
2014-08-09, 01:13 PM
Unless you give us more details on how the warlock works, you are likely going to have to wait until the 19th when the books start shipping for most other places. :(

Yorrin
2014-08-09, 01:58 PM
Still waiting for my book, but since most of the class has been displayed in the internet I think I've got a good enough idea to comment.

Compared to 3.5 the 5e Warlock seems a bit more powerful when going "nova" but the true at-will powers seem less powerful.

Compare Baleful Utterance as probably the most "powerful" of the least invocations to just about anything the 5e Warlock can do. Or Fell Flight, Flee the Scene, or Walk Unseen for the next tier up. These are powerful and useful at will effects that the 5e Warlock can't mimic.

On the other hand the nova damage potential of the 5e Warlock is probably higher than 3.5 can handle (aside from an optimized Glaive-lock?), if for no other reason than actual spell slots. Also 5e Tome-locks can pick up ritual magic, which is highly useful for increasing utility, though in a different "direction" than the 3.5 Warlock, or Chain-locks can scout with their familiar, which is also useful. Blade-lock is probably the "purest" in terms of being combat-focused.

Fable Wright
2014-08-09, 04:34 PM
I feel that Warlocks finally have the power and versatility they deserve. I was only able to look at the early release copy of the book for a short time, so I don't know the power level of the invocations or the cantrips that the Book of Shadows grants, or the stats of Pseudodragons or Imps, or the abilities of the pacts. However, what I did see I liked. The Ars Arcanum means that the Warlock doesn't get completely overshadowed compared to Wizards or Sorcerers in terms of sheer power: while you can't boost spells to 9th level, you also don't give up access to Disintegrate or Foresight. I also like their ability to just spam the highest level of spell they have throughout the day and recover them with just a short rest, giving them upper-level power greater than the wizard for most of their careers, even if they can't cast spells every round. I also like the versatility that the Blade Pact provides, allowing the Warlock to swap to any kind of weapon with ease, keeping the Magic benefit of bypassing most kinds of damage resistances, in addition to the benefits of weapon proficiency (all) and the out of combat utility of weapons. (Hafted weapons that you aren't afraid of breaking and can use to bar doors, Lances to use as pole vaulting tools, using chained weapons as impromptu ropes or grappling hooks, etc.) All in all, the warlock actually feels like a viable path to ultimate arcane power now, rather than a chump given a few tricks to spam.

I also like the fact that Warlock are much better than Wizards at creating fortresses from Wall of Stone. Something like 16 casts per day at level 9 is much better than even a 20th level Wizard could hope to do.

CyberThread
2014-08-09, 04:41 PM
Unless you give us more details on how the warlock works, you are likely going to have to wait until the 19th when the books start shipping for most other places. :(

Done, hope your happy lol