PDA

View Full Version : What are some obscure things you've never seen in a real game?

RaggedAngel
2014-08-09, 01:26 PM
3.5 is stuffed to the gills with all kinds of odd, obscure rules, item types, and abilities that never really see the light of day, for better or for worse. Some of those obscure things are picked up by places like the Playground and become semi-popular; martial adepts, for example. But there are some other slices of 3.5 that I've never seen in the light of day; things like grafts, from Eberron, or Weapons of Legacy.

What are some odd abilities, classes, items, or rules that you know about, but have never seen used?

Hamste
2014-08-09, 01:30 PM
The good old Savage Species Type Pyramid. It is just so rare to actually come up in a real game.

Vaz
2014-08-09, 01:31 PM
Shadowcasting. I've seen a Truenamer, and Weapons of Legacy, but never a Shadowcaster.

Hazrond
2014-08-09, 01:32 PM
Any monster in the Tome of Magic, why do people ignore these, they are really cool you got sword legged creatures that make gigantic summoning circles, zombified giant heads with powerful oracle and mind control powers, weird lion-faced wheel creatures that cant stop moving, its a cool book but people seem to ignore it for whatever reason (unless truenaming comes up, but dont open that can of worms please.)

RaggedAngel
2014-08-09, 01:40 PM
The good old Savage Species Type Pyramid. It is just so rare to actually come up in a real game.
There are so many things in that book that are just way too busted for a real game. Like the Anthropomorphic Bat, with something like +8 to Wisdom.

Shadowcasting. I've seen a Truenamer, and Weapons of Legacy, but never a Shadowcaster.
Shadowcasting is like if someone asked "What if you were a Sorcerer, but with a really tiny spell list and fewer spells per day?"

Any monster in the Tome of Magic, why do people ignore these, they are really cool you got sword legged creatures that make gigantic summoning circles, zombified giant heads with powerful oracle and mind control powers, weird lion-faced wheel creatures that cant stop moving, its a cool book but people seem to ignore it for whatever reason (unless truenaming comes up, but dont open that can of worms please.)
I've seen a few Binder monsters, but it was in an all-Binder campaign, so it doesn't really count. And don't get me started on Truenaming. I'm halfway to Zaq when it comes to Truenaming. :smallwink: