PDA

View Full Version : Equipment packs

sentaku
2014-08-09, 09:50 PM
Looking at the equipment packs it seems that some are better then others.

The Diplomat’s and Scholar’s packs well might be good for RP but don't seem very practical as most if not all of your starting gear.

The Entertainer’s and Priest’s ’s are slight better if your playing a character that make use of that equipment but didn't take the backgrounds that give you things like a disguise kit.

The Burglar’s kit looks useful to a rouge and won't be a bad choice for most.

The Dungeoneer’s and Explorer’s packs seem the most useful overall in terms of starting gear.

hawklost
2014-08-09, 09:58 PM
I am pretty sure they designed the packs so that a person with an idea could quickly and easily get certain gear without having to look through all the equipment. You will notice that all the packs have a different gold cost to them indicating they are not remotely the same.

CyberThread
2014-08-09, 10:16 PM
Who would have thought that a diplomat is less capable then a dungenerrs pack at dungon crawling.

sentaku
2014-08-09, 10:30 PM
Except classes are restricted by packs. Well you can chose to buy your equipment with gold you loose not only the equipment pack but also any other equipment your class and background gives you. I never said that the equipment was the same, or should be the same I said that the packs have varying degrees of of how practical the are. If all the packs had a backpack, a bedroll, a tinderbox, torches, rations, a waterskin and 50 feet of hempen rope (along with the missing duct tape) they all be much better.

Who would have thought that a diplomat is less capable then a dungenerrs pack at dungon crawling.
Could you point me to what page the Diplomat class is on? Even if you were playing role playing diplomat , you would still have food and something to sleep in.

rlc
2014-08-09, 10:40 PM
same page as the dungeoneer class

da_chicken
2014-08-09, 10:49 PM
Dungeoneer’s and explorer’s packs are only useful if you plan to be spending time in the open wilderness or a dungeon (unsurprisingly). If you know your campaign is going to be spending a lot of time in a city, the equipment either of those packs is nearly worthless. If you're not leaving town, walking around with full dungeoneer's or explorer's kit makes you look mildly insane.

akaddk
2014-08-10, 01:37 AM
Except classes are restricted by packs.

Sigh.

Seriously, what is it with people like this?

rlc
2014-08-10, 03:44 AM
huh. i missed that. it actually says right in the basic (so i'm assuming it does in phb, too) that you're not restricted by packs. you'll just want to take them because they're sometimes cheaper than buying things individually.

TheOOB
2014-08-10, 05:04 AM
Packs are a tool for people who want to get the appropriate gear for their character quickly and move on instead of buying items one by one. That's pretty much the long and short of it. You might save a little bit of money, but in most games getting a slightly better value a lantern just doesn't matter.

EternalHobbyist
2014-08-10, 07:16 AM
Packs are just the Value Meals. Quick and easy, not a requirement being forced on anyone. And, you start with some gold as well with which to supplement your packs.