PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help with undead Nymph

Thurbane
2014-08-09, 10:08 PM
Hey all,

So, I need some help with an NPC/monster build.

I want to make an undead Nymph, and advance her Druid casting a couple of levels.

I was going to give her the Gravetouched Ghoul template (Libris Mortis p.103), but then I noticed "Base creature’s alignment changes to chaotic evil". This would bar her from taking any more Druid levels to advance her innate casting, since a Druid needs to be partially neutral.

Any workarounds for this, or other undead template I should consider? I'm trying to avoid Vampire, since I want her to be active in daylight (you can't have Vampire on a Fey anyways). Necropolitan seems a little bland.

I supposed I could always DM fiat the alignment to Neutral Evil...

Cheers - T

Snowbluff
2014-08-09, 10:11 PM
You could go Wight. Savage Species has the template.

Also, I'd be very... "scared" by something with looks like that and an evil alignment.

You can either take a PrC to advance the casting and/or be a blighter.

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 10:14 PM
Apply Gravetouched Ghoul. She becomes CE. Being an intelligent undead, she can change alignment. She become NE. She continues levelling druid.

Thurbane
2014-08-10, 02:08 AM
You could go Wight. Savage Species has the template.

Also, I'd be very... "scared" by something with looks like that and an evil alignment.

You can either take a PrC to advance the casting and/or be a blighter.

I'll have a look at Wight.

I don't believe PrCs can advance innate casting unless you have at least 1 actual class level for the class in question.

Apply Gravetouched Ghoul. She becomes CE. Being an intelligent undead, she can change alignment. She become NE. She continues levelling druid.

Yeah, I guess this is what I'm leaning towards.

Ivanhoe
2014-08-10, 03:45 AM
You may wish to consider the ghost template. It has high CR and LA, though, so it depends on the level of your group.
Still, there is probably nothing more stylish than a TPK due to blinding beauty and horrific appearance at the same time ...

PraxisVetli
2014-08-10, 10:47 AM
Ghostwalk has the Mumia, which is basically a mummy template that fits on anything.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-10, 11:04 AM
Just give her prestige class levels that advance spellcasting instead of Druid levels.

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-08-10, 11:45 AM
Just don't play with alignment restrictions.
Alignments do nothing to make the game any more enjoyable in any way whatsoever. It is just baffling to me that they are still around as mechanic in the first place.

Jack_Simth
2014-08-10, 12:45 PM
Just give her prestige class levels that advance spellcasting instead of Druid levels.
Definitely one way to do it. Downside is that the Nymph qualifies for very little out of the box (no Spellcraft or Knowledge skills).

Edit: Let's see... Ah, Ruathar (Races of the Wild) makes a good stepping-stone (and is very thematic for a Nymph). It's a three level PrC that gives full casting advancement, and gives both Spellcraft and all Knowledge Skills, but doesn't require any specific skills or feats. That can be easily leveraged into another full advancement PrC, such as Loremaster, fairly readily.

JusticeZero
2014-08-10, 01:19 PM
Alignments do nothing to make the game any more enjoyable in any way whatsoever.
They aren't so bad if you quit trying to decide what "should" be what and treat it as an abusable mechanic burned into the physics of the universe.

Eonas
2014-08-10, 01:27 PM
Why not just a Vampire? No alignment change, IIRC, and the flavor rocks!

Vhaidara
2014-08-10, 01:29 PM
Why not just a Vampire? No alignment change, IIRC, and the flavor rocks!

Still flips to evil, and it was addressed that the OP wants her to be able to walk around in the sun.

Eonas
2014-08-10, 01:31 PM
Still flips to evil, and it was addressed that the OP wants her to be able to walk around in the sun.

Oh, I missed that and I missed that. Excuse me.

*fades out of thread*

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-10, 01:42 PM
Depending on how many levels you want to give her, Druid casting can get you into Walker in the Waste for the Dry Lich template.

Werephilosopher
2014-08-10, 07:39 PM
Strangely, the sample Gravetouched Ghoul is Neutral. Doubly strange considering its a monk. :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2014-08-10, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have a look into Ghost and Mumia. :smallsmile:

I'm pretty sure prestige classes don't advance innate casting. You have to have a least 1 level of an actual spellcasting class to advance first.

Just don't play with alignment restrictions.
Alignments do nothing to make the game any more enjoyable in any way whatsoever. It is just baffling to me that they are still around as mechanic in the first place.

I do get that point of view, however alignments are here to stay in my games.

Depending on how many levels you want to give her, Druid casting can get you into Walker in the Waste for the Dry Lich template.

Good thought, but a little too high a level for what I had in mind.

Strangely, the sample Gravetouched Ghoul is Neutral. Doubly strange considering its a monk. :smallconfused:

WotC has a long and glorious history of messing up stat blocks for sample monsters/NPCs - sample prestige class character that don't qualify are quite abundant.