PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] About EL - with Enviromental Hazards and Random Encounters.

Fenryr
2014-08-10, 12:12 AM
Hello for hi!

I am running a campaign (Clash of the Kingslayers from Pathfinder) and a random encounter was a Storm of Vengeance CL 17. According to the fluff it was somewhat made by Torag, chief god of the dwarves. Point is that the party suffered a lot and used a couple of resources (maneuvers, spells, Lay of Hands and Channel Energy) to survive. According to the campaign, it's a EL -. That's it, no CR or EL given.

RAW no XP is given. But it was pretty harsh and two of 'em almost died. Should I award XP? A CR equal to the EL of the party?

Opinions?

toapat
2014-08-10, 12:17 AM
well, if 2 of them nearly died thats CR +2 i believe

Psyren
2014-08-10, 02:02 AM
Which RAW would that be? In Pathfinder at least, that would definitely be worth XP. CRB 397:

The heart of any adventure is its encounters. An encounter is any event that puts a specific problem before the PCs that they must solve. Most encounters present combat with monsters or hostile NPCs, but there are many other types—a trapped corridor, a political interaction with a suspicious king, a dangerous passage over a rickety rope bridge, an awkward argument with a friendly NPC who suspects a PC has betrayed him, or anything that adds drama to the game.

"Survive a magical storm" is most definitely an encounter.

Fenryr
2014-08-10, 04:28 AM
Which RAW would that be? In Pathfinder at least, that would definitely be worth XP. CRB 397:

"Survive a magical storm" is most definitely an encounter.

RAW from PF.

Ok then, what would be appropiate? CR 8, 10? 'm not even quite sure myself. The party is average levle 9.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 09:32 AM
RAW from PF.

Ok then, what would be appropiate? CR 8, 10? 'm not even quite sure myself. The party is average levle 9.

There's a table on that page to help you calculate CR by estimating the challenge posed to the group by the encounter: Easy, Average, Challenging, Hard, Epic. From your description it sounds like it was either Challenging or Hard. From there, there is a table on the next page to help you figure out what the XP reward should be based on your players' party size and go from there.

Fenryr
2014-08-10, 11:10 AM
Kk, thanks a lot. Cheers!