PDA

View Full Version : 5e Barbaran: The Basics

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 01:16 AM
Hi, I am your local thread creator today and have taken up the mantle of doing the very basics and skeleton for the Barbarian Class, to help show off a bit of what mechanics are at play for the class.

Barbarian

The Starting Basics

The Barbarian runs a d12 HD per level , Medium armor + marital weapon proficiency, with strength and constitution saving throws.
It also benefits from having two choices for skills out of a list of animal handling , athletics, intimidation, nature, perception , survival.

Class Features

Rage: Rages per long rest are listed on the class table, Whiling raging you gain these pros/cons . Advantage on strength checks and saving throws. Bonus on melee attacks, resistance to bludgeon and slashing damage type.

No spells while raging.

Unarmored Defense : AC 10 + dex+con, you can use shields.

Reckless Attack: On the first attack of your first turn you can use this option to gain advatage on melee attack rolls , but attack rolls against you gain advantage the next turn.

Danger Sense: On dexterity saving throws against, spells and traps you gain advatage.

Primal Path: Chose your subclass

Extra Attack: Hit twice instead of once

Fast Movement: Zoom Zoom +10

Feral Instinct : Advantage on Initiative rolls , act normally on surprise round if you rage.

Brutal Critical: Roll an additional weapon damage die on crits , goes up as you level

Relentless Rage : While raging if you drop to 0, make a con DC check if successful drop to 1 instead of 0 HP. DC goes up on each use of the ability by 5, resets back to 10 after a short or long rest.

Persistent Rage : Rage ends only when you pass out or chose to end it

Indomitable Might: Unsure....Confusing

Primal Champion : STR and CON increase by +4 , break the rules allows scroes to go to 24 (Creates precedent to bend 20 stat rules)

Sub-Classes

Now the Major Sub Class decisions: Primal Paths

You gain access to theses at level 3, and each of the two gain very different play styles. The choices you have are , Beserker and the Totem WArrior

The Beserker

Frenzy: During Rage, make a single melee attack during bonus action , per turn while in rage. Suffer one level of exustion at the end of the rage.

Mindless Rage: Charmed or Frightenied effects are suspended while in a rage.

Intimidating Presence: Frighten someone by yelling

Retaliation : If someone hits you with a melee weapon , you can hit them back as your reaction.

The Totem Warrior:

Spirit Seeker: Gain beast sense and speak with animals as ritual spells.

Totem Spirit: Gain stuff under three different choices. Each animal can be chosen differently , you are not stuck with the same animal under different abilties.

Bear: During a rage, gain resistance against all damage types except psychic.

Eagle: While not wearing heavy armor , and raging, anyone that attacks you during opportunity has disadvantage , and can use dash option as bonus action.

Wolf: While ragining team mates have advatage on melee attacks against targest that are within 5 feet of you.

Aspect of the beast:

Bear: Doubled carrying capacity , advatage when breaking things.

Eagle: See items up to a mile away , see fine detail up to 100 ft , dim light immunity on disadvatage checks of perception checks.

Wolf: Track targets moving at a face pace, move stealthily at normal pace.

Spirit Walker: commune with nature as a ritual.

Totemic Attuenment :

Bear : While Raging, creatures within range have disadvantage if they attack anyone but you.

Eagle: While raging gain flying speed equal to walking speed, fall to the ground if you do not land by the end of your turn.

Wolf: While raging use bonus action to knock a large or smaller creature prone while making a melee attack.

Envyus
2014-08-10, 01:39 AM
On this "Bear : While Raging, creatures within range have disadvantage if they attack anyone but you. "

What is the range.

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 01:48 AM
On this "Bear : While Raging, creatures within range have disadvantage if they attack anyone but you. "

What is the range.

Melee Range , 5ft or 10ft depending on what weapon they are using.

Lokiare
2014-08-10, 08:11 PM
If the barbarian takes 2 feats they have a 97.75% chance to make their DC 10 con check, higher since they probably actually have points in Con mod. So they are now officially more survivable than a fighter.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-10, 09:24 PM
If the barbarian takes 2 feats they have a 97.75% chance to make their DC 10 con check, higher since they probably actually have points in Con mod. So they are now officially more survivable than a fighter.

Yup. That plus their ability to get 24 strength and con make them epic. They also can gain resistance to ALL damage types (save psychic) so IMO they're more survivable than a fighter even without taking feats to trick out their con save.

Sartharina
2014-08-10, 09:27 PM
Unarmored Defense : AC 10 + dex+con, you can use shields.I can't find words to describe my feelings now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c)

Anyway... I am totally going to have to play an Eagle Barbarian :smallbiggrin:
Alas, they don't get regeneration in Rage anymore. I was really hoping they'd get "HP recovery on Kill" as a mechanic, so they can wade through mooks.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-10, 09:30 PM
I can't find words to describe my feelings now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c)

Anyway... I am totally going to have to play an Eagle Barbarian :smallbiggrin:
Alas, they don't get regeneration in Rage anymore. I was really hoping they'd get "HP recovery on Kill" as a mechanic, so they can wade through mooks.

Did you see the Bracers of Defense? +3 AC if you don't use armor or shields. Seems made for barbarian.

Sartharina
2014-08-10, 09:32 PM
Did you see the Bracers of Defense? +3 AC if you don't use armor or shields. Seems made for barbarian.

I shall wear nothing but bracers of awesome, and a fabulous smile!

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 09:39 PM
How about a ring of.... force...