PDA

View Full Version : 5e Wizard SubClasses: The Basics (WIP)

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 01:47 AM
Hi, as the Wizard is a rather large strength due to spell choices, I am going to be avoiding all of that, and merely focus on the sub schools. So here we go ( This is a work in progress, I started this late and heading to bed, I have 4 more schools to go through ).

THE WIZARD SUB CLASSES

Abjuration

Abjur Savant:Half the cost of adding spells of abjuration

Arcane Ward: When cast abjuration spells gain temp hp

Projected Ward: Have ward protect others you see.

Improved abjuration : When casting abjuration spells add proficiency bonus to ability checks.

Spell Resistance: Advantage against saving throws against spells, gain resistance damage of spells.

Conjuration:

Conjuration Savant: Conjuration Spells are at half Cost

Minor Conjuration: At will creating inanimate object, goes poof when takes damage or 1 hour passes

Benign Transposition: Teleport to a space 30 ft that is unoccupied or switch spaces with a willing creature, used once per long rest, or after each use of a Conjuration spell.

Focused Conjuration: Concentration on a Conjuration spell cannot be broken by damage.

Durable Summon : Summons have an extra 30 HP

Divination :

Divination Savant : Half price spells to book

Portent: Roll 2d20's each roll can be used to replace a d20 roll before the next long rest.

Expert Divination : When cast a Divination spell you gain a lower level slot .

The Third Eye: Gain one of these benefits until your next short/long rest.

Darkvision , Etheral Sight,read any language, or see invisibility

Greater Potent: 3d20's

Enchantment:

Savant : Half price adding Enchantment spells to your book

Hypnotic Gaze: Charm a creature 5ft from you, must stay within 5ft to maintain effect. Creature is incapacitated and dazed, effect ends if take damage or chose to end it.

Instinctive Charm: Creatures within 30 ft attack you, you can attempt to divert the attack to attack another creature within range. On a successful save can not be used on the same target until a long rest.

Split Enchantment: Enchantment spells can target two creatures instead of just one.

Alter Memories : While charmed by a Enchantment spell, you can make the target forget what it did while it was charmed, and remain unaware that it had been charmed.

Evocation

Savant: Add Evocation spells at half price.

Sculpt Spells: Create safe zones within a Evocation spell

Potent Cantrip: Even if gain saving throw, target takes half damage.

Empowered Evocation: Add Int; too Evocation spell damage rolls

Over Channel: 5th level and lower Evocation spells do maximum damage, if use feature a second time take 2d12 damage, if use it again before a short/long rest do 1d12 per spell level. Effect ignores resistance and immunities.

Necromancy

Savant: Half priced add Necromancy spells to book

Grim Harvest: Gain HP on a spell that kills a target double of its level or triple if Necromancy school.

Undead Thralls: Add Animate Dead to Spells Known, target an additional area to create undead, creation has increased hit points and adds wizards proficiency bonus on damage rolls.

Inured to Undeath: Gain Resistance to necrotic damage. HP Maximum can't be reduced.

Command Undead: Attempt to control undead created by others or feral undead.

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 02:06 AM
If you would like to save me some time while I sleep, and post a sub school or two;and I will format and add it to the list. Please remember to not add what level you gain the ability, or cut and paste of the words, break them down into minimal detail to a understanding of what it does.

akaddk
2014-08-10, 02:46 AM
If you would like to save me some time while I sleep, and post a sub school or two;and I will format and add it to the list. Please remember to not add what level you gain the ability, or cut and paste of the words, break them down into minimal detail to a understanding of what it does.

Alternatively, PM me a pic of the pages :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 03:04 AM
hopefully deleted

delete that..

akaddk
2014-08-10, 03:43 AM
delete that..

You're funny.

Falka
2014-08-10, 06:08 AM
Question - does the PHB mention anywhere if there's a limit of spells that you can inscribe in a spellbook? I haven't seen it in the Wizard class section.

Kurald Galain
2014-08-10, 06:41 AM
So to be clear, the five abilities you list per subclass are spread out over 20 levels, yes? I'd imagine that the last ability is something you get at level 19 or 20 or so.

1of3
2014-08-10, 06:43 AM
You can download the basic rules. The Wizard base is in there.

EternalHobbyist
2014-08-10, 07:22 AM
So to be clear, the five abilities you list per subclass are spread out over 20 levels, yes? I'd imagine that the last ability is something you get at level 19 or 20 or so.

Looks like each subclass gets a few special traits focused on that school, topping out at 14th level. Then later traits are generic to the Wizard class.

Question - does the PHB mention anywhere if there's a limit of spells that you can inscribe in a spellbook? I haven't seen it in the Wizard class section.

There is a sidebar in the Wizard section about the spellbook, but nothing I've seen there or in the Spellcasting section seems to indicate any such a limit, I assume that it is as big or small as the player wants it to be.

ETA:

School of Evocation - Da Evokinator ...?

Savant : Half price adding Evocation spells to your book

Sculpt Spells: Choose a number of creatures within the effect of your Evocation spell to automatically succeed on their saving throw and take no damage as a result.

Potent Cantrip: Cantrips deal 1/2 damage on creatures who succeed the saving throw instead of 0 damage.

Emowered Evocation: Add +Int modifier to damage on Evocation spells.

Overchannel: Automatically deal max damage with a Wizard spell of 5th lvl or less. Can use more than once daily at the risk of taking serious necrotic damage.

omniknight
2014-08-10, 10:57 AM
Could you post the current information on the Necromancy and Transmuter sub-classes, please? Those are the ones in most need of adjustment to prevent abuse, so I am curious how they ended up in the official PHB.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-10, 11:11 AM
These all seem really strong and fun to play. Bravo.

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 12:03 PM
Added Necromancy and Evocation

Yorrin
2014-08-10, 01:05 PM
I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed with most of the Wizard schools, which is disappointing. Conjuration stands out as the only one I'd probably want to play, which is sad, since I enjoyed a good necromancer in previous editions. I'll have to wait for Death Clerics to see if that's the way to go again in this edition.

zorb25
2014-08-10, 02:31 PM
I will say that these confirm my suspicion of quantity over quality when it came to designing wizard subclasses. They go for the more obvious stuff and mostly mechanical advantage-bonuses and feel incredibly bland. It is not , now you are now summoner, Necromancer and so on it is just you are better at casting those spells.

pwykersotz
2014-08-10, 02:51 PM
I will say that these confirm my suspicion of quantity over quality when it came to designing wizard subclasses. They go for the more obvious stuff and mostly mechanical advantage-bonuses and feel incredibly bland. It is not , now you are now summoner, Necromancer and so on it is just you are better at casting those spells.

Alas, I agree. It will probably be one of my early projects to create more flavorful interactions with the schools. Plus side - I love to tinker. Negative side - This wasn't in the rules already.

Cibulan
2014-08-10, 03:00 PM
I guess I'm just easily pleased but I've found the fighter and wizard sub-classes plenty interesting. I like what each school is going for. My reading of the intention is that they're meant to make those wizards slightly better at those schools and not to give them a lot of unique abilities. My metaphor would be that they are all PHD historians, each specializing in a different place/period. They all have a good grasp of history in general (no prohibited schools) but they shine in their specialties. I like this approach considering that wizards are the "bookish" arcane class; leaving the more crazy/unique powers to the sorcerer and warlock.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-10, 03:54 PM
I think they're plenty interesting and flavorful. Getting undead thralls? Reaping hitpoints from the people you slay with necromancy? Using your knowledge of the future to "see" good and bad rolls, and then being able to pull them out when you really need them - all are awesome.

Gaining advantage on all your saves vs. magic is awesome, strong, and flavorful for an abjurer. Free teleports and transpositions sound awesome and really in flavor with conjuration. Gaining different magical senses on demand every short rest is a great divination trick, too. Pretty much every sublcass has something to love, even boring old evocation. If what you want is to blast the hell out of the enemy, this gives you that in spades with overchannel and giant cantrips.

Keep in mind this is all in supplement to full arcane casting up to 9th level, and ritual casting (which many already are worried will be overpowered in a class-feature-less vacuum).

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 04:04 PM
Am going to agree, this is the strongest class, they do have to becareful on how much they can give them.

Yakk
2014-08-13, 02:44 PM
So, the diviner's 2d20 can be used to replace other people's rolls?

Roll a 1, and you can force a failed save on any spell.

Roll a 20, and when the goat turns, red strikes true.