PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How do I keep Maugs from getting petrified?

2014-08-10, 01:51 AM
The question is pretty simple; Maugs live on the "stoney-turney" layer of Acheron, and I need to figure out how they can stay on that layer without becoming a bit more of a construct than they would probably like.

EDIT: Maugs are in the Fiend Folio, yes.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 01:58 AM
As natives, wouldn't they be immune to the harmful effects of the plane, or at least of that layer?

(When you ask for help with a non-core monster in future it's helpful to say what book they are from. I found Maugs in Fiend Folio but I'm uncertain if that is the latest version.)

Chronos
2014-08-10, 07:15 AM
Does the petrification offer a Fort save? If so, then maugs are immune by virtue of lacking Constitution.

Thurbane
2014-08-10, 07:38 AM
Does the petrification offer a Fort save? If so, then maugs are immune by virtue of lacking Constitution.

I was going to agree with this, but the planar trait of petrification particular to Thuldanin also affect objects.

Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).

However, it is only a 1% chance every 30 days, so it shouldn't be a major issue...

Enough levels in Binder to bind Haagenti will give you immunity to petrification, as will a few other sources.

The Ruby Cincture of Immutability (MIC p. 131) also grants immunity to petrification, but at 12,000gp, is pretty expensive!