PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to greater dispel magic

molten_dragon
2014-08-10, 08:24 AM
What are some other spells I can dispel with that grant up to +20 to the check but aren't greater dispel magic? I'm trying to get around something like spell immunity or a spellblade.

Any level is fine.

Karnith
2014-08-10, 08:58 AM
Reaving Dispel (SpC) has the same +20 limit as Greater Dispel Magic, and also has the reaving effect. Chain Dispel (PHBII) gets up to +25, but only functions as a targeted dispel.

TheMooch
2014-08-10, 09:42 AM
What are some other spells I can dispel with that grant up to +20 to the check but aren't greater dispel magic? I'm trying to get around something like spell immunity or a spellblade.

Any level is fine.

disjunction

StreamOfTheSky
2014-08-10, 09:58 AM
If it's Spell Immunity you're worried about, you could just Greater Dispel on the Spell Immunity itself. Should still work. Granted, he could keep putting it back up and then you keep dispelling it....

The psionic version of dispel can just plain be augmented up to +20 and would work unless the enemy thought to name that one to be immune to, too.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 10:25 AM
Similar to Stream's suggestion, you can target the spellblade itself first to suppress it. Spellblades protect their wielder but not themselves.

The psionic version of dispel can just plain be augmented up to +20 and would work unless the enemy thought to name that one to be immune to, too.

I would say however that this trick won't work because if transparency applies to letting psionic dispel work on spells, then that sword cuts both ways - "dispel psionics" will be treated as "dispel magic" by spells and items too.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-10, 11:00 AM
Spell Immunity only works against spells that are affected by SR (which Dispel is not).
Against Spellblade there's only the ones Karnith already mentioned. There's a bunch of others but most are limited at +10.

The problem with "target the Spellblade" is that you usually only learn your enemy has it when it's already absorbed your dispel - and sending it right back at you for free, adding insult to injury.
That's why it's so good.
One possible method is to use chained dispels (or Chain Dispel) and routinely target the weapon first but that's not foolproof either due to things like Necklace of Natural Attacks, Bootblades and similar things.
Another is to stack various boni from things like Dispelling Chord (MIC), Inquisition Domain (CD), Arcane Mastery (CA) and similar stuff to beef up your lower level dispels until they're strong enough to dispel high CL spells. Reserves of Strength is also an option if your DM allows it.
Or you could go IotSV and use Kaleidoscopic Doom.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 11:08 AM
The problem with "target the Spellblade" is that you usually only learn your enemy has it when it's already absorbed your dispel - and sending it right back at you for free, adding insult to injury.
That's why it's so good.

Oh it's certainly good, I'm not denying that. But once you do find that out, you still have to deal with the spellblade and this is one way.

I would say this is a good reason to Analyze Dweomer high-level opponents in Faerun.