PDA

View Full Version : Hunter: am I missing something?

Kurald Galain
2014-08-10, 10:14 AM
So looking over the last playtest version of the ACG's Hunter, it appears to be a Druid who, instead of shapeshift, gets a bunch of teamwork feats, "animal focus" bonuses, and diminished spellcasting. And I get the impression that both teamwork feats and those animal focus bonuses are rather lacklustre.

Now I would like to play a hunter instead of a straight druid, but at this point I'm not sure what the point is. Please tell me if I'm overlooking something?

Yanisa
2014-08-10, 10:24 AM
Nope, even the released version fails in making the class sound as its own. The most interesting part is that it's a spontaneous caster, which is pretty unique among the nature themed divine casters. Beyond that it's pretty meh.

Edit: I remembered there was one archetype everyone was excited about, called Feral Hunter. The blog promised us shape shifting, and that is what it does, basically making it like the wildshape ranger from 3.5. It still is a weaker druid, but it gains full wildshape (except plant and elemental) and extra summons when using nature's ally. It's for when you want to be a druid, but don't want to be tier 1 destructive.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 10:28 AM
For you, there is no point; feel free to skip the book.

squiggit
2014-08-10, 10:30 AM
You could look at it the other way: It's a ranger who trades their combat focus for 6th level casting and the animal stuff. Suddenly sounds much cooler.

Skip a whole book because of one or two bad options?

Kurald Galain
2014-08-10, 10:33 AM
Wait, released version? I thought the book wasn't out yet?

And good point on it being spontaneous, I had missed that and I suppose it qualifies as a niche. Some players really like spont casters, although I prefer prep casters myself.

I have no idea what I've done to you to warrant such a hostile response.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 10:36 AM

Subscribers are apparently getting their PDFs.

Skip a whole book because of one or two bad options?

This isn't the first nor even the second class he's complained about from ACG so I gave my purely honest recommendation. No hostility intended at all.

Slithery D
2014-08-10, 10:37 AM

Apparently subscribers are already getting the PDFs. Edit: Doh!

Kurald Galain
2014-08-10, 10:42 AM
Apparently subscribers are already getting the PDFs. Edit: Doh!

That's good to know. Maybe we should have a Q&A thread :smalltongue:

squiggit
2014-08-10, 10:45 AM

there's a "Kneejerk reactions" and a few other threads over on the paizo forums.

Lots of grumbling about Slashing Grace: A dex to damage feat that doesn't work with finessable weapons.

Yanisa
2014-08-10, 10:54 AM

I am already Ruler of the PF Q&A, if there is anything you want to know, I need more excuses to read the book. :smalltongue:

Kurald Galain
2014-08-10, 11:12 AM
there's a "Kneejerk reactions" and a few other threads over on the paizo forums.
I found this one (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rctc?Kneejerk-reactions-from-the-Advanced-Class-Guide), if you know any others please share the link.

I am already Ruler of the PF Q&A, if there is anything you want to know, I need more excuses to read the book. :smalltongue:
Thank you! I'll ask in the Q&A thread, then.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-08-10, 12:11 PM

Lots of grumbling about Slashing Grace: A dex to damage feat that doesn't work with finessable weapons.

wait.... what? I mean.... honestly? Who could ever thought that?

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-10, 12:15 PM
Now I would like to play a hunter instead of a straight druid, but at this point I'm not sure what the point is. Please tell me if I'm overlooking something?

Everyone's nickname for the Hunter during the playtest was "The Official Druid Fix." That seems to be it, really.

Diachronos
2014-08-10, 12:28 PM
The main difference I see between the Hunter and Druids/Rangers is that the animal companion is an actual feature of the class, rather than just being an "oh, and I guess you can have this too" ability.

It's not inherently stronger than a Druid's animal companion, but the Hunter's Animal Focus ability is shared with the companion, and from level 3 onward their companion automatically gains whatever teamwork feats the hunter has. Plus you count as having Precise Shot when attacking something your companion is in melee with, so that's a nice bonus.

Yanisa
2014-08-10, 12:28 PM
wait.... what? I mean.... honestly? Who could ever thought that?

It's a feat which intend is solely to broaden weapon selection of the Swashbuckler (people weren't happy with the piercing weapons only of the playtest). The fact there isn't a real swashbuckler prerequisite might have been a nice gesture, but basically is just rubbing salt in wounds. It doesn't even work as alternative to Dervish Dance because Dervish needs less feats.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-08-10, 12:34 PM
Damn it Paizo how could you have messed up something like that.

squiggit
2014-08-10, 12:58 PM
It's a feat which intend is solely to broaden weapon selection of the Swashbuckler (people weren't happy with the piercing weapons only of the playtest). The fact there isn't a real swashbuckler prerequisite might have been a nice gesture, but basically is just rubbing salt in wounds. It doesn't even work as alternative to Dervish Dance because Dervish needs less feats.

Yeah I get that the swashbuckler expands his list but dex to damage that doesn't work on light weapons still feels.. Dickish.

Doubly so when you look at the threads on it and most people seem to have decided that swash 1/magus 19 with a falcata or kapenia dancer 20 are gonna get the most mileage out of it.

Rather than the classes who already sucks and could actually benefit from something to make them less mad

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-10, 01:02 PM
Damn it Paizo how could you have messed up something like that.

To be fair, on the paizo boards the number of people who wanted a general dex-to-damage option were way, waaaaaay outvoiced by the number of people who thought that trading a feat for a little extra stat synergy was tippy-level shenanigans or something. The fanbase is getting what it wants, for better or worse. There's always Path of War or homebrew, unless you're playing Society. And if you're playing Society games, god help you.

jaydubs
2014-08-10, 01:36 PM
And if you're playing Society games, god help you.

I've never played in PFS. What's the problem with them?