PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant

Baalzebub
2007-03-05, 01:19 PM
Anyone plays this game? 'cause I'd like to hear any opinions about this Action RPG, wether if it is the original (WW system) or in d20 system.:smallsmile:

Tengu
2007-03-05, 01:27 PM
Wrong forum. Gaming (d20 and General RPG) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) is also about PNP RPGs other than DND, even though 99% of posts there refer to DND.

Baalzebub
2007-03-05, 01:29 PM
mmm ok! can someone move this thread??

Selrahc
2007-03-05, 01:51 PM
Played Aberrant(White Wolf version) through an adventure with my group. Rocked pretty good.

My Nova was all about being completely invulnerable... mega stamina and forcefields and armour... without anything else except for a sharp mind(One dot of mega intelligence, one dot of mega wits)

Fun game. Pity it got killed.

Baalzebub
2007-03-05, 02:41 PM
Played Aberrant(White Wolf version) through an adventure with my group. Rocked pretty good.

My Nova was all about being completely invulnerable... mega stamina and forcefields and armour... without anything else except for a sharp mind(One dot of mega intelligence, one dot of mega wits)

Fun game. Pity it got killed.

How did you got killed??? :smalleek:

talsine
2007-03-05, 02:59 PM
its no longer being supported by White Wolf, the origonal creator released some stuff through his website, but its basicaly a dead game. Its the second of three games (Trinity/Aeon, Abberrant, Adventure) and is my favorite of the 3. its a great game, at least the WW version, never played the d20 version and i can't imagine it would be any good

Baalzebub
2007-03-05, 09:59 PM
its no longer being supported by White Wolf, the origonal creator released some stuff through his website, but its basicaly a dead game. Its the second of three games (Trinity/Aeon, Abberrant, Adventure) and is my favorite of the 3. its a great game, at least the WW version, never played the d20 version and i can't imagine it would be any good

Believe me, it's better the original ww version, the d20 version simply stinks. No offense, but the d20 system and the Aberrant concept simply does not match.

Yeah, I know it's a dead game, but it's fun as hell everytime i play it.:smallbiggrin:

Jerthanis
2007-03-06, 02:01 AM
One of my only problems with the game was the extreme lethality that was inconsistent with comic books in my mind. Novas, if they didn't have mega stamina and invulnerability powers, when hit by a person with Super Strength or a halfway decent Quantum Blast would be paste without having to roll. The way SS and Quantum Bolt worked (if we were interpreting it correctly, which I'm fairly sure we were) was that they provided a bunch of extra successes to damage above and beyond the damage the attack would do normally (Eg. getting hit by a truck flung by a SS guy would do something rediculous like damage of a truck + extra successes + Strength score + super strength autosuccesses) while Mega stamina and invulnerability powers simply added to your soak pools, which wasn't as valuable as autosuccesses. So when I made my teleporting immobilizer with shadow themed powers, I gave it a force field power and still our party member with only Mega strength 2 could crack my force field and knock me out in a single punch if I rolled well. I can only imagine what Mega strength 4 or 5 characters, or characters with high Quantum lobbing Quantum Bolts around could do. And even still, if I won initiative, I could pretty much immediately immobilize someone with my superpower... so basically my complaint was that combat was practically decided on the roll of initiative.

So issues of balance aside it was a really really awesome setting, with a fun, unified origin story, but with huge potential for individualist elements. It had government conspiracies, great evils, noble good guys, and plenty of wacky superscience to make it feel like a real superhero setting. If I had only one problem with the setting it was with the whole "Novas are essentially pop icons, celebrities and are well loved by all" concept when I like Spider-Man/X-men/Dark Knight Strikes Back styles of fear and hatred of superpowered individuals, regardless of how noble and self sacrificing they are. But still, I wish the game I played in didn't end so quickly, it's really awesome all round.

Baalzebub
2007-03-06, 08:01 AM
Much of the game depends upon the GM, Aberrant basically embraces the concept of supernovas like the guys in the JLA with a touch of conspiracy, much like the Cadmus project.

Oh and one thing, the extra successes from Mega Strength apply to melee attacks. He can, however use his Mega str to lift the truck and use it as a club against you, but that requires at least 3 dots in Mega str. Also, if you have at least 1 point in Mega Dex you can dodge any Q Bolt anytime with a normal Athletics or Martial Arts roll, plus any advantages you want using the dots in mega dex (like having an auto success, reduce penalty by one per dot, etc).

Again, all this depends upon the GM. If Mongul hits directly in the face to Batman, he won't kill him but will leave him unconscious. That is, IF Mongul can hit Batman with a punch.