PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Profession Master

jqavins
2014-08-10, 12:25 PM
After posting a few spells here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365648-Food-for-Thought), I've continued to ponder "How would a chef get access to spells?" So I've decided that maybe hegh level Experts ought to have spells, but only when so high in level that many, if not most, would never achieve them. Then spells are there for exceptional members of the profession. So, I present, the Profession Master.

Profession Master (An extension of the Expert)

Some people hone their crafts and excel to such a degree that the things they can do seem almost magical. But then, sometimes, it is magic. The Master of his Profession has learned the subtleties of his craft where natural and arcane forces meld, and has learned to manipulate the arcane forces to achieve the impossible.

This is an attempt to give a reasonable number of spells to high level Experts. The minimum level for spells should be determined by each DM. It is meant to represent the height of achievement for a long and successful career, i.e. the level one might expect in the last few years before retirement. There has been heated discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362541-Lifetime-Experience-(NPCs-gain-levels-over-time)&highlight=lifetime) recently regarding how rapidly ordinary people gain XP through everyday life. The minimum level for spells should represent about 40 years worth of experience after reaching adulthood, so a human practicing her profession for 40 years might expect to see her first spells. At a rate of 100 XP/year, this would be 4000 XP, which is high in 2nd level, and I would raise the requirement to 3rd level, meaning one has to be a little bit ahead of the curve to achieve spells at all. At 1000 XP/year, it would mean 40,000 XP, so the requirement should be 8th or 9th level.

Most of the rows in the table below are presented only for the sake of completeness. It is virtually impossible that an Expert will achieve more than two or three levels beyond where spells start in his lifetime. But those exceptionally rare few who do are capable of true marvels.

The DM (and player, if any) of the Master must devise a spell list for each profession.

The Master casts 0 level spells spontaneously, but must prepare spells of level one and higher. Preparation is done by meditating over some sort of plans relevant to the profession, e.g. blueprints for a builder, recipes for a chef, etc. Spells of level 3 and higher must be prepared to be cast for a particular purpose, and must be prepared using plans for that purpose.

Requirements
Expert level as described above
Maximum ranks in a craft, perform, or knowledge skill based on the minimum level
Maximum ranks in the corresponding profession skill based on the minimum level

Levels Beyond Minimum

Spells per Day

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

13+