PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Eldritch Knight...divine variant?

ZeshinX
2014-08-10, 12:50 PM
Yes, I know the Paladin instantly comes to mind as the solution to the subject. I don't have the PHB yet and wanted to see if those who do have access to it would find this generally a poor approach, best served by a Paladin, or if there might be some merit in trying it (or even if you think WotC might do something similar in a splat book).

I'm visualizing a more meditant warrior, where spirituality/faith combine with combat. Not so much in the generally knightly approach Paladins are often viewed with (and yes, a little role-play could easily have the Paladin fulfill the role of meditant warrior, perhaps the Monk even more so). I'm thinking of classes past (like Sohei from Oriental Adventures, Crusader from the 2e Forgotten Realms Faiths and Avatars, and their ilk).

Not to be a better Fighter, Cleric or Paladin, or just mixing abilities, but with abilities all their own (much like the Eldritch Knight from what I've seen posted here so far).

I'm looking for opinions, so tear it apart, meh it, or love it up or anything in between. This is an exercise in curiosity for me until I can get my PHB (hurry yourself up Amazon!).

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 01:04 PM
In my mind paladin just does a better job. I think eldritch knight comes online toc late and slow compared too paladin and ranger options.

Madfellow
2014-08-10, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think there's anything to be done there that isn't already being done by the paladin, in terms of mechanics or flavor. You'd basically be trading spell progression for feat progression, which you can get anyway by multiclassing.

ArqArturo
2014-08-10, 03:23 PM
When I see the EK, I'm thinking of Pathfinder's Magus (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcasters/magus.html), attacking with both magic and steel in the same round.

Envyus
2014-08-10, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I don't think there's anything to be done there that isn't already being done by the paladin, in terms of mechanics or flavor. You'd basically be trading spell progression for feat progression, which you can get anyway by multiclassing.

Actually in that case you won't. Multi classing slows down ability score gains. Plus I don't think the Paladin can cast while attacking like the fighter can. Though the Pally is still really cool and I would rank it's magic power above the Eldrich Knight. But The Eldrich Knight is more flighty focused anyway.