PDA

View Full Version : Ever ran/played in an Avatar:TLA d20 game?

Trilby
2014-08-10, 03:03 PM
I'm hoping to run this system soon (either via PbP, or if that doesn't work out, I'll proposition my weekly group). I read through some of the development hub on this forum, and I see it getting recommended a lot.

So, playground, have you tried it? What was it like for you? Likes/dislikes? Tell me, I want to know what I'm getting in to :smallbiggrin:.

PraxisVetli
2014-08-10, 08:44 PM
In b4 Wu Jen

Immabozo
2014-08-10, 08:55 PM
I'm hoping to run this system soon (either via PbP, or if that doesn't work out, I'll proposition my weekly group). I read through some of the development hub on this forum, and I see it getting recommended a lot.

So, playground, have you tried it? What was it like for you? Likes/dislikes? Tell me, I want to know what I'm getting in to :smallbiggrin:.

This is the "D&D 3e/3.5e/d20," as this is not a related question, it does not belong in this forum

Gemini476
2014-08-10, 09:02 PM
In b4 Wu Jen
Personally I was more imagining the Swordsage with some more elementally-themed homebrew disciplines - the abilities of the characters in Avatar and Korra are kind of like the magic in Harry Potter, in that it's pretty much at-will. Except it's also strongly tied to martial arts, which makes initiators more thematically appropriate.

Maybe something like the Arcane Swordsage? I dunno.

For fitting disciplines, I seem to remember some decent elemental ones before - the Nine Lesser Schools had water and air, IIRC, and I think I remember some remix of Stone Dragon focused on Earth. Fire could just be Desert Wind, but I think I remember some others as well?
Maybe you could have a few disciplines running off of each element. That would be cool. For class features, giving some cantrip-esque ability to control your element would also be fitting.

(Also, the Wu Jen runs off of the Earth/Fire/Metal/Water/Wood system. If you want Air/Earth/Fire/Water you should be looking at the Shugenja.)
(Also also, IIRC the perfect system for running this in is Legends of the Wulin, but I don't know !much about it beyond it apparently fitting perfectly for an A:TLA game.)

Svm420
2014-08-11, 12:07 AM
This is the "D&D 3e/3.5e/d20," as this is not a related question, it does not belong in this forum

:smallconfused: :smallyuk:At least be right with your nit picks.

OldTrees1
2014-08-11, 01:25 AM
I used the Earthbender class to create some Armored Golemancer NPCs for a non Avatar D&D campaign I was running.

It worked very well at modeling what I wanted.

I looked at Fire, Water and Air. Firebender's powers seemed to lack sufficient versatility.

gorfnab
2014-08-11, 02:26 AM
This Avatar D20 (http://www.scribd.com/doc/58731271/Avatar-the-Last-Airbender-D20) seems well thought out and edited. I have not had a chance to play-test it though.

OldTrees1
2014-08-11, 03:18 AM
This Avatar D20 (http://www.scribd.com/doc/58731271/Avatar-the-Last-Airbender-D20) seems well thought out and edited. I have not had a chance to play-test it though.

That is the one I had used. It is well thought out except perhaps for the low versatility of Firebenders relative to the other benders.

PS: Thanks for the link, I had lost my bookmark.

Trilby
2014-08-11, 05:45 AM
Yeah, I'm using that system (And as it is a variant d20 system, I did think it appropriate to ask about it here.). Cool to hear that the earth benders worked out, I'll keep an eye on the fire benders, see if they need help.

Thanks all :)

dysprosium
2014-08-11, 08:26 AM
I used the above referenced system for a short hodgepodge campaign. I created a slew of oddball characters from different subsystems to playtest an adventure.

One of the players was a Dai Li Agent and he loved it. It helped that he was fluent with the series and knew what effects he wanted to do and seeds he wanted to use. He ended up being one of the only characters left standing at the end of that adventure.

Dunsparce
2014-08-11, 09:01 AM
Mayhaps they should update the different benders with abilities they are shown to be able to do in Legend of Korra.Waterbenders that can bloodbend outside of full moons. Earthbenders in particular got a big boost, what with Metalbending, tremersense, and lie detecting being more common and the debut recently of a non-avatar lavabender, also the latest villian has shown what airbending can do if you aren't a pacifist like sucking the air out of someone's lungs and creating a vacuum around their head and the fact they they can locate things using fancy spirit powers. For firebenders it seems that combustion man wasn't the only guy with those unique abilities and the explosions can be taught to curve around things before going off.

Gildedragon
2014-08-11, 11:34 AM
It would not be remiss to categorize spells by effects.

Acid as a damage type is eliminated, or turned into an environmental effect (water bending acid)
Force as a damage type is gone, probably used to describe physical damage (ie earthbending) or combustion-man bending
Sonic damage is gone or is used to describe some damaging earthbending
Rays are exclusive to firebending
Eschew Materials is exclusive to firebending
Most of Conjuration and Necromancy are gone
Enchantment is reduced to dominate spells (bloodbending)
Divination is gone or turned into non-bending discipline

Madara
2014-08-11, 12:09 PM
The game is best when you're flexible with the combination of seeds and forms and such. The Cruise-Missile Shot ,as my players called it, was an earthbender launching the firebender at the enemy, while they used the fire jets. It was pretty cool.

Keep in mind that the waterbender healing is quite strong, meaning the party can stay pretty much full health between battles.

Trilby
2014-08-13, 11:03 AM
...an earthbender launching the firebender at the enemy, while they used the fire jets. It was pretty cool. ...

This. I need some of this happening. I think bending is very versatile, and this is what I'm talking about :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the insight all, I guess I should just put on my big girl shorts and get this bending party started.

malonkey1
2014-08-13, 11:13 AM
This. I need some of this happening. I think bending is very versatile, and this is what I'm talking about :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the insight all, I guess I should just put on my big girl shorts and get this bending party started.

Get a metalbender, put everybody in metal armor (or just stone armor and an earthbender). You have free levitation for the party at sufficient levels.