PDA

View Full Version : The Jade Trade

LordotTrinkets
2014-08-10, 06:50 PM
It has taken about a month for the Elan to complete your ship. It is made of oak, so that it blends in with Scoundrelian society, but some aspects of its design (fabric of the masts, lesser design traits, and so forth) hint at its origin. After the boat is christened (I'll leave you guys to giving it a name), you three are immediately teleported back to Teardrop Cove.

After settling back in for a few days you are visited by Wallrunner in your favorite porterhouse. As he bows to say hello, it looks like his bulging eyes might just fall out.

"Greetings, Kara, Hagar, and..." He glares at Robert, "It. Do you mind if I sit down? I have something to discuss with you."

Arch warrior
2014-08-11, 11:52 AM
"By all means sire. And I perfer Wacha-Makalik".

SerenaQ
2014-08-18, 06:27 PM
"You seem to have something important to say."

jazxom
2014-08-23, 07:44 PM
Speak! or I'll punch you.

Give me a nickel and I'll punch Robert.

LordotTrinkets
2014-08-23, 09:03 PM
Wallrunner starts a little at the brunt threat Hagar made, but the barbarian's comment about punching Robert makes him chuckle. "That you can do for free." He then pulls a chair out and takes a seat.

When the barmaid walks by and asks if he wants anything, he only asks for the house steak and insists on not having any port. As the wench leaves, he continues. "An entire season and yet I still can't drink alcohol, for fear of it tasting like whale oil. Anyway, on to the reason I'm here." The chair creaks as Wallrunner leans back into it.

"Long story short, a major cluster of islands toward the south have been captured by an organization of people calling themselves the Shaloor. As a result, my friend and captain, Amanu, might be unable to complete a very important delivery of high-quality jade.

That's where you three come in, Amanu has recently obtained a map to an islet with a tomb hidden within it. He has reason to suspect that there is a large quantity of jade buried there, and he would like for you to recover it."

Arch warrior
2014-08-23, 11:09 PM
Robert puts on his money interested/business/least ridiculous face and says, "What do we get in return for this?"

LordotTrinkets
2014-08-24, 09:42 AM
"I doubt that all of the wealth will be in jade, and some of the jade will likely be ground into powder over the years and worthless to our client's purposes. So you can keep any regular treasure and any pieces of jade smaller than a marble that you find."

jazxom
2014-08-24, 08:26 PM
I don't care as long as we get some decent fights this time.

SerenaQ
2014-08-25, 04:29 PM
"What kind of danger is involved?"

LordotTrinkets
2014-08-25, 05:18 PM
Wallrunner purses his lips as he contemplates how to say this next statement.

"The tomb is located in an archipelago that was ravaged by a necromancer some time ago. Most of the islands have been purged of the vile magic that radiated from them, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some... restless spirits still lurking the area."

As he finishes his statement, the barmaid comes back and gives him his steak. After thanking the lady, he grabs his fork and knife and starts to cut the meat up. Just before taking the first bite though, he pauses and puts the morsel down.

"Perhaps I'll eat this when the idea of undead and rotting flesh AREN'T fresh in my mind." He says with a weak laugh.

SerenaQ
2014-08-27, 12:22 PM
How do we get started?

LordotTrinkets
2014-08-27, 06:17 PM
"Well, as soon as I finish my steak, I'll take you to Amanu's house, he has the map there."

As the first mate had said, the moment he payed and finished his steak, he takes you to Amanu's house. The building is in the more inland area of the city, but most of the swamp water has been pumped out, leaving behind a lush green yard. After opening the door to the house, Wallrunner takes you to a room below the staircase in the main hall. The walls of this room are covered with see charts and other map with what Kara recognizes as Makuni written on them, and Amanu is sitting at his desk, studying one of these maps. All of the windows are open and an aeolian harp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolian_harp) is placed next to each, filling the room with their music.
There is also a large fish tank to the right side of the room that is rimmed with jade and has the shape of numerous different kinds of fish carved into it. At the center of this fish tank is what appears to be an Aquan egg that is darker in color than the normal Aquan egg.

Amanu looks up from his work when he hears Wallrunner close the door, "Ah good! You've accepted my offer. Well, this is the island you'll heading to." He says with his thick vanaran accent, he then gestures to an oval shaped island on the map on his desk. "It should not be more than two day away."

Arch warrior
2014-09-03, 03:37 PM
"I have a quick question. Why do you have an Aquan egg in there?"

LordotTrinkets
2014-09-03, 04:14 PM
Amanu's head snaps up at Robert's question, his flushed skin contrasting with his blue fur.

"That's... My son." He says, avoiding eye contact, "Lilith was evidently taking advantage of me in more than one way."

SerenaQ
2014-09-03, 10:54 PM
Um...Well, at least you got custody...

LordotTrinkets
2014-09-05, 12:15 PM
"Well, she actually ran away when I discovered her scheming..." There is a long silence as Amanu tries to return to the main subject.

"Anyway, when I first noticed your new ship, I couldn't help but notice that you don't have a sufficient crew. I'd be willing to send some of my crew members along with you on this journey, unless you've already hired some people to serve as your permanent crew.

jazxom
2014-09-12, 02:00 PM
We haven't hired anyone. All the crew we could find liked me but were scared of Robert.

SerenaQ
2014-09-12, 04:49 PM
The crew would be appreciated. I think we're in agreement to get started. Ready?
We haven't hired anyone. All the crew we could find liked me but were scared of Robert.

LordotTrinkets
2014-09-13, 05:19 PM
"We are!" says Amanu as he gives Kara a firm hand shake.

It is at least a day before the necessary crew and provisions are organized onto the ship and not until dawn that the your ship finally sails out. And...

DM Roll of sneakiness and foreshadowing [roll0]

The Lord is indeed in you favor! The day is bright and clear, the winds are barreling you in the direction of the Dead Isle, and the crew is gleefully going to their work.

It is an hour past noon, and you are all finding your own ways to whittle away the time, Hagar is sharpening his prized greataxe, Kara is swimming beside Dolly, and Robert is enjoying a crew that also enjoys his taste in pirate tunes. As you are in the water, Kara, you've found that there has been an increasing amount of driftwood floating by, starting with only a few splinters now and then and steadily getting larger until you see planks the length of your arms! You're suspicious, but continue swimming. That is to say until Dolly calls to you, for as you turn you realize that she's come across a miniature globe floating in the waters.

Meanwhile, the crew-member in the crow's nest cries out "Man overboard!"

Arch warrior
2014-09-13, 05:48 PM
Robbert stops singing and shouts to the man in the crow's nest, "WHERE DID HE FALL!" However, he then thinks to himself, "If he is in the Crow's nest, maybe he can't understand common." He then shouts, "CAW, CAW,CA-CA CAW!"

SerenaQ
2014-09-13, 08:48 PM
I grab the small globe and send Dolly to retrieve the man that is overboard.

LordotTrinkets
2014-09-14, 09:47 AM
The man in the crow's nest hollers back down, "Starboard! And he didn't fall of the ship... At least not our ship!" He pauses as he translates what Robert said in crow. "She was NOT!"

It is difficult for Dolly to find the man, as he looks a lot like the driftwood to her echo-location, but she finds him nonetheless. When brought aboard the ship, the globe is soggy, tinted by the saltwater, and falling apart... And the unconscious man is the same. He is different from the globe, however, as he is covered by numerous large lacerations and bite marks.

SerenaQ
2014-09-14, 06:07 PM
Medic! This man needs a doctor, quick!

LordotTrinkets
2014-09-15, 01:01 PM
The members of the crew simply look at each other in a confused fashion, no one seems to want to mention the obvious until one of the larger, more burly types steps forward. "Ummm... Ok... Uh, Kara, there's an injured man on da poop-deck. He needs medical attention real soon." says the sea-dog in a disoriented, dispassionate voice.

SerenaQ
2014-09-15, 01:34 PM
Kara momentarily looks at him with a blank expression and then mutters to herself "oh yeah, I'm a druid":smallredface:

Heal check [roll0]

LordotTrinkets
2014-09-15, 01:52 PM
Kara quickly bandages and splints the torn body of the man. She also notes a large amount of bruising on the back of the man's head and makes sure that there is plenty of straw to serve as a pillow.

There is, however, something that frightens her. The castaway's nose is pale and he has SEVERE halitosis (as though there were something rotten in his mouth), both early signs of a rare disease known as Stygian Waste. The disease is fortunately, easily dealt with this early in the incubation period and won't risk contaminating any of the crew.

Make a knowledge(Arcana) check

SerenaQ
2014-09-16, 08:55 PM
I wonder how he got this...

Knowledge Arcane check [roll0]

LordotTrinkets
2014-09-16, 09:19 PM
You recall many tales told by salty old sailors and you recall many treatises by salt-fearing doctors about this disease's origins, all of these inform you that there is only one way to retract this affliction. Its breeding ground is in an ancient variety of sea monster. You do not recall its name, but you remember that its greatest pleasure and purpose in life is to poison all water that it touches and to torment those who cross its path.

SerenaQ
2014-09-21, 07:12 PM
Uh Oh, we might need to be on the look out for a sea monstor

Arch warrior
2014-09-22, 07:29 PM
"SEA MONSTERS! I hate sea monsters! They're so Green, and Toothy, and Mean, and Scary, and, and, and," he looks at Hagar, "AHHHHH! A SEA MONSTER!" He then readies himself for a battle with a sea monster.