PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Items for a Psion

Kesnit
2014-08-10, 07:14 PM
(For those of you who saw my post a few days ago about an Artificer, that build had to be scrapped because the DM told me she is not giving out individual XP.)

I am finishing up a Kalashtar Shaper Psion, starting at 8th level for a new game. Stats are 18, 18, 17, 17, 15, 15. We have 77,000 gold to spend.

Here is my updated list:

Cognizance Crystal (9 pp)
Deep Crystal Light X-bow
Galvanic Crysteel Dagger +1
Gloves of DEX +2
Headband of INT +4
Mithral Chain Shirt
Orb of Mental Renewal
Quori Shard - Power Link x2
Scarlet and Blue Iuon Stone
Rainbow Ioun Stone
Psionicist's Gloves
Manifesting Bolts +1 (50)
Belt of Endurance
Handy Haversack
Anklets of Translocation
Wand Bracers

Power Stones (number in parenthesis is how many manifestations I have)

Aversion (5)
Detect Hostile Intent (3)
Dimension Swap (5)
Concealing Amorphia, Greater (2)
Control Object (10)
False Sensory Input (3)
Grease, Psionic (25)
Intellect Fortress (2 - works against spells)
Read Thoughts (5)
Vigor (25)

Dorjes

Bolt
Grease, Psionic
Read Object
Vigor

That leaves me just about 500 of my allowed wealth. Is that a good list? Is there something I should swap out for something else?

Thanks!

Rubik
2014-08-10, 07:24 PM
Kill the cognizance crystal. They're crap.

A handful of +1 manifesting arrows is much better, since they provide more bangs for your buck and automatically refill each day, rather than requiring a manual refill.

You may also want to go after a pair of anklets of translocation, combined with the abilities on the horseshoes of the zephyr and/or horseshoes of speed. Use the MIC rules for combining item abilities.

Also, how about a saving throw booster and a handy haversack?

And ioun stones are generally inferior to slotted items, since iouns are much more expensive. Orange ioun stones are a major exception, of course.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 07:44 PM
The scarlet and blue ioun stone is an enhancement bonus and so will not stack with your headband of intelligence, so dump it.

A handful of +1 manifesting arrows is much better, since they provide more bangs for your buck and automatically refill each day, rather than requiring a manual refill.

There is a caveat here though - you cannot pay for a power using more than one source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#usingStoredPowerPoints), so you must spend the arrows separately (i.e. on 5PP manifestations) even if you can enchant them as a group. Similarly, the Rainbow Ioun Stone is a separate source. I would dump both of your Ioun Stones, freeing up 24,000 gp. If you can scrape together 12 more on top of that you can pick up a Torc of Power Preservation (use the XPH version.)

Rubik
2014-08-10, 07:51 PM
There is a caveat here though - you cannot pay for a power using more than one source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#usingStoredPowerPoints), so you must spend the arrows separately (i.e. on 5PP manifestations) even if you can enchant them as a group.This is true, but 5pp manifestations (in bulk) can come in extremely handy for extending your stamina. For instance, repeated manifestations of Touchsight and Time Hop can be extremely valuable, and those costs add up quickly.

Similarly, the Rainbow Ioun Stone is a separate source. I would dump both of your Ioun Stones, freeing up 24,000 gp. If you can scrape together 12 more on top of that you can pick up a Torc of Power Preservation (use the XPH version.)+1.

You may also consider nabbing several pairs of a psionic version of the arcanist's gloves, from the MIC, since +2 ML for 1st level powers can be really handy. Remember that augmenting a power does not change its level, so augmenting, say, Astral Construct with an additional +2 ML means you get far more out of it.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 07:55 PM
This is true, but 5pp manifestations (in bulk) can come in extremely handy for extending your stamina. For instance, repeated manifestations of Touchsight and Time Hop can be extremely valuable, and those costs add up quickly.

Definitely agreed - just want to be sure people know you can't grab a quiver full of arrows and zap someone for 40d6 or something.

Werephilosopher
2014-08-10, 08:38 PM
If you can scrape together 12 more on top of that you can pick up a Torc of Power Preservation (use the XPH version.)

And if your DM allows it, combine with Earth Power and Bestow Power to recharge PP. :smallbiggrin:

Kesnit
2014-08-10, 09:10 PM

Why are they crap? (Not saying your wrong. I'm asking so I understand.) As I'm reading it, I could store unused PP in it at the end of the day, which I could then use the next day and save my daily PP. I know I can't combine multiple sources of PP, so would only be able to manifest+augment a power with 9PP or less, but that's still 9 extra PP.

That's 12,000 a pop. Not sure I can afford that. (Or am I misunderstanding you..?)

You may also want to go after a pair of anklets of translocation, combined with the abilities on the horseshoes of the zephyr and/or horseshoes of speed. Use the MIC rules for combining item abilities.

*nod* I'll need to run the numbers, but that should be doable.

Also, how about a saving throw booster and a handy haversack?

And that's why I asked here... I knew I'd forget something otherwise. :smallredface:

And ioun stones are generally inferior to slotted items, since iouns are much more expensive. Orange ioun stones are a major exception, of course.

The scarlet and blue ioun stone is an enhancement bonus and so will not stack with your headband of intelligence, so dump it.

The ioun stones came from the Psion Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238). I didn't think the stone and the headband stacked, but both were listed, so I thought maybe I was reading something wrong.

Similarly, the Rainbow Ioun Stone is a separate source. I would dump both of your Ioun Stones, freeing up 24,000 gp.

I am dumping the Scarlet and Blue, since it is pointless. But I have the same question about the Rainbow that I had about the cognizance crystal - it seems like it would be a source of extra PP..?

If you can scrape together 12 more on top of that you can pick up a Torc of Power Preservation (use the XPH version.)

That looks great!

You may also consider nabbing several pairs of a psionic version of the arcanist's gloves, from the MIC, since +2 ML for 1st level powers can be really handy. Remember that augmenting a power does not change its level, so augmenting, say, Astral Construct with an additional +2 ML means you get far more out of it.

Those have been added.

And if your DM allows it, combine with Earth Power and Bestow Power to recharge PP. :smallbiggrin:

I'll keep that feat in mind for when I have available feats. Bestow Power wouldn't work since I'm the only manifester in the party.

Elderand
2014-08-10, 09:22 PM
That's 12,000 a pop. Not sure I can afford that. (Or am I misunderstanding you..?)

For the price of one enchantment you get it placed on....I don't remember offhand...25 arrows I believe.

So it's 12 000 for 25 arrows (or however many you get)

edit: Looked it up: it's for 50 arrows

Rubik
2014-08-10, 09:27 PM
Why are they crap? (Not saying your wrong. I'm asking so I understand.) As I'm reading it, I could store unused PP in it at the end of the day, which I could then use the next day and save my daily PP. I know I can't combine multiple sources of PP, so would only be able to manifest+augment a power with 9PP or less, but that's still 9 extra PP.Cognizance crystals are quite expensive, but they don't do much. They wouldn't be particularly worthwhile even if they auto-refilled, which they don't.

Consider, instead, the Soul Crystal (http://www.psionics.info/powers/soul-crystal/) power. It costs no money whatsoever, and it's much more efficient at storing your power points. Plus, anyone can use the powers stored therein, not just you. Combine with the Quintessence power to store your soul-infused powers indefinitely.

That's 12,000 a pop. Not sure I can afford that. (Or am I misunderstanding you..?)That's for 50 arrows. Or 250pp. Which are reusable, so long as they're not fired. And each one can be bought incrementally for 1/50 the cost (or less, if crafted). And refill automatically every day.

Those have been added.Don't forget that they stack with any other source of ML boosts, and the effect with cost reducers is cumulative.

For instance, a 10th level shaper psion with Overchannel, a torc of power preservation, a pair of psionicist's gloves, the Earth Power feat, and the Metapower (Linked Power + Synchronicity) combo can pull off a whopper of an Astral Construct manifestation. 10 ML (Base) + 2 ML (Overchannel) + 2 ML (gloves) - 1 pp cost (torc) - 1 pp cost (Earth Power) - 2 pp cost (Metapower) can manifest Synchronicity Linked to Astral Construct. He spends 14 actual pp, since that's his manifester level (which means that that's the maximum he can spend), he gains an additional 4 pp's worth of augmentation for free, due to the torc and feats, and so Synchronicity costs 1 pp of that budget, with the other 17 (effective) augmentation going toward Astral Construct.

IE, that 10th level shaper is capable of tossing out Astral Construct at its maximum augmentation, grabbing a 9th level construct in the process.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 09:30 PM
Why are they crap? (Not saying your wrong. I'm asking so I understand.) As I'm reading it, I could store unused PP in it at the end of the day, which I could then use the next day and save my daily PP. I know I can't combine multiple sources of PP, so would only be able to manifest+augment a power with 9PP or less, but that's still 9 extra PP.

It's sort of a dilemma - to make a cognizance crystal good, you need to reliably have extra PP at the end of the day to refill it. But then, if you always have extra PP at the end of the day, why do you need a cognizance crystal? :smalltongue:

So even when you can make it work, it tends not to be much use.

When you enchant ammunition (like arrows or bolts) you can hit up to 50 of them at once. Since you never actually have to fire the arrows to use the PP stored in them, this becomes a one-time investment.

The ioun stones came from the Psion Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238). I didn't think the stone and the headband stacked, but both were listed, so I thought maybe I was reading something wrong.

Nope, you read right - both enhancement.

My only guess is that he listed both in case there are DMs out there who don't like combining items, because then you can use the stone and something else in your headband slot instead, like a psicrown.

I am dumping the Scarlet and Blue, since it is pointless. But I have the same question about the Rainbow that I had about the cognizance crystal - it seems like it would be a source of extra PP..?

See above - 16k for a single 5PP, compared to 16k for a whole quiver of them.

I'll keep that feat in mind for when I have available feats. Bestow Power wouldn't work since I'm the only manifester in the party.

The idea is that you manifest it on yourself (the target line says "one psionic creature", which you are) but I recommend against trying this even if your DM might allow it.

Rubik
2014-08-10, 09:42 PM
According to CPsi, you can use your own power points when manifesting from a power stone in order to use your own ML (and thus, full augmentation), though it flushes the stone.

Buy a bunch of 1st-3rd level power stones to save you powers known. Since 1st level powers are valuable all the way into epic due to augmentation, a bag full of 25 gp power stones is ridiculously cheap.

Kesnit
2014-08-11, 05:55 AM
Consider, instead, the Soul Crystal (http://www.psionics.info/powers/soul-crystal/) power.

I'll keep that in mind for when I get LVL 7 powers. Right now, I only have up to LVL 4.

That's for 50 arrows. Or 250pp. Which are reusable, so long as they're not fired. And each one can be bought incrementally for 1/50 the cost (or less, if crafted). And refill automatically every day.

Somehow, I read that each arrow costs 12,000. :smallredface:

For instance, a 10th level shaper psion with Overchannel, a torc of power preservation, a pair of psionicist's gloves, the Earth Power feat, and the Metapower (Linked Power + Synchronicity) combo can pull off a whopper of an Astral Construct manifestation. 10 ML (Base) + 2 ML (Overchannel) + 2 ML (gloves) - 1 pp cost (torc) - 1 pp cost (Earth Power) - 2 pp cost (Metapower) can manifest Synchronicity Linked to Astral Construct. He spends 14 actual pp, since that's his manifester level (which means that that's the maximum he can spend), he gains an additional 4 pp's worth of augmentation for free, due to the torc and feats, and so Synchronicity costs 1 pp of that budget, with the other 17 (effective) augmentation going toward Astral Construct.

IE, that 10th level shaper is capable of tossing out Astral Construct at its maximum augmentation, grabbing a 9th level construct in the process.

Well, I know what I'm building towards. I already have Overchannel (and Talented), the psionicist's gloves, and Synchronicity. I should be able to move money around to get the torc. Now just need Linked Power and Earth Power... :smallsmile:

Buy a bunch of 1st-3rd level power stones to save you powers known. Since 1st level powers are valuable all the way into epic due to augmentation, a bag full of 25 gp power stones is ridiculously cheap.

I'll take a look and snag some. I know there were several powers that I liked the look of, but didn't take because I liked others more.

Can I use a stone with a power from another Discipline's list without needing a Use Psi Device check? I doubt it, but wanted to ask.

It's sort of a dilemma - to make a cognizance crystal good, you need to reliably have extra PP at the end of the day to refill it. But then, if you always have extra PP at the end of the day, why do you need a cognizance crystal? :smalltongue:

*chuckle* I did have that thought. :smallamused: I guess I was thinking there would be times I'd need it, but compared to the times I don't... Yeah... :smallfrown:

See above - 16k for a single 5PP, compared to 16k for a whole quiver of them.

Yup. OK, so the Rainbow Ioun Stone is gone, too.

WOW, I'm getting a lot of gold to respend! I'm going to update the OP with what I have now.

The idea is that you manifest it on yourself (the target line says "one psionic creature", which you are) but I recommend against trying this even if your DM might allow it.

Yeah, I'm trying to keep my DM from looking too closely at my sheet. I'm using Astral Construct from XPH, not CPsi, since the one in XPH does not limit me to 1 Construct at a time. I'd rather she not get annoyed with me and start doing research!

Rubik
2014-08-11, 06:56 AM
Note that the arrows must have an enhancement bonus in order to be enhanced with the manifester property, just like with magical weapons.

Unless there's a houserule stating otherwise, of course.

I wouldn't bother adding the +1 to your armor, since it doesn't stack with Inertial Armor (which is better, since that bonus gets much higher, and it works against incorporeal touch attacks) or to your weapons (except the arrows). You can always enhance them more later, with the money you get from WBL. Focus right now on buying things that you most likely won't be able to find easily, since you won't want to liquidate your earnings at half-price to buy expensive things at full price.

You may also consider buying a sorcerer's hand crossbow (from the Arms & Equipment Guide, pg 117), since that works with ray attacks, so you'll be able to use, say, Energy Ray at +1 ML, with [enhancement bonus] to hit.

As a reminder, do not use your manifesting bolts/arrows/sling stones as ammunition. They will break if you do, which wastes them. Use them as self-refilling 5pp cognizance crystals, instead. Buy some regular bolts if you must, but avoid using those manifesting bolts for anything but batteries.

Can I use a stone with a power from another Discipline's list without needing a Use Psi Device check? I doubt it, but wanted to ask.Afraid not. You must have the power on your class's list, which, unfortunately, will not include any discipline you don't have access to.

Kesnit
2014-08-11, 07:22 AM
Note that the arrows must have an enhancement bonus in order to be enhanced with the manifester property, just like with magical weapons.

Ah, nice catch. I adjusted the price on them in my spreadsheet to pay for the +1

I wouldn't bother adding the +1 to your armor, since it doesn't stack with Inertial Armor (which is better, since that bonus gets much higher, and it works against incorporeal touch attacks) or to your weapons (except the arrows).

The Galvanic Crysteel Dagger has to stay +1 since Galvanic Crysteel is a +1 bonus. I took the +1 off the armor and crossbow.

You may also consider buying a sorcerer's hand crossbow (from the Arms & Equipment Guide, pg 117), since that works with ray attacks, so you'll be able to use, say, Energy Ray at +1 ML, with [enhancement bonus] to hit.

I only have 1 ray power - Crystalstorm

Amethyst Burst
Astral Construct
Burrowing Bonds
Constrictor's Touch
Control Sound
Crystalstorm
Dispel Psionics (the DM allows it to dispel magic)
Divination, Psionic
Ectoplasmic Cocoon
Energy Wall
Entangling Ectoplasm
Gemstone Breath
Inertial Armor
Minor Creation, Psionic
Synchronicity
Time Hop
Touchsight
Wall of Ectoplasm

As a reminder, do not use your manifesting bolts/arrows/sling stones as ammunition. They will break if you do, which wastes them. Use them as self-refilling 5pp cognizance crystals, instead. Buy some regular bolts if you must, but avoid using those manifesting bolts for anything but batteries.

:smallbiggrin: I have 50 mundane bolts on my sheet, and may add more.

Afraid not. You must have the power on your class's list, which, unfortunately, will not include any discipline you don't have access to.

That's what I thought. Thought I'd ask and see though. I'll just add some points to UPD.

Rubik
2014-08-11, 07:28 AM
An 8th level psion -- sans prestige classes -- should have 17 powers known. I'd consider looking into Touchsight and nab Burrowing Power when you can. X-Ray vision!

And don't forget the handy haversack. Look into the possum pouch, from Complete Adventurer. Use the MIC rules to combine them.

Kesnit
2014-08-11, 08:05 AM
An 8th level psion -- sans prestige classes -- should have 17 powers known.

Which I have at the moment.

I'd consider looking into Touchsight and nab Burrowing Power when you can. X-Ray vision!

:smallbiggrin: Which power would you recommend swapping out for Touchsight? I'm thinking Gemstone Breath..?

And don't forget the handy haversack. Look into the possum pouch, from Complete Adventurer. Use the MIC rules to combine them.

HH is listed above.

Hide the Handy Haversack on my stomach? :smallsmile:

Rubik
2014-08-11, 08:41 AM
How about more power link shards? You can have one per manifester level, IIRC.

Which I have at the moment.Maaaybe I should wait until I'm fully awake in the morning before I comment on things...

:smallbiggrin: Which power would you recommend swapping out for Touchsight? I'm thinking Gemstone Breath..?Gemstone Breath isn't worth much unless you give it a major boost with metapsionics and (possibly) metabreath feats. It's a good choice for the swap, yes.

HH is listed above.

Hide the Handy Haversack on my stomach? :smallsmile:Right.

Kesnit
2014-08-11, 08:48 AM
How about more power link shards? You can have one per manifester level, IIRC.

Good idea. I've added a second (for now).

Maaaybe I should wait until I'm fully awake in the morning before I comment on things...

No problem. Since I was picking all the powers at once - level by level - it wouldn't have surprised me if I did miss one or more.

Gemstone Breath isn't worth much unless you give it a major boost with metapsionics and (possibly) metabreath feats.

The augments get really high, too, which was a concern.

I've added power stones and dorjes to the OP.

Rubik
2014-08-11, 09:31 AM
I've added power stones and dorjes to the OP.Psionic Grease needs a slightly higher manifester level to really be worthwhile. I'd trade it for 25 power stones, then use your own ML on it, instead, since it only costs 1pp to manifest. The same goes for Vigor.

How about a dorje of Entangling Ectoplasm?

Also, a pair of wand bracers, to store your dorjes in.

FYI, power stones cost twice what a charge on a dorje does, which means 25 power stones = 1 full dorje. Not 75.

Kesnit
2014-08-11, 09:33 AM
Psionic Grease needs a slightly higher manifester level to really be worthwhile. I'd trade it for 25 power stones, then use your own ML on it, instead, since it only costs 1pp to manifest. The same goes for Vigor.

Good idea. Change is made

How about a dorje of Entangling Ectoplasm?

I already know that power. I was snagging dorjes for powers I don't know, in order to broaden my utility.

Also, a pair of wand bracers, to store your dorjes in.

Oooo.... Shiny... :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2014-08-11, 09:35 AM
You...may want to take out the last bit of your signature. It's more than a little homophobic-sounding.

Also, reread my last post. I edited some in before you posted your last post.

Kesnit
2014-08-11, 10:03 AM
You...may want to take out the last bit of your signature. It's more than a little homophobic-sounding.

Heh... Never read it that way. In the context it was said, it was a joke (and the homosexuality was actually a good thing. The player it was said to apparently killed the DM's BBEG using the power of homosexuality.) But I do see your point...

Edit: Found the post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=4722719&postcount=24)

FYI, power stones cost twice what a charge on a dorje does, which means 25 power stones = 1 full dorje. Not 75.

I may be misreading or misunderstanding the table, then. (Not surprising if I am.) It says a Minor Stone will have 1d3 powers, and a Medium stone will have 1d4. I was reading that as each stone could be used multiple times, assuming the 1d3/1d4 powers were all the same. (In other words, a minor stone with Vigor would have 1-3 manifestations of Vigor, so could be used 1-3 times before it is burned out.) The 75 isn't 75 power stones of Vigor, it's 25 power stones, each with 3 Vigor's in it. (That's how I calculated all the stones. Medium stones are assumed to also have 3 manifestation of the 2nd level power.)

Rubik
2014-08-11, 11:06 AM
Heh... Never read it that way. In the context it was said, it was a joke (and the homosexuality was actually a good thing. The player it was said to apparently killed the DM's BBEG using the power of homosexuality.) But I do see your point...

Edit: Found the post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=4722719&postcount=24)El oh el. That's funny. But out of context, it sounds really bad. Maybe add a link and quote the whole thing in a spoiler?

I may be misreading or misunderstanding the table, then. (Not surprising if I am.) It says a Minor Stone will have 1d3 powers, and a Medium stone will have 1d4. I was reading that as each stone could be used multiple times, assuming the 1d3/1d4 powers were all the same. (In other words, a minor stone with Vigor would have 1-3 manifestations of Vigor, so could be used 1-3 times before it is burned out.) The 75 isn't 75 power stones of Vigor, it's 25 power stones, each with 3 Vigor's in it. (That's how I calculated all the stones. Medium stones are assumed to also have 3 manifestation of the 2nd level power.)Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many powers the stone has, since manifesting from it once "flushes the stone," making it useless after.

I'd just go with one power and one charge per stone. Much less of a chance of getting FUBARd from a negative ruling.

Kesnit
2014-08-11, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many powers the stone has, since manifesting from it once "flushes the stone," making it useless after.

Drat. I was reading that as "once all the powers are used, if there's more than one." Oh well...

I'd just go with one power and one charge per stone. Much less of a chance of getting FUBARd from a negative ruling.

*sigh* Yeah... I adjusted the numbers in the OP (and bought some extra stones of powers I am pretty sure will be useful).