PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Theurge = Trap?

tadkins
2014-08-10, 07:43 PM
I've been pondering on a possible build for a blasting alternative to the mailman sorcerer and came across this one. I've heard mixed opinions on this PrC and would like to get a definitive answer.

From the looks of it, an Evoker/Warlock could be a lot of fun, and the abilities of the class seem to mix well. I also like how Warlock invocations can help fill in the gaps left by Wizard specialization. Would putting all of this together end up being worth it, though? It all looks fun on paper, but in terms of effectiveness, are there better ways to go about making a good blasting character? Thanks in advance.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 07:48 PM
I would use it with Sha'ir rather than Wizard. This will let you use Charisma as your casting stat, which will also boost your invocations and UMD checks. In addition, Sha'ir is technically a divine caster as well, so with the right build you can also get into Eldritch Disciple and net yourself 9th-level spells + a Dark invocation. Finally, the Warlock side can blast and invoke while your gen is out getting you the solution to the encounter, and your Warlock side can craft items to teach magic to the Sha'ir side.

gomipile
2014-08-10, 07:54 PM
It would be a lot better if it didn't require Warlock 3 to enter. Archivist + Eldritch Disciple is slightly better because of Eldritch Disciple's lower entry requirement, even though it loses one caster level inside the PrC.

Troacctid
2014-08-10, 10:33 PM
If your DM lets you qualify early with a Chasuble of Fell Power, it's a nice payoff for just a one-level dip. Likewise for a Warlock qualifying via Improved Krau or whatever.

If you're stuck with Wizard 3/Warlock 3 entry, though, your casting progression ends up slightly worse than a Bard's. (You catch up at 10th level, but then the Bard goes into Sublime Chord and you fall behind again.) Bards seem to manage well enough, so it's not the worst, I guess, but then again, Bards are also utility/support casters. For a blaster? Losing the caster levels and spell progression will hurt a lot for an Evoker who relies on spells to deal damage in combat. You need the CL for damage and overcoming spell resistance, and you need the higher-level spell slots for metamagic. There's probably some creative things that can be done with Spellblast, but with straight damaging spells like Fireball, I'm fairly certain the math is in favor of the single-classed character, at least until the very highest levels.

That said, even without early entry, the class is definitely playable and it looks like it would be a lot of fun. So it's a step down from a T1 full caster, boo hoo. It's still got lots to do and some nifty, unique abilities.

Psyren
2014-08-10, 10:43 PM
Well, you don't have to step down from T1 at all if you use Sha'ir :smalltongue: that's what I was getting at.

Sure the build restricts you to Chaotic Good - but I consider that a feature!

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-11, 06:50 AM
General advice.

1 - Pay attention to spells / invocation choices. Don't overlap. You can take spells that replace invocations and invocations that render spells obsolete. Focus on a few really good invocations that will be used all the time, and focus your spells on broad utility and on things invocations can't replicate.

2 - Pick, you are ether a warlock with a few spells or a spellcaster with a few invocations. Think one OR the other. Trying for both will just leave you behind in both.