PDA

View Full Version : Fighters, Feats, and You: How to milk the feat system to make a fighter better

CyberThread
2014-08-10, 09:03 PM
Greetings today, and welcome to the home shopping network. Today we are covering FIGHTERS! Yes, the dreaded "sigh we wanted more" depression that is ransacking the forums.

So today we will cover the feat system, and how the fighter can make itself more then just a stabber, meat shield.

We will start with:

Alert: +5 Initiative, Never Be Surprised, Deny foes who are hidden advantage on attack rolls.

Crossbow Expert: Ignore Quality of crossbows , don't provoke disadvantage when attacking within 5ft , gain the ability to attack with a one handed weapon and a crossbow weapon.

Defensive Duelist: With a finesse weapon if a creature attacks you, use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC

Dungeon Delver: Advantage on perception and investigation checks made to detect secret doors. Advantage to avoid or resit traps, resistance on trap damage. Search for traps at a normal pace.

Grappler: Advantage against creatures you are grappling, one size larger creatures no longer auto succeed , you can pin in a grapple.

Inspiring leader: Spend 10 mins those around you gain temp hp

Linguist: +1 Int, learn three languages, create written ciphers.

Mage Slayer: those within 5ft while casting a spell you can attack on your reaction, casters are disadvantage on concentration checks, you can advantage against spells that are cast within 5 feet of you.

Magic Initiate: Learn Two cantrips from a spell list, gain a level 1 spell that you can use once per long rest.

Ritual Caster: Gain two level 1 spells, gain a ritual book . Any rituals on the spell list you chose that has a casting level of 1/2 your character level you can add to the book .

As you can see, a few of these options can greatly expand a Fighters abilties to be more then a meathead.

Envyus
2014-08-11, 01:03 AM
There are also ones that make them even better at what they do.

Chadamantium
2014-08-11, 08:20 AM
I'm really liking alert and ritual casting. Denying rogue types and minor spell casting(without EK) definitely makes fighter an appealing choice for me. I also like that crossbow feat. Ignoring the loading feature so I can make my iteratives is a deal maker in my opinion for a ranged fighter.

PinkysBrain
2014-08-11, 10:06 AM
Going to see a lot of sword and boarders with rapiers.

HorridElemental
2014-08-11, 10:18 AM

Eh, not like D&D has ever had a good representation of weapons and real life fighting styles.

The shield could be fluffed as a buckler if a DM has a problem with this combo.

Tehnar
2014-08-11, 10:27 AM

Yeah, and no need to change anything with your stat distribution; ie can still go all STR so it can work with full plate.

And of course that will be the variant human with the feat at level 1 so you can still get a maxed attribute at level 6.

Millennium
2014-08-11, 10:29 AM
Eh, not like D&D has ever had a good representation of weapons and real life fighting styles.

Rapier-and-shield existed, at least to some degree. Some of the Italian masters were especially fond of the rotella, which was a fairly large round shield. The style didn't rise to much prominence, and (much like the rapier itself) was almost exclusively practiced by duelists rather than soldiers, but it was out there.

Grac
2014-08-11, 12:54 PM
A fighter with Magic Initiate:
Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, and Charm Person or Command and... You have Obi Wan in A New Hope :D

Wrenn
2014-08-11, 03:07 PM
A fighter with Magic Initiate:
Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, and Charm Person or Command and... You have Obi Wan in A New Hope :D

Dang it, now I'm wondering how hard it would be to pull 5th's bounded math into Saga. Saga has always been my favorite d20 game. ;)

AshurKane
2016-07-17, 01:50 PM
Just remake the Fighter Class like I did.
(Fighting Style gets bonus feat towards that style much like ranger)
Lv1 Fighting Style (Archery, 2wep ftng, sword and shield, 2 handers) , Bonus Feat
Lv2 Bonus Feat
Lv3 Warcry 1/day (taunt. Will Save DC 10+ Intimidate Ranks. Fail attacks FTR for 1d4 rds)
Lv4 Feat
Lv5 Armor Optimization (choose light medium or heavy)
Lv6 Feat
7 Improved Ftng Style
8 feat
9 Greater Optimization
10 feat
11 Warcry 2/day (add +1 att for allies)
12 feat
13 Ftng Style Mastery
14 feat
15 Armor Optimization Mastery (additional -2ACP +2 AC exclusive ability)
16 feat
17 Warcry 3/day
18 & 19 Bonus feats
20 Combat Master : Warcry 60' & +2 att for allies, +2 att & dmg for you specialized style (weapon) , +2 deflection to AC

Now you can tailor a fighter. Who is SUPPOSED to be a Master of the Fighting Arts to be more than a pile of crap.
Fighters in my campaigns also do not have to meet the prerequisites for Fighter feats except for improved and greater versions which they need to take in order.
Isn't it lovely? It's not even OP or anything in play... actually more fun more custom and Warcry is useful! A useful fighter skill! Boo! :)

Cybren
2016-07-17, 02:02 PM
I don't really see the purpose of this thread. You just summarized what the feats do, without actually putting into context why they're better than other feats for a fighter, or better for fighters than other classes

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 02:36 PM
Greetings today, and welcome to the home shopping network. Today we are covering FIGHTERS! Yes, the dreaded "sigh we wanted more" depression that is ransacking the forums.

So today we will cover the feat system, and how the fighter can make itself more then just a stabber, meat shield.

We will start with:

Alert: +5 Initiative, Never Be Surprised, Deny foes who are hidden advantage on attack rolls.

Crossbow Expert: Ignore Quality of crossbows , don't provoke disadvantage when attacking within 5ft , gain the ability to attack with a one handed weapon and a crossbow weapon.

Defensive Duelist: With a finesse weapon if a creature attacks you, use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC

Dungeon Delver: Advantage on perception and investigation checks made to detect secret doors. Advantage to avoid or resit traps, resistance on trap damage. Search for traps at a normal pace.

Grappler: Advantage against creatures you are grappling, one size larger creatures no longer auto succeed , you can pin in a grapple.

Inspiring leader: Spend 10 mins those around you gain temp hp

Linguist: +1 Int, learn three languages, create written ciphers.

Mage Slayer: those within 5ft while casting a spell you can attack on your reaction, casters are disadvantage on concentration checks, you can advantage against spells that are cast within 5 feet of you.

Magic Initiate: Learn Two cantrips from a spell list, gain a level 1 spell that you can use once per long rest.

Ritual Caster: Gain two level 1 spells, gain a ritual book . Any rituals on the spell list you chose that has a casting level of 1/2 your character level you can add to the book .

As you can see, a few of these options can greatly expand a Fighters abilties to be more then a meathead.

I want to point out that by RAW you don't automatically gain feats. You also don't automatically gain feats through your bonus ASI from fighter levels.

Other than that, you should read what Grappler does and doesn't really do. It is actually a pretty crappy feat.

smcmike
2016-07-17, 02:50 PM
I don't really see the purpose of this thread. You just summarized what the feats do, without actually putting into context why they're better than other feats for a fighter, or better for fighters than other classes

It's two years old.

bid
2016-07-17, 02:58 PM
It's two years old.
PEACH and necrosis. Please amputate.

AshurKane
2016-07-17, 05:27 PM
The purpose is that 3.5 fighters stink so to make a better one you have to remake the class...give em some features...don't have to use my formula but its more on par with what they're there for....and i been posting on these old boards to get responses see if anyone's there ;)

HoarsHalberd
2016-07-17, 05:31 PM
The purpose is that 3.5 fighters stink so to make a better one you have to remake the class...give em some features...don't have to use my formula but its more on par with what they're there for....and i been posting on these old boards to get responses see if anyone's there ;)

So deliberate necromancy? And posting on the wrong board twice, talking about the 3.5 fighter on the 5e board and introducing homebrew outside the homebrew board. Please try and exercise a little Netiquette in future.

Klorox
2016-07-17, 10:46 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with the fighter as is.

The champion is viewed as the least effective and I'm playing a 5th level champion who is a load of fun as well as a very effective character.

Gastronomie
2016-07-18, 12:17 AM

The champion is viewed as the least effective and I'm playing a 5th level champion who is a load of fun as well as a very effective character.The truth is that Champion isn't really a weak class, because Fighter itself is already strong on its own. Sure, Superiority Dice are nice, and they're top-tier, but Champions are still far from "bad".

R.Shackleford
2016-07-18, 07:28 AM

The champion is viewed as the least effective and I'm playing a 5th level champion who is a load of fun as well as a very effective character.

The problem is that it does one thing in a game where almost every class does that same one thing well enough but can also do other things effectively.

Fighters are not an effective 5e character class because they only do one thing and almost everything they do revolves around using Character Options and not Class Options. Anytime they go outside of swinging a weapon there is always someone that does it better, without giving up their main thing.

In a system where everyone else is quite flexible, even the barbarian to an extent, having such a rigid class is just... Bad.

djreynolds
2016-07-18, 08:56 AM
Great thread, because I as well have just feat questions.

Defensive duelist... could be awesome, but it can wait til 14th, 16th, or 19th.

Magic initiate is very cool, but is your casting stat enough to make use of those cantrips. I might have a 14 in wisdom, that's including resilient wisdom. Unsure.

Ritual caster, is there someone else.

Alert.... yes. Especially if you dumped dex or its a 10. Laying out the wizard on his back may prove pivotal. You're perception may be so so, and the DM knows this, the assassin will come for you or the wizard you're protecting

Crossbow expert... the ability to use range in melee, big. Getting a bonus action, not bad.

Mage slayer... any creature, casters included who use any magic. Coupled with action surge you could possibly get to a caster and ruin his plans. But can you hit him?

How many levels is the campaign and do you start at level 1? Who else is there and what do they expect out of your fighter?

smcmike
2016-07-18, 09:11 AM
Omg please let this thread return to the graveyard.

AshurKane
2016-07-19, 12:08 PM
So deliberate necromancy? And posting on the wrong board twice, talking about the 3.5 fighter on the 5e board and introducing homebrew outside the homebrew board. Please try and exercise a little Netiquette in future.

I didn't look at the date, I was searching 3.5 fighters, and I don't really care about 5th Ed or your delicate sensibilities, so I apologize only for the wrong board...I will now put my head in the oven on 450° until I learn my lesson.

MaxWilson
2016-07-19, 04:31 PM

If the DM has a problem with this combo, he should just drop the Finesse requirement on Defensive Duelist. It's not like you can't parry with a greatsword.

Cybren
2016-07-19, 06:22 PM
If the DM has a problem with this combo, he should just drop the Finesse requirement on Defensive Duelist. It's not like you can't parry with a greatsword.
The D&D abstraction of all weapon reach into 5' increments doesn't help that one of the best advantages of a weapon like a greatsword is the range it gives you over other weapons. But that's the nature of D&D's combat system, and 5th editions desire for streamline gameplay. Then when you consider the absurdity of a rapier parrying an attack from an ogres 15lb club...